Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Here Ride Motorcycles?

Ignatius J.

I've been living in LA for about 6 years, and I have come to the conclusion that between traffic, parking, and gas prices, motorcycles are the way to travel around this city. I'm just beginning to look into this seriously so I figured I'd put a thread out to see what the peanuts have to say.

I want to learn how to ride a bike, but I feel a little old to start. I have a friend who just started and he said the best thing to do is to take a class on riding, so I'm looking for some classes to take, but I'm having trouble finding some. I've tried googleing various places, but I have yet to find anything interesting. (If anyone knows of any motorcycle schools in LA I'd love to hear from you!)

I also am curious about bikes. I've heard that it's best to start on a weak engine at most 300cc's, so I don't accdientally flip the bike over. Other than that I have no idea where to start looking for a bike.

What's the best way to learn about bikes? There are so many things on the internet that it's as if there were no information at all.

Anyway, any words on the subject would be appreciated. (although, if we could keep the kellen winslow and jay williams references to aminimum that'd be great)

For riding courses or schools, A.B.A.T.E should be able to help you find one. I'm not pro ABATE being they are big into no helmet fight around the country, but there is a lot they can offer to new riders.

The American Motorcycle Association (AMA ) should also be able to help you find the classes you need.

If all else fails, most of your reputable dealers have info on local riding courses. Many schools supply small cc bikes to learn on.

I agree with Chocolate to some extent. A smaller CC bike is the right place to start. Though I'm not sure I would go with a used bike. Being you know little about how a bike should feel, you could have a poor running machine which will hinder you learning, and possablly put you into a dangerous situation.

If your serious, bite the bullet, and get a new bike. It will also be easier to sell when you move up to something bigger. The biggest thing is to figure out what style of bike your most comfortable riding.

You basically have three styles of bikes, Standard, Sport, and Cruiser. You have duel sport also, but they kind of fall into the standard style when it comes to seating position.

Standards and duel sport are by far the easiest to learn on IMO. You sit upright, with your feet directly under you.

bonneville_blue.jpg

It's a given that sport will have you leaning forward, and feet under you bringing your knees closer to yous torso. Sport bikes arent as good at low speed tight turns like you encounter in parking lots. They have less steering lock then any other bikes, but have far greater lean angles. I think it's a natural riding position to many being we grew up on bycycles that had you over the bars.

G_650_1.JPG

Cruisers tend to have you leaning back, and your feet forward of your body. Personally, I've always felt weird in this riding position, but most of the bikes I've owned over the past 28 some odd years have been sport, or standard modifyed into sport.

AMERICA_3.jpg

The three pics are all Triumph motorcycles, and I don't recomend them unless you want to keep the bike for a long time being there a bit pricy compared to the Asian bikes.

Chocolate rides a Duel sport BMW 650, and other then problems he's had with the bike, it's a great bike to commute on. Light and nimble. I commute on a Triumph Bonneville (first pic) which to me is one of the best all around bikes on the market. I chose it for comfort, and overall performance.

When I have a few minutes, I'll post some of the bikes I would recomend for you to learn on. We have a riding school that works closely with our shop, so I deal with new riders all the time.

:cheers:

Riding in So Cal is almost a must now. I lived there my whole life up until a few years ago. The traffic today to when I was there 3 years ago is just brutal.

The best thing about having a bike in So Cal is being allowed to ride in the carpool lane as well as it being legal to weave in & out of traffic while riding in between lanes. Another positive thing is being able to ride up to the front of the red/green light ahead of all the cars.

I started off when I was 19 with a Suzuki Katana 600 which was a good bike for me to start off with. After about 3 months though and being more comfortable on a bike, I was ready for something bigger. So I traded it in for GSXR 750. I suggest you dont start off with something too small and not anything too big, (300cc or 1100 on up). You need to go with something in the middle.

Rule #1. Its not yourself and how good you ride you need to worry about. Its the idiots of So Cal who do not pay attention to riders. You have to be alert at all times!

Good luck and enjoy it!

As far as riding classes, you can also check with your local DMV. They should be able to tell you where to go and who to talk to. For example, here in VA, their is a link from the DMV website to the local community colleges that run the course.

As far as bikes, I would look at lowish mileage used bikes. Not just cost, but also as you learn you will find out things like what riding position and style you like (I used to love sportsbikes and that is what I wanted when I learned to ride...till I actually rode one and hated it). You may also find yourself wanting to upgrade 6mos to a year down the road (most riders do), so no eating the cost of depreciation.

If you have no previous riding experience, I would recommend:

Cruisers - Honda VLX600 and the Yamaha Vstar 650 are both good, entry level cruisers while still having enough *ummph* that you will not feel like you have to get something bigger in 6 months. Not sure on your size, weight, etc. but you can also look at a Suzuki Savage 650, though it can be very cramped for some riders. The Triumph cruisers that Pete suggested are good bikes, though at 800cc, they would probably be the upper limits of what a beginner should ride. It will just depend on your comfort level.

