Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell's Recovery?

Mooka

This is not a Ramsey thread. Don't go there. This is about Brunell's "recovery"

I've been reading about Brunell's arm for the last week. Many of you keep bringing up an injury being the cause of Brunell's horrid play last year.

Rod Gardner after the Chicago Game:

"I said before, Mark has a hose. He has a very strong arm. It's totally bogus. Some of those balls you see, he's under pressure. He can throw that rock. People are looking for excuses because he's older. It's not because of his arm."

What are you guys basing this injury on? What kind of injury do you think he had? (has ;))

I would love to believe it because I was dumb-founded on how bad Brunell was last year. I'm very skeptical though.

This "injury" obviously wasn't bad enough to keep him from playing last season. I'm assuming that this "injury" would be from his elbow bursa sac surgery of 2003 considering he never actually re-injured it last year. If he did re-injure the elbow then why didn't he miss any games? If it was a different injury then when did it happen? Why didn't he miss any games if it was so bad?

I'm not buying that this "injury" has miraculously healed itself. Brunell is damaged goods. He has played through various injuries his whole career and its finally caught up to him. He has a history of hamstring and arm injuries and has had a couple concussions.

Face it guys your seeing the same Brunell as last year. The same Brunell that played well in last year's pre-season. (against starters) The same Brunell that couldn't get the job done.

:2cents:

Mooka, when we signed Brunell last off-season he was recovering from elbow surgery that he had...That's why Leftwich took over in Jax b/c Mark got hurt...Plus he had a bad knee and hamstring all last yr...

He is definately the same Brunell but just healthier...

I think the hamstring injury in game 2 really messed up Brunnell--he is a mobile QB, and he really uses his legs to throw. He doesn't have that classic Marino laser--instead he uses the legs for power. When he hurt the hammy, that all went south. Now the hammy is better, and he can get something behind it again. He also looks more comfortable moving and throwing--his forte.

But he still can't zing it into tight spots from the pocket, I think. He's always best when the play breaks down and he's on the move.

This is only speculation...

He played his best game the next week because he was gutting it out... bucking up and trying to take the team on his back. Unfortunately, I think playing week after week never allowed his hamstring to heal and the loss of his legs began to hurt the strength of his arm.

I agree with above... he's using his legs now and you can see the power being generated in his arm through his footwork.

And to all of this add.

First year in a new sysem.

First year with a new coach who was out of the league for a decade and whos system was outdated and who probably didnt know the best way to use him yet.

Add an offensive line missing the starting blind side OT in Jansen and a iffy Center in Raymer.

Him looking so good has to do with all of these things, not any one of them.

He has his legs back now, he knows the system, and he has a stud O line blocking for him.

He also have WR who run more precise routes and who have blazing speed.

This all adds up to him looking for much better.

With the team around him that he has this year, he would be effective in more them down field and not making as many mistakes as Ramsey. He looks off the recievers better then Ramsey. Ramsey probably can make more big plays but Brunell will play smarter and make less big stupid plays.

Thats pretty much what we have at this point.

This is good. At least we have something to pick from. I hope they both play better this year.

Originally posted by laurent

If I remember correctly Brunell was still recovering from a knee injury when he signed with us. Add to this his hamstring problems and I could see how that affect his ability to throw the ball.

Originally posted by Highway66

Sometimes those surgeries take longer than 1 yr for 100% recovery

so you guys are saying we traded for a old QB that wasn't fully healed from various injuries? How did he pass the physical?

Originally posted by wskin44

My cousin is a jax fan and says that Brunell's arm looked strong in pre-season for them the last few years. Then when the regular season gets underway the arm strength fades.

Sounds right to me. I seriously doubt he can start 16 games anymore.

Archived