Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins and Patriots similarities

rdsknsfan4life

Does anyone else see similarities this year between the Skins and the Patriots?

These are the similarities I see:

Tenacious, agressive defense

Strong running game

Small elusive recieving corps

Selfless, team first attitude

Excellent coaching staff

I was watching the Pats/Raiders game last night and thought the Redskins and the Patriots are using the same formula to win. Honestly, the Patriots have shown it will work and I don't see why the Skins can't make it work too.

However, the Patriots do have one thing we don't...Tom Brady. That just drives home my point that this season all rests on the shoulders of Patrick Ramsey. As he goes so goes the season.

Here's hoping for a great year...it could happen!

I think the Patriots are a bad thing for us fans.

They are so unspectacularly spectacular that fans of EVERY NFL team can realistically think that his team is built similarly. The Pats are a group of hard-working, blue collar players led by a great coach.

I'm not saying that your similarities aren't somewhat accurate...but almost every team in the league could use a little imagination to compare their roster to the Pats.

Just my opinion.

until the Redskins win games any comparison is tenuous. but the SEEDS are there for this team to be one that wins more games on the field than many think it should based on the talent on paper :)

and THAT was the signature of the 80s Redskins as well as the current Patriots.

The 2001 Patriots much like the 1982 Redskins were looked at as a fluke, a team that came up from nowhere and would quickly go back down to where it belonged.

But it didn't happen :)

And hopefully this team can and will suprise a lot of people in 2005.

The Pats and the Skins in the SB, Gibbs does it in his second year again.

They're both built around tough D's, both have great coaches and both have similar QBs. I would say the Skins are more like the Pats ov 01' not 05' though.

Not comparing Ramsey to Brady yet, but their abilities are similar, Ramsey's decision making just has to improve, but who thought Tom Brady would do what he did in 01'?

They have another thing we don't (besides Brady). Excellent special teams play and they don't get penalized much. Until we fix those 2 things we can't be considered a great team.

Other differences:

-Brady doesnt turn over the ball. He doesnt fumble and he rarely throws Int's. I think he went 12 games straight (or something like that I'll have to look up the exact number), between two seasons ago and last season without an Int. Even Peyton Manning can't boast that.

-The Pat's front 4 on Defense can put pressure on the QB without a blitz. Heck, they pressured/sacked Collins a few times last night with only a 3 man front. When you do that the blitz becomes icing on the cake. The Skins D line, although great against the run, struggle to put any pressure on opposing quarterbacks without a blitzing back of some kind. Look for the skins to get burned a few times this season for long plays because of this (unless Phillip Daniels turns out to be the pass rusher he was advertised to be). In close games that could be the difference.

-Probably most importantly the Pat's defense creates turn overs. The skins defense, as good as it was last season, was 22nd in creating turn overs. This is huge in my opinion. I would take a 10th-15th ranked defense that was a leader in causing turn overs, over a number 1 defense with few turnovers any day. Especially with a struggling offense, turn overs are more likely to turn into points then 3 and out, punts. (not that the skins will struggle offensively this year...that's yet to be seen. And with the pat's O on point most of the time, turn overs are more likely to mean points for them.) :2cents:

Patriots (1) commit fewer penalties; (2) have a better turnover ratio; and (3) have Tom Brady.

We can hopefully fix (1) and (2), but Patrick Ramsey has a ways to go before I stop wishing we had Brady as our quarterback.

What's right to point out is that we're developing team unity, which is something the Patriots have in lots. We also have the "tenacious, agressive defense," "strong running game" and "excellent coaching staff." To be determined if our "small elusive recieving corps" can execute as well as the Patriots' can, but I like our chances...

This is why Ramsey is so key. Since I'm confident in our coaching staff's ability to fix penalties and turnovers, it really comes down to Ramsey whether or not we become a contender this year.

Brady has 3 rings, Manning has 0. Manning is a heck of a QB, puts up great numbers, does a lot. But the bottom line is Brady does what it takes to WIN! no matter what! Whether it be a certain play he call, or audible, or a decision to check down or throw the ball way, he seems to have what it takes to lead his team to victory, like no QB in history

Tom Brady is the best QB in the league. I dont care what numbers manning or cullpepper put up. Its Brady hands down and he is the number 1 reason for thier succsses.

I concur. Brady is superbly accurate and uncannily cognisant of where his receivers are as well as where the DBs are. His arm doesn't look weak to me, either. (Some have mentioned this in the past) Brady's poise in the pocket is unparalleled.

The Patriots' offense runs almost like clockwork. Everyone runs the right routes, blocks well, and is in the right place at the right time. They're automatons that don't think, they just execute nearly flawlessly.

It's rather sickening and a bit boring, actually.

The Skins are not like the Patriots. :)

:logo:

Does anyone else see similarities this year between the Skins and the Patriots?

These are the similarities I see:

Tenacious, agressive defense

Strong running game

Small elusive recieving corps

Selfless, team first attitude

Excellent coaching staff

I was watching the Pats/Raiders game last night and thought the Redskins and the Patriots are using the same formula to win. Honestly, the Patriots have shown it will work and I don't see why the Skins can't make it work too.

However, the Patriots do have one thing we don't...Tom Brady. That just drives home my point that this season all rests on the shoulders of Patrick Ramsey. As he goes so goes the season.

Here's hoping for a great year...it could happen!

Lets not forget that both teams are worth over $1 billion

the greatest similarity is the attention to detail of the coaching staffs. the Patriots obviously are further along in having a well run machine operating, but Gibbs and Williams don't tolerate loafers and football players that continue to make stupid plays.

remember a couple of years ago watching Regan Upshaw get all those personal foul penalties and then laugh about it on Monday to the media?

you think you would see that now with Williams and his position coach Blache watching?

remember a couple of years ago watching Regan Upshaw get all those personal foul penalties and then laugh about it on Monday to the media?

bulldog, you are killing me taking me back to all of these painful memories... j/k

At least I can laugh about it now...a little

:twitch:

Im sorry you know I was going to just lurk until the first game of the season but I just cant do it. ;)

The patriots and the redskins as a team have very little in common, either in player personnel or in scheme.

On offense, Brady passes as much as we run the ball. Dillon ran the ball 23 times last night, and most of that was in junk time trying to eat the clock in the 4th quarter.

Look at defense. Besides the obvious that they play the 3-4, they have one of the best front 4’s in football getting pressure on the QB as well as stopping the run. What Warren, Wilfork and Seymour can do on their own, it takes at least 5 players on our D to accomplish.

With that in mind, they also drop at least 3 LB’s into coverage most of the time. When was the last time you saw more than 1 LB in coverage?

As much as Norval is a touchy subject in BnG land, this team has more in common with the Raiders, especially on defense. The Raiders front 4 did a very good job stopping the run, limiting Dillon to 2.7 ypc, but could place ZERO pressure on the QB without a jailbreak effort.

Archived