Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Anyone Here Ride Motorcycles?

Ignatius J.

(although, if we could keep the kellen winslow and jay williams references to aminimum that'd be great)

i have been a biker for a long time and i am not trying to scare you but most real bikers will tell you that there are two types of bikers. ones that have been down and ones that are going down.

I would avoid the Beltway for awhile.... I have to say it's in the top 10 scariest experiences of my life. It took me a few years before I was comfortable riding on the Beltway.

I agree! I know my avatar states I am still in Guam. I'm not changing it but I'll let you in on a little secret, I lived there and loved it, but am now living back in VA. I hate riding (or driving) on the beltway. I rode the beltway during "Rolling Thunder" only because it was that or I-95 to get there but neither is a place for a motorcyclist IMO as we deserve to live and there are some wreckless drivers out there as those of us in the DC area know.

Off the top of my head, try and make sure that the bike has had its normal services done and look for any signs of oil leaks either on the bike or where it was parked (or in the case of a Harley, see how mank buckets are used to collect the oil.....sorry, couldn't resist! *runs for cover*).

:laugh::mad: Funny not... Ok maybe;) In all seriousness newer Harleys should not leak oil, if the do stay away. The older ones did by design.:doh:

Arise!!!

I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle.

What do you think of the Triumph America, Pete?

I think it's an outstanding bike. The 02 America I have has 72 thousand miles on it, and going strong. They will be going to fuel injection on the 08's. They also made some nice changes for the 07's. The put cast wheels on them which is great not having to deal with tubes. That means you can carry a tire plug tool and small Co2 inflator for the event of a flat tire.

Very easy to service for the do it your self people, and there's a good line of accessories from both Triumph and the after market. The best description of the sound of the bike with stock pipes is George Jetson hover car, so a set of TOR mufflers makes it sound like a real bike, without being overly loud and no rejetting of the carbs. Unless of course, that's what you want ;)

It's light enough, and has a low enough seat height for most folks to be very comfortable on it. The bikes have a great following , along with the speedmaster which is very similar except for a few more cc's, duel front disc brakes, and drag bars. I'm actually more comfortable on the speedmaster then the america. The good thing with Triumph is you can go to a dealer and test ride a bike as long as you have your motorcycle endorcment.

If you need more info, let me know. I'll be out of town for three weeks starting tuesday morning, but you can contact my shop and speak to Jeff if you have any other questions while I'm gone. Just tell him you a friend of mine. Even if you weren't a friend, he would bend over backwards to help. Real good people. jeffgallo@gcmotorcycles.com

:cheers:

I just took the Apex course a couple weeks ago in Manassas - I recommend it for new (or returning) riders. Doesn't "teach" you to ride, but provides a good foundation to start building your experience on.

Rumor is that VA may move to accept MSF-based courses for your entire motorcycle license beginning July 1 - as it is today, you still need to take the written test at DMV after completing the riding test at Apex/MSF.

My brother in law & his brother finished the Apex course today - they enjoyed it as well.

I purchased a slightly used '07 650GS. Really like it! Perfect for me for commuting and light adventure touring....

I just took the Apex course a couple weeks ago in Manassas - I recommend it for new (or returning) riders. Doesn't "teach" you to ride, but provides a good foundation to start building your experience on.

Rumor is that VA may move to accept MSF-based courses for your entire motorcycle license beginning July 1 - as it is today, you still need to take the written test at DMV after completing the riding test at Apex/MSF.

My brother in law & his brother finished the Apex course today - they enjoyed it as well.

I purchased a slightly used '07 650GS. Really like it! Perfect for me for commuting and light adventure touring....

The F650GS is a real popular bike. Don't know how long there going to continue to make them with the new line G650 out now. The G650 are even better then the F650's for the duel sport type of riding. The next bike I get will more then likely be an R1200GS. We have a group of people who do a trip to Alaska form here in FL every year, and there aern't many bikes on the market that can handle the off road capabilities needed for the back roads of Aaska, and do an average speed of 80mph all the way there and back. One of the guys wifes did it on an F650 Dakar. You want to talk "Iron Butt" :doh:

:laugh:

Agreed - I looked at the XChallenge (love the look) & decided it was too dirt oriented for me at this point. The XCountry seemed too street. Also, they have seriously small gas tanks - Tourtech is apparently making a larger after-market tank.

I thought I heard the BMW stated '07 is the last year for the 650GS (?)

I've pegged the 1200GS as my "upgrade" bike (I also want to checkout the Triumph Tiger & KTM 950A), although there continue to be rumors that BMW will put out a 800GS - these have been circulating for a while.

I'm also looking into adventure touring & would love to do an Alaska/Tierra del Fuego trip!

So many choices.......

Archived