Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How big an upset was our playoff win vs Philly in '90?

Art Monk 4 HOF

I was too young to really remember that. I know that was the year of the "body bag" game against them when Brian Mitchell had to play QB and they taunted us. Also, stupid Eagles fans always talk about the '90 Eagles like that was the best defense ever created. How good was their D and how surprising was it that we won that game at the vet? Also, how gratifying a win was that; where does it rank on your list of Redskins wins?

I don't think it was really much of an upset......both teams had recent playoff experience.

But as far as gratification goes......I hate to say it, but that win may have been more satisfying than most of our SB wins (the one against Miami and the NFCCG game win against Dallas probably top it). I used to live in the Philly area and had to put up with that loudmouth Buddy Ryan when he came into the league. His first year in the league he predicted he'd go 8-0 in a divsion that included Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells, and (I think he was still there) Tom Landry-coached teams. He ordered Randall Cunningham to fake taking a knee and throw a bomb on the last play of a game to diss the Cowboys. Even then-Eagles owner Norm Braman had contempt for him, which is why Buddy got canned following the Skins win at the Vet in early '91. There was an article in the Wash Post magazine a few years later on Gibbs which clearly showed Joe's mood before that game and his disdain for Ryan. Occasionally someone will post the link and I still get chills when I read how fired up Gibbs was.

That game was a contributing factor to the break-up of me and my ex-girlfriend. I'm a die-hard Redskins fan and she's from South Jersey. So, she talked all this smack to me before the game. Then, when my team went up there and whooped their you-know-whats, I made sure she got it back ten-fold. If you're going to dish it out, you'd better be ready to take it. :eaglesuck

A sad thing is that I get the sense that Buddy Ryan is still more revered in Philadelphia than Andy Reid ever will be (well, maybe more love will be shown for AR if he gets an SB win, although he better not celebrate in tights). Buddy's bluster was apparently everything that the Eagles fans wanted to hear, although the guy never got past the second round of the playoffs.

Another sad thing is that, due to the Eagles not winning a Super Bowl yet, you'll see Philly fans point to the Body Bag Game as one of the all-time great Eagles moments, not even remembering what happened in the postseason later that year. What a shame.

Hard to remember, but I do think the Eagles were slight favorites at the time. Now, as significance goes, well, I think the Post book/story about the Skins sums it up best.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/172.htm

Joe Gibbs was mad. Sputtering mad. Red-faced mad. Punch-the-wall mad. The subject was Philadelphia Eagles Coach Buddy Ryan, and the more Gibbs talked about him, the madder he got. The words came in angry bursts, as if Gibbs were ready to deck the questioner, as if he hoped that Ryan would feel the punch in Philadelphia.

"I live to play a game like this one," Gibbs said. "I live to play this guy."

It was the first week of 1991, and the Redskins were facing a playoff game against the Eagles. While the Redskins had missed the playoffs the two previous seasons, Gibbs had lost none of his magic, especially in motivating his team. To help get the Redskins ready for the Eagles, he had taunted his players, saying:

"If you lose this game, Buddy Ryan is going to call you a bunch of fat asses like he did last time. If you don't mind being called a bunch of fat asses, that's your business."

Now it was two days before kickoff. In the parking lot at Redskin Park, Gibbs' car was still covered with snow that had fallen four days earlier. He had arrived for work late Sunday night after a meaningless December 30 victory over Buffalo to end the regular season, had spent New Year's Eve there and still had not left. During a break in a late-night meeting with his coaches, he encountered a reporter he knew well, and he finally let loose with thoughts and emotions he had long been holding back from the public.

In fact, for three days Gibbs had stood grim-faced and silent as reporters peppered him with questions about Ryan and the Eagles

That very day, Ryan had joked about how uptight Gibbs probably was, while he, Ryan, was loose and confident, knowing that he had a Super Bowl contender. Indeed, to help prepare for the Redskins, Ryan had taken his Eagles to Tampa, the site of Super Bowl XXVI, for a week of practice. "We plan to be back here," he said with a smile.

Yet when journalists pressed Gibbs to comment on Ryan, they got nothing. "Jump into the conversation at any point, Joe," one reporter joked. But Gibbs stood firm, arms folded across his chest, smiling a half-smile, simply talking about the challenge ahead.

Until that Wednesday night. Then the floodgates burst. Then the fury against Ryan poured out. Then it was clear that this would be more than a playoff game. Why? After all the big games the Redskins had played, why did this one take on such an extra dimension?

At Redskin Park, the answer was simple. Two months earlier, in a nationally televised Monday night game at Philadelphia's Veterans Stadium, the Eagles had beaten the Redskins badly. They had knocked nine Redskins, including two quarterbacks, out of the game. Five Redskins had to be carried off the field. The final score, 28-14, scarcely reflected the severity of the whipping.