You can go with a smaller bike, such as a Honda Rebel or GZ250, which are great learner bikes, but you will outgrow them skill-wise fairly quickly. After taking the course, see how you feel about where you are at skill-wise and go from there. I started out on a GZ250, and while I moved up to a Vstar within 4 months (and moved up yet again a year later to an even bigger bike), that little bike helped me get my basic skills more polished without having to worry about the weight, etc. of a larger bike.

If ya like sportsbike, you have much less of a selection. Basically, remember that while a 650cc cruiser is a good entry bike, a 650cc sportbike can do 120+mph and introduce you to your local emergency room if you are new to riding.

The Ninja 250 is a very good (and very very inexpensive) intro sportsbike, and you could proabably find one used with low miles for $1500. If it is a tad small, there are a couple other options. The Ninja 500 is a decent bike for beginners, as is the Suzuki GS500. If ya got money to burn and you show a really innate talent for riding, you can try a Ducati Monster 620, as it is a little more toned down than most sportsbikes, but that would really be pushing it. I would avoid the Buell Blast, as I have heard horror stories about their quality.

I would also avoid bikes like the Honda CBR600 or the GSX600. These bikes are basically street-legal racers. It may be that you would have no problem handling one right off the bat, but I would not bet on it. Better to have to upgrade in a year than to not see next year.

Remember that right now, one of the growing factors in the increase of motorcycle accidents in the US and Europe are new riders getting more bike than they can handle skill-wise, whether that is a teenager hoping onto a 700cc sportsbike without the skills, or the 40 year old businessman who just bought himself a nice shiney 1500cc Harley. It is better to have to upgrade a few times and have a solid skills foundation than to buy a bike above your skill level just to save $$$ short term.

Anyways, just my :2cents:

Adam, your two cents is always worth a million. You pretty much covered the entrey level bikes I would have recomended. Forgot all about contacting DMV about riding courses:doh:

:cheers:

PS, I just paid 2.78 for high test:rolleyes:

I've lived in L.A., and I've ridden bikes for much of my adult life.

L.A. is the most dangerous place I've ever ridden, and the people who created the law allowing bikes to share lanes on the freeway only did so in order to make motorcyclists extinct.

Just listen to the traffic reports and note how often you hear the words "motorcycle down". Or check with the highway department on accident statistics.

If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of the idea, let me just say that I finally limited my riding to surface roads and touring uncrowded highways, after a long talk with an LAPD motorcycle cop. :)

• 1 year later...

My sister and her husband have a Suzuki Boulevard M50, and it's great for the two of them.

I bought my wife a HD Sportster 883, and she felt like she was sitting up too high. Got her a Honda Shadow ACE 750, and she was a lot happier with it.

I had a Honda VTX 1800N, but I like long distance touring. Not enough Honda dealerships out there who can perform emergency maintenance if I need it during a trip. So I got a HD Electra Glide Standard FLHTI.

Basically, it will take you some time to figure out: 1 - what you want to do with the bike, 2 - what size bike you want and are comfortable with and 3 - what you want to invest in your bike. HD is great, well known and easy to get parts and repairs for, but Honda is a high quality bike, especially with some of their big bikes like the Goldwing.

All the advice that folks have been giving in this thread has been spot on, however. Good stuff.

for me i started riding two years ago. I didn't to it for the gas prices (althought that is nice) but for the thrill and the joy and fun to be out on the open road.

I live in a rural area full of back roads. And even the faster two lane 55 mph roads are typically close to empty. So for me just going out for a ride is fun, but i would never go close to DC on the big highways. There are too many stupid drivers out there on the big roads (and small ones too).

But for buying i would start with a small bike. I've always bought used cause you can't test drive new ones..........doesn't make sense how people buy them new w/o riding on them. Craigslist i have found no problem on.

I started with a Suzuki 250 cc standard bike. It was fun but after learning how to ride i decided to step it up with a Honda CBR 600 crotchrocket. The honda has plenty of power for me. And i bought both bikes for under 2500.

Pete and AdamB gave great advice. I've been riding motorcycles for almost 30 years, 9 of which were in the San Diego area when I was in your age bracket. When I lived in Southern Cal I used to ride my bike to work all the time. Now though I guess I have seen to much, and as much as I love riding my Harley on the country roads I do not enjoy riding it on the Interstate anymore just cause it seems to dangerous to me now.

I recommend getting an inexpensive used standard bike as your first bike. The reason being is price and it is the easist type to learn on, and insurance will most likely be cheapest as well for a beginner. If after you learn to ride it , it turns out you enjoy motorcycling you can then sell it with little to no loss and get whatever type bike suits your tastes.

Echoing what JMac wrote, my dad has always said in respect to riding a motorcycle that you will survive the longest if you believe that every driver around you is trying to kill you. A little grim for driving advice, but I think it gets the point across.

Excellent advice I will third it, also agree on the used bike for beginners unless you got money to burn.

As far as your age that depends more on your abilities not your age,I hardly think you are too old.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

More info:

I'm 6'2", 220 lbs. Looking for a cruiser/standard type bike, I think. I'm not really interested in racing or pulling wheelies at 100 mph.

My primary use would probably be rides through the Virginia countryside, Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley region. Although I would likely commute on very nice riding days, most of which is on the DC beltway.

