Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Greg Williams Play Possum Sunday?

Charlie Murphaaay

With all of this talk about Greg Williams and his aggressive blitzing schemes, it would be interesting to see if he will blitz Orton early and often Sunday.

However, I think he may lay off of the blitz early and play zone, and make Orton make sound decisions, while sparingly blitzing. I just wonder how Orton would handle expecting the a barage of blitzes all week, only to have Williams do the total opposite.

The great defensive coordinators including Greg Willams, and others like Belichick know that the key to blitzing his timing. I've notice how sometimes they may wait until critical times in the 4th quarter to blitz.

Just wondering if you guys think it will even matter if the skins blitz outright or sparingly against Orton this Sunday.

If I remember right, in the Spurrier era, when we couldnt' pick up a blitz for the life of us, the seahawks did what you're suggesting and played zone. It didn't work out well for htem.

You run the kind of defense you think they're suceptible to, and keep it up until it doesn't work anymore. Then you think about changing it up.

I think he releases the hounds early. The worst thing you can do is sit back and let Orten gain confidence by completing the little dink dunk short passes Chi will have him throwing to start the game. We dont know much about Orten on the pro level, and letting him get in a rythme and gain confidence against your D could be dangerous. Sack him early. Show him the speed of the game (you cant simulate real game speed in practice or in preseason) which he hasn't yet experienced. Force him to make quick, poor decisions, and this defense may create turnovers early and should have a flustered kyle Orten in their back pocket the rest of the game.

We do that, game over -

We win, cheers

:cheers:

why read and react and give Orton a chance to develop a rhythm?

I say go 100% from the start to take over the line of scrimmage, rattle this guy and prevent Thomas Jones from even getting started out of the backfield.

Arrington and Taylor are two athletes the Bears are not adequately prepared to defend in up the field roles.

Take advantage of that early and late :D

I think I would open this game just Williams opened the preseason game with Atlanta last year. Bring everything. Aim for 3 and out or an early turnover, just like that game. Then once you have the kids head on a swival and him wondering where the next guy is coming from go to the zone.

Of course, there is a good reason Williams will be coaching the defense from the sideline on sunday while I am at home drinking beer on my coach while I watch the game. :D

Archived