Worse than the defeat were the accompanying insults. As the game wore down, an Eagle reacted to one injured Redskin lying on the turf by yelling, "Do you guys need any more body bags?" Another time an Eagle shouted, "You guys are going to need an extra bus just to carry all the stretchers!"

After the game it was even worse. The Eagles publicly poked fun at the Redskins, with Eagles defensive tackle Jerome Brown telling reporters, "They acted like they didn't want to play us anymore."

At Redskin Park, that game became known as The Body Bag Game, and it would be hard to underestimate its effect on a proud team filled with veterans like Joe Jacoby, Jeff Bostic, Earnest Byner, Art Monk and others. That game became the chief rallying cry for a stunning three-year run.

When the Redskins filed off their bus outside the Vet for that playoff game on January 4, 1991, they were stone-faced and determined. Gibbs had injected a Notre Dame-Miami hatred into them — and on the Redskins' first play from scrimmage, he was amazed by what he saw.

"The line of scrimmage just exploded," Gibbs said later. "Our guys knocked Philadelphia about seven yards back. That's the kind of day it had been. In that situation, you either run and hide or you respond like a champion. Our guys responded like champions."

The Redskins, in fact, played their best game since routing Denver in Super Bowl XXII. Rypien earned his playoff spurs with two touchdown passes. Byner chalked up 126 total yards. The Redskins defense forced three turnovers. Best of all was the sweet revenge of the final score: Redskins 20, Eagles 6.

"People threw dirt on us all year," Monte Coleman said. "They didn't know we had shovels."

Surely Ryan and the Eagles had never dreamed that their words would awaken an entire organization. The Redskins would win 23 of their next 28 games. They would make three straight playoff appearances and win their first-round contest each time. The season after the Body Bag Game, they would rip through the NFL like few teams in history, winning their first 11 regular-season games and then rolling over the Buffalo Bills, 37-24, in Super Bowl XXVI.

That is the link, PCS......awesome.

Another thing worth mentioning is the end of the game. Ryan didn't even have the class to come to the middle of the field to shake hands, and just waddled his fat a** toward the tunnel. Gibbs just gave him a dismissive wave, as if to say "A2YMF!" Everyone knew Buddy was toast, including Ryan himself.

I was too young to really remember that. I know that was the year of the "body bag" game against them when Brian Mitchell had to play QB and they taunted us. Also, stupid Eagles fans always talk about the '90 Eagles like that was the best defense ever created. How good was their D and how surprising was it that we won that game at the vet? Also, how gratifying a win was that; where does it rank on your list of Redskins wins?

I can't remember if we were an underdog in that game or not but if we were it was probably by 4 pts. or less. The Eagles "D" between 88-90 was extremely good and I would say they were great. They will never get the credit they deserved because there "O" was below average so they never won anything, and so many outside of Philly hated Ryan with a passion.

Yes that was a really sweet victory. I enjoyed throwing some mud back at the Eagle fans after that game. I for one didn't hate the Eagles back then the way I hate them and there fans now. I hated the Giants far more then the Eagles back then and would much rather have beaten the Giants under the similar circumstances.

Tommy, the Giants were probably the bigger rivals then due to both teams having Super Bowl pedigree. However, I always felt there was a great deal of respect between the two teams that extended from the coaches (although I think Gibbs is getting frustrated that he can't seem to beat the Tuna no matter what team BP coaches!). Ryan was an obnoxious intruder.....I'd love to hear what Tuna thought of him back then......I think the extent of the camraderie among the three coaches may have been in a Slim-Fast commercial!

I think we were slight dogs in that one, but it was no great upset.

Will never forget Byner's "fumble" which was returned for a TD ... only to be called back (obviously correctly, by the way since the ground caused the "fumble") allowing the Skins to keep the ball deep in Philly territory. That was the knife in their heart in that one. A very positive memory of instant replay.

This was the first away game that I ever went to. My cousin and I went on a bus tour. We sat up in the 700 section. I remember Byner getting tackled and the ground contact made the ball come loose. The eagles fans thought it was a fumble. Anyone with a lick of sense knew that it wasn't. After that I went to the restroom and an eagle fan was ripping down the bathroom stall!

Sweeeeeet.

I had the flu really bad that Monday night when we went into Philly. I figured that nothing could make me feel better than a nice win over the Eagles. Instead, it was about the most humiliating way you could possibly lose. A rookie named Brian Mitchell had to finish the game under center because we had no QBs left.