I haven't ridden a 'cycle since I was a youngin', but I'm planning on taking a local driver's safety course. Does anyone know anything about Apex?

NOVA also offers a class, but they seem to fill up fast (they are cheaper, though).

Oh, and the wife approves the acquisition. Should I double-check our insurance policy? ;)

Edit: Are used bikes a good path to take for the initial purchase? A number of folks have recommended that route, but I'm a little concerned that a slightly messed-up bike would make it harder to get skilled at riding.

My sister and her husband have a Suzuki Boulevard M50, and it's great for the two of them.

I bought my wife a HD Sportster 883, and she felt like she was sitting up too high. Got her a Honda Shadow ACE 750, and she was a lot happier with it.

I had a Honda VTX 1800N, but I like long distance touring. Not enough Honda dealerships out there who can perform emergency maintenance if I need it during a trip. So I got a HD Electra Glide Standard FLHTI.

Basically, it will take you some time to figure out: 1 - what you want to do with the bike, 2 - what size bike you want and are comfortable with and 3 - what you want to invest in your bike. HD is great, well known and easy to get parts and repairs for, but Honda is a high quality bike, especially with some of their big bikes like the Goldwing.

All the advice that folks have been giving in this thread has been spot on, however. Good stuff.

Good choice on the M50. My wife is looling at that one the VLX600 once she gets her skills up. The ACE and the Vstar 650 both have tanks that are too wide for her comfort, and the Sporty was too tall.

I currently have a VTX1300 (I prefered the handling over the 1800, and with some slight mods, it has more than enough power). I am not happy however overall with the quality of the newer Hondas (cruisers), but it seems to be hit and miss as of late. Some the VTXers I have talked to think its the best built bike on the road, others have had nothing but problems with theirs. I am thinking its an issue with their Ohio plant vs. a design issue.

The other thing to keep in mind is that as one learns and rides more, what they want out of a bike will probably change. When I started riding, it was all about wanting a bad-ass cruiser - hypercharger intake, hopped-up carb, wider wheels, etc. Thats why I got my '04 VTX - I sat and though about the stuff I could do with it. Now its a few years later and I am looking to trade it in on a '07 Venture - forget speed and attitude, I want my 6-disk CD changer and comfort as I cruise on down the road :D

*of course, I bookmarked the page for all the nice new h.o. carbs and pipes for Ventures that are available* :laugh:

Most dealerships will let someone test ride a bike as long as they have their motorcycle endorsements on their license (some may require proof of completion of a MSF course).

Thanks for the tips, guys.

More info:

I'm 6'2", 220 lbs. Looking for a cruiser/standard type bike, I think. I'm not really interested in racing or pulling wheelies at 100 mph.

My primary use would probably be rides through the Virginia countryside, Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley region. Although I would likely commute on very nice riding days, most of which is on the DC beltway.

I would avoid the Beltway for awhile. My father-in-law took me on a ride around Northern Va after I had been riding for about 6 months, much of it on 495 down near Springfield and I have to say it's in the top 10 scariest experiences of my life. It took me a few years before I was comfortable riding on the Beltway.

Of course, keep in mind that my father-in-law, besides being a sadistic creep :laugh: , used to be a motorcycle courier in DC for ABC news, so in his defense, he probably really did not think it would be an issue.

For your size, I would say a Vstar 650 or M50/C50/S50 as far as into-level cruisers once you feel comfortable on a true beginners bike (Rebel, etc). I personally find the VLX and S40 to be a tad on the small size, but you will need to check for yourself. I am not nearly as tall as you, but heavier, which could change how the bike "feels".

Another suggestion to start out with - in my MSF course, they put alot of the taller riders on smaller cc dual-sports. Its about the same power as the Rebel, etc. but taller so the rider felt more comfortable riding. Not good for long rides of course, but might be good for you to start out on. Any other opinions on this from people with experience riding them (I cannot ride dual sports...too tall of a seat)?

And getting a used bike can be a geat decesion when you first start riding. I am sure Pete can give you some thing to look for, other than looking for low mileage, etc. My first "real" bike was a VStar with under 5K miles, with windshield and bags, for $3000.00. It ran like a champ and is still on the road doing fine with no problems 20K miles later.

Off the top of my head, try and make sure that the bike has had its normal services done and look for any signs of oil leaks either on the bike or where it was parked (or in the case of a Harley, see how mank buckets are used to collect the oil.....sorry, couldn't resist! *runs for cover*).

I haven't ridden a 'cycle since I was young, but I'm planning on taking a local driver's safety course. Does anyone know anything about Apex?

NOVA also offers a class, but they seem to fill up fast (they are cheaper, though).

Ya, NoVa's courses fill up fast. What I did was looked around and find another community college in VA that also offered it. I ended up taking the same course that is offered at NoVA at the cc in Lynchburg. It cost less, but once you add in a couple nights of hotel rooms, came out about the same.

No idea about Apeex, but you can also check at your local Harley dealerships. HD does offer a new rider course that meets the same standards as the MSF, though it is more expensive. From what I understand, they also try to use it as a "Intro To Why You Should Buy A Harley", but if it helps you learn, may be worth it.

Archived