Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Noble injures knee again

Dead Money

http://www.wvec.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8CGU98G1.html

Noble injures knee again

09/09/2005

By JOSEPH WHITE / Associated Press

Washington Redskins defensive tackle Brandon Noble injured his left knee again and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears.

Noble landed awkwardly on the knee during Thursday's practice. An MRI revealed some cartilage damage.

"I don't think it's anything real bad," coach Joe Gibbs said Friday. "But he had a little twinge there."

Noble had reconstructive surgery after tearing three ligaments in the same knee two years ago and missed the entire season. This year he had minor surgery and a severe infection in his right knee, causing him to miss the offseason conditioning program.

Safety Ryan Clark (knee) and linebacker Chris Clemons (hamstring) have essentially been ruled out for Sunday's game because neither was able to practice at all this week. Receiver Taylor Jacobs did practice on his injured toe, but Gibbs said Jacobs' status will not be determined until Sunday.

___

CONFUSING, BUT NOT COMPLICATED: The Redskins' defense surprised the league last season with their No. 3 ranking, but they were only 22nd in forcing turnovers. The defense also scored just once — when Antonio Pierce returned an interception 78 yards for a touchdown against San Francisco.

"I believe we were good statistics-wise, but we didn't dominate," linebacker Lemar Marshall said. "And that's something we've got to do this year. Get a lot more turnovers, put the ball in the end zone a lot more, just dominate. You don't want to just settle. We were good last year, but that was last year."

Assistant coach Gregg Williams emphasized turnovers during training camp. The coach also has added a few pages to the play book — he now has 21 different combinations of player packages ready for any given Sunday.

Williams said the packages are designed to confuse the opposing offense, which could lead to more turnovers. He said, for example, that sometimes the quarterback might not even be sure which player is playing middle linebacker.

Then, in classic Williams style, he lectured reporters for implying the defense is complex.

"You all spread the myth out there that what we do is complicated, and that kind of tells me that you don't know much about football when you say that," Williams said. "Because if you watch what we do, we're not real complicated. We're very simple, but what we do is we utilize personnel as well as anybody in the National Football League."

___

EXTRA POINTS: After Friday's practice, LB LaVar Arrington ran shirtless through the hall outside the locker room yelling "No shirt day! No shirt day!" Williams saw the scene and said, "Like a little kid at recess." ... Given the state of the Bears offense, the Redskins have a chance to break a 14-year drought Sunday: They haven't shut out a team since a 23-0 whitewash of Philadelphia on Sept. 30, 1991.

He hasn't been on any injury reports. I doubt that means he's totally recovered but I suppose it implies his injury is less than Jansen's, Clark's, or Clemons'

With Clark out for sure I guess he's playing no matter how recovered he is. Just wonder if he's starting.

What happened to Salavea... he was awesome last year but you don't hear much about him anymore... I'm confident he will step up, but I hate the fact that Noble is hurt... AGAIN

Salavea isn't gone anywhere...He is the starter next to Griffen However, Coach Williams likes to rotate him with Noble to help keep them fresh.

No need for alarm. Noble's good, but there are adequate subs (Salave'a, Boschetti, Killings, Jones) waiting in the wings. Griffin's the anchor on the D-line and he appears more than ready to terrorize Kyle Orton. They could adapt the scheme to compensate his loss without losing a beat. Were going to have a bearskin rug in the teepee after Sunday :)

No need for alarm. Noble's good, but there are adequate subs (Salave'a, Boschetti, Killings, Jones) waiting in the wings. Griffin's the anchor on the D-line and he appears more than ready to terrorize Kyle Orton. They could adapt the scheme to compensate his loss without losing a beat. We're going to have a bearskin rug in the teepee after Sunday :)

Archived