Then the playoff game. That was about as sweet as it gets for a non-Super Bowl win. Philly came storming out of the gates too - they hit Fred Barnett for like a 70 yard gain on their first possession. But the defense held them to a field goal. The rest of the game was all about our Oline. They got into a groove and controlled the contest.

Then we went and lost in San Francisco the next week. Perhaps because they were better but maybe because it was a letdown game after being so pumped for the Eagles.

Unfortunately, we did the Giants a HUGE favor for the second time in 5 years. We beat the Eagles who had played them tougher than anyone during that time. They went on to win the Super Bowl. In 1986, we beat the 15-1 Bears in Chicago which was the first huge favor. The Giants had been knocked out of the playoffs 2 years running by Chicago. What do they do? They shut us out in the Meadowlands and then go on to win the title. :doh:

It was a slight upset. The Eagles and Redskins were pretty even back then. Always played close games. If that game were at RFK, we would have been slight favorites. The "Body Bag" game just made it more personal....and satisfying when they went into the Vet and really put a whipping on the Eagles. The funny thing is (and this is typical Eagle fans...Extremeskins members notwithstanding) you hear from time to time fans bring up the "Body Bag" game like it's some sort of historic big deal. They never want to be reminded of how the Redskins won the game that mattered...the one in January that very same season. Typical Eagles....play like Tarzan Sept-Dec and like Jane in January. :D

As far as the defense is concerned, the 90 Eagles were good, but I think the 1991 Eagle defense might be one of the best I remember seeing. They sort of get lost because Buddy wasn't coaching there anymore and thanks to losing Cunningham in the first game, they had no offense and missed the playoffs.

As far as the defense is concerned, the 90 Eagles were good, but I think the 1991 Eagle defense might be one of the best I remember seeing. They sort of get lost because Buddy wasn't coaching there anymore and thanks to losing Cunningham in the first game, they had no offense and missed the playoffs.

Last defense to be #1 across the board in total d, rush d and pass d I believe. What made it even more amazing is that their offense was either dead last or close to it. They had some collection of Brad Goebel, Jeff Kemp, and some other chump under center who I can't remember. They acutally won 10 games that season.

Last defense to be #1 across the board in total d, rush d and pass d I believe. What made it even more amazing is that their offense was either dead last or close to it. They had some collection of Brad Goebel, Jeff Kemp, and some other chump under center who I can't remember. They acutally won 10 games that season.

I don't recall their offense being that bad. Wasn't Randal Cunningham a Pro Bowl QB on that Eagles team, with McMahon backing him up? Keith Jackson (TE) was a Pro Bowl TE on that team I believe. Think they had RB by committee, though.

Don't think so. :)

Would you believe they were 3rd in points scored that year?

1990 Philadelphia Eagles

Record: 10 - 6 - 0

Head Coach: Buddy Ryan

Points scored: 396 (#3 of 28 in the NFL)

Points allowed: 299 (#12 of 28 in the NFL)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi1990.htm

Boy - who's on first here?

Look back at this thread. My response was to scruffy who segued to the 1991 team. That's when I recalled how they were #1 ATB in defensive rankings but had a lousy Offense.

Then you thought I was talking about the 1990 team and recalled how Cunningham was great that season and didn't remember a lousy Eagle offense. That's where the misunderstanding started.

"Talking about 1991" was my way of saying that the conversation had changed and we were talking about the 1991 squad.

Boy - who's on first here?

Look back at this thread. My response was to scruffy who segued to the 1991 team. That's when I recalled how they were #1 ATB in defensive rankings but had a lousy Offense.

Then you thought I was talking about the 1990 team and recalled how Cunningham was great that season and didn't remember a lousy Eagle offense. That's where the misunderstanding started.

"Talking about 1991" was my way of saying that the conversation had changed and we were talking about the 1991 squad.

And there was light! :laugh:

In any case, Kleese was correct. Ryan was a buffoon, which he would go on to show many more times in his wonderful, illustrious career.

(What? I don't know) :)

Sorry about inserting 91 into this thread. :D

Yeah Buddy did a good job at building his D in Philly, in a way it was too bad (for him) that he had Cunningham. Cunningham was such a weapon that he pretty much told Randall, "Hey you go do it yourself and we'll win it on D". If he actually showed any interest in building his offense, in particular his offensive line, Buddy might have had a Super Bowl team.

Oh Well.... :eaglesuck

The three games between the Skins and Eagles in 1990 were classics. There was the controversial PI call on a bomb from Humphries to Monk that helped give the Skins the 13-7 win in game 1. Game 2 was on MNF and was the bodybag game in which the Eagles put 10 Skins players on IR and won 28-14. Game 3 was the 20-6 playoff win for the Skins. The play I remember most was a fumble return by Ben Smith which the replay booth overturned.

Archived