Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My opinion of our Wide Receivers...

Commander Adama

if this is the model, then don't expect much from Ramsey. Don't expect Drew Bledsoe because he simply doesn't have the supporting cast. Expect Trent Dilfer if that's the model.

Personally, i think they thought McCants would come through as a redzone target and that was a mistake.

The Skins were terrible in the redzone last year, and I don't see how that has been improved.

They are definitly going to improve in the red zone this year because the offensive line is improved tremendously. (i.e. Jansen, Rabach, and Dockery 3rd yr)

The vote of contentment was cast on draft day. The Redskins decided to pass on offensive weapons for a much needed defensive player and a back-up QB.

Ramsey is not the problem. Brunnell is not the problem. The passing offense is the problem. The Redskins are not going to overwhelm anyone with their receivers (TE included). Tight end is an increasingly important position in the NFL, but the Redskins have continued to ignore upgrading this position. Let's compare just last year's stats for tight ends in the NFC East:

-Jeremy Schockey (61 receptions, 666 yards, 6TDs)

-LJ Smith (34 Receptions, 377 yards, 5TDs)

-Jason Witten (87 receptions, 980 yards, 6TDs)

-Robert Royal (to the joker who doesn't know his stats...4 TDs, 8 receptions (8!), 70 yards...for the season he had 70 yards!)

Even Philly has a better TE and last time I checked their passing game also includes TO and McNabb. How can Ramsey be chastized for not playing better when his safety valve is Robert Royal?

Ramsey is not perfect but the passing game is a function fo the entire offense, not just the QB.

825--you may not know this,but the Skins drafted this dude named Chris Cooley. Turns out he's pretty good and if you read actual interviews and analysis,you even discover that he OFTEN lines up at TE. As an "H-Back" he does a lot of things, INCLUDING TE. Just as Wycheck did.

Guess Wycheck didn't exist on the Titans since he did MORE Than just play TE, eh?

If you ask some Jets fans, they will tell you that the "spin move" is about the only "move" he's got, and that it gets old. Of course, they only said this after he's no longer a Jet.

If you look at his past highlights though, the guy does do it very often.

Who cares! As long as he get's the job done, I don't give a f%#k what moves he does....

The vote of contentment was cast on draft day. The Redskins decided to pass on offensive weapons for a much needed defensive player and a back-up QB.

Ramsey is not the problem. Brunnell is not the problem. The passing offense is the problem. The Redskins are not going to overwhelm anyone with their receivers (TE included). Tight end is an increasingly important position in the NFL, but the Redskins have continued to ignore upgrading this position. Let's compare just last year's stats for tight ends in the NFC East:

-Jeremy Schockey (61 receptions, 666 yards, 6TDs)

-LJ Smith (34 Receptions, 377 yards, 5TDs)

-Jason Witten (87 receptions, 980 yards, 6TDs)

-Robert Royal (to the joker who doesn't know his stats...4 TDs, 8 receptions (8!), 70 yards...for the season he had 70 yards!)

Even Philly has a better TE and last time I checked their passing game also includes TO and McNabb. How can Ramsey be chastized for not playing better when his safety valve is Robert Royal?

Ramsey is not perfect but the passing game is a function fo the entire offense, not just the QB.

A true TE in the redskins offensive is more of a blocker than a reciever. Thats why we use an HB (the position chris cooley plays). He had 6td's last year and this year his numbers should be much better. And I would take Cooley over all those TE's listed except maybe not whitten.

I like the synergy represented by Moss, Patten Thrash and Brown. They may not be all world individually, but in the various pkgs. in which they will be used the sum is greater than the parts. Add also the incremental receiving skills of Cooley, Portis, Betts et al ... the receiving component certainly is adequate enough for a playoff contender given the expected terrific contirbution by the defense. TJacobs and Mr. X are gravey at this juncture.

Our main issue in the red zone was pre snap mistakes followed by inconsistent line play. As far as WR play, sure there are several receivers that I'd rather have but they were not available or other needs were more important to overall performance. So, no they are not the best, but even if our offense is just marginally better than last year, we'll do good.

BTW, with the exception of the early part of last year, Ramsey is a pretty good red-zone QB.

Archived