Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My opinion of our Wide Receivers...

Commander Adama

After watching Moss and Patten on Friday's game, I was truly impressed. Santana not only had blazing speed, but fought for every yard after the catch. Some very nice spin moves, and going for the extra yards even though he was going to be hit. The same with Patten. They worked hard on every play. One big pet peeve of mine is when Halfbacks and Wide Receivers head out of bounds when they are going to be hit. I can understand if they are trying to stop the gameclock, but any other time is just it's just a half-hearted attempt. In the Pitt game, they fought for every yard and took the hits to get extra yardage. I can't wait to see Taylor Jacobs and Kevin Dyson out there.

i think many reporters will be eating some crow about stating the skins receiver corp is less talented than last years group...i watched some of the jets game this past weekend and coles will was quick on the straight running his cuts just didnt look right..me thinks that big toe is still not right.

If you ask some Jets fans, they will tell you that the "spin move" is about the only "move" he's got, and that it gets old. Of course, they only said this after he's no longer a Jet.

If you look at his past highlights though, the guy does do it very often.

the same one's who said he was better than Coles too, right? ...until now ;)

I really like our WRs, much better then last years crap of not holding onto the ball. Although I did see Dyson couldn't handle the high pass while being hit. Moss and Patten seem to be a great fit to our offensive scheme, as we see it so far through preseason.

Guest sith lord

I always thought this years crop of recievers were better than last years. We have speed, which we didn't have last year. And we have recievers that can make plays and run after the catch, unlike last year.

So far i am happy with what I've seen in Moss and Patten. But let's be honest, if either guy goes down with an injury, the Skins do not have a legitimate passing game. James Thrash would not start for any other team in the league.

I find it increasingly difficult to put so much emphasis on QB play when the Skins have the worst TEs in the league and one of the worst receiving units. Yes, i like Moss, Patten, and even Brown...but after that the drop off is steep. Dyson is a joke.

Mike Williams would have been a nice addition, not to mention Heath Miller.

So far i am happy with what I've seen in Moss and Patten. But let's be honest, if either guy goes down with an injury, the Skins do not have a legitimate passing game. James Thrash would not start for any other team in the league.

I find it increasingly difficult to put so much emphasis on QB play when the Skins have the worst TEs in the league and one of the worst receiving units. Yes, i like Moss, Patten, and even Brown...but after that the drop off is steep. Dyson is a joke.

Hey now, don't forget Taylor Jacobs. If he can stay healthy that is. Coach and the staff have had nothing but good things to say about the guy.

Guest sith lord

Yeah, but every team has that problem.

Thrash is a great piece to our puzzle. I would be less scared with Thrash stepping in in the case of an injury than Darkerian! Thrash get a lot of crap around here for a guy who does nothing but work. He's got good hands and he takes advantage of every opportunity he is given. We need more Thrash's in this world!

Hey now, don't forget Taylor Jacobs. If he can stay healthy that is. Coach and the staff have had nothing but good things to say about the guy.

I'm not forgetting about Jacobs. He is an average NFL receiver with a propensity for injuries. He is average. When i look at other teams rosters, I see several legitimate playmakers amidst the TE and WRs. Just look at the Giants.

I'm not here to blow sunshine up anyone's behind. I like Patten a lot. But one injury to this unit and we're right back to running the ball all game and throwing quick hitch passes. Chris Cooley is a nice complimentary player, but this team is not good enough to throw the ball (in the regular season) the way they have thus far (in the preseason) as evidenced by all the turnovers.

Again, adding a Mike Williams or a Heath Miller to this offense makes a big difference. Ask yourself: did the Redskins forsee cutting McCants back on draft day? If not (which i imagine they didn't) then their decision to pass on another playmaker was justified. However, that was a mistake because McCants is now off to another team and the Redskins are short on redzone receivers.

Portis is really going to have to step it up as a receiver downfield. Something I think he is more than capable of doing after what i saw last year.

In 2 posts out of 2 posts I have read by you, it was complaining about Mike Williams. It's ok 825patb, you go through the grieving process as long as you want. You're almost to the last stage, which is acceptance. As far as Heath Miller is concerned: Chris Cooley > Heath Miller.

In 2 posts out of 2 posts I have read by you, it was complaining about Mike Williams. It's ok 825patb, you go through the grieving process as long as you want. You're almost to the last stage, which is acceptance. As far as Heath Miller is concerned: Chris Cooley > Heath Miller.

:applause:

Thrash is a great piece to our puzzle. I would be less scared with Thrash stepping in in the case of an injury than Darkerian! Thrash get a lot of crap around here for a guy who does nothing but work. He's got good hands and he takes advantage of every opportunity he is given. We need more Thrash's in this world!

Totally agree about Thrash. :applause:

Yeah, but every team has that problem.

Most teams have one fo the following:

Above average QB

Above average WRs

Above average TEs

Unfortunately, the Skins do not have any of these.

Take Detroit, they have above average WRs, so do the Giants, Raiders, Cardinals, Rams...

Atlanta, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philly... all have above average QBs.

Some teams have more than one of the above like Indy, the Chiefs, Seattle, San Diego, New England.

All of these teams throw the ball better than the Skins because they have some edge whether it be better receivers, wideouts, TEs, whatever.

Just keep this in mind before you try to evaluate the QBs because they're fighting an up-hill battle given the weapons in the offense.

It is obvious that the coaching staff weighed the pros and cons of have having a TE and WR and both times came up looking towards filling holes in the defense. We don't need a high power offense to win. We just need an offense that doesn't cause turnovers and can run down the clock.

Gibbs and Williams are playing towards our strengths (defense) on a proven model (ravens). Wear down their defense, keep ours fresh and hopefully score a touchdown or two through the running game.

Gibbs and Williams are playing towards our strengths (defense) on a proven model (ravens). Wear down their defense, keep ours fresh and hopefully score a touchdown or two through the running game.

if this is the model, then don't expect much from Ramsey. Don't expect Drew Bledsoe because he simply doesn't have the supporting cast. Expect Trent Dilfer if that's the model.

Personally, i think they thought McCants would come through as a redzone target and that was a mistake.

The Skins were terrible in the redzone last year, and I don't see how that has been improved.

Guest sith lord
Most teams have one fo the following:

Above average QB

Above average WRs

Above average TEs

Unfortunately, the Skins do not have any of these.

Take Detroit, they have above average WRs, so do the Giants, Raiders, Cardinals, Rams...

Atlanta, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philly... all have above average QBs.

Some teams have more than one of the above like Indy, the Chiefs, Seattle, San Diego, New England.

All of these teams throw the ball better than the Skins because they have some edge whether it be better receivers, wideouts, TEs, whatever.

Just keep this in mind before you try to evaluate the QBs because they're fighting an up-hill battle given the weapons in the offense.

True, but you can still win with an average QB and average recievers. 2000 Ravens anyone? Actually, I think our recievers are a little better than average. All you need is a good O-Line and a good defense and everything else will fall into place.

Archived