Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rest In Peace Vince!

SKINS@THEGOALLINE

Thirty-five years ago today (9/3/70) Vince Lombardi passed away. His name will always be associated with football, in fact, the superbowl trophy is called the Lombardi trophy. He will probably always be known for coaching the Green Bay Packers but spent his final year in Washington coaching the Redskins. Hats off to you, Vince.

"Any man not fired with enthusiasm, will be fired with enthusiasm" ---Vince Lombardi

if Lombardi had lived the Redskins would have been a perennial playoff team in the 1970's as they were under Allen, the difference is that he would used some of those draft choices Allen gave away to take players that would become the NFL stars that he had in Green Bay.

No doubt in my mind the Landry Cowboys and Grant Vikings would have had a run for their money as the NFC team of the decade :)

Lombardi is the ONLY coach that I'd still rank up there with Gibbs if Gibbs wins(or even gets to) another Super Bowl.

I read the biography (when pride mattered) and it was amazing. Not a perfect man, by any stretch, but still a good man and ahead of his time on a few social issues(not tolerating mistreatment of gay players or blacks) while still upholding decent values.

And obviously a fantastic coach.

"Football is not a contact sport. Dancing is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport."

Vince Lombardi

God I remember '69. I'd been a fan since I was 6 in 62, and this was the first winning season I saw. Bulldog you are right. We would have won titles in the 70's if he hadn't died. Allen was great but not at that level.

Archived