Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scrimmage Thread

Originally posted by Disco Dave

Who won?

Ravens 16-10

In a nutshell. The Ravens D pretty much dominated our O by stuffing the run and sacking our QBs multiple times.

Both Brunell and Campbell made a couple of nice throws but both were a bit shaky.

Our D faired much better but the Ravens did make a couple of nice plays.

Sean Taylor, playing with the 2nd team, was his old self. KOing a Raven and knocking his helmet off in the process and on the goalline remarkably covering two players, baiting Anthony Wright to throw to one of them and knocking the pass down.

This is from WJFK's awful broadcast. I'm sure we'll get a better feel for what went on out there when all the Extremers who attended the scrimmage get back with their first hand reports.

From reading all 37 pages, there were some insane posts. It looks like our OL needs some work. No running game (but no Portis). Ramsey did not play well; Campbell did but he faced a 3rd string defense remember guys??? Taylor and Holdman had pretty good games. The D, minus Brown and Jimoh, played well. NO INJURIES--so it was a success!!

Just got back from the scrimmage and we saw some bright spots and a few dark clouds.

First the bright spots:

Andy Groom, #2 punter from Ohio State has a monster leg; I think he'll give Tupa a real run for the money spot. Andy kicked a couple of sixty yarders that had great hang-time.

John Hall was kicking 50 and 55 yarders with plenty of room to spare. Jeff Chandler has got his work cut out if is going to replace Hall on the squad. Jeff doesn't have half the leg of Hall.

Special teams looked much improved. I think there is a lot more speed.

McCune is a beast and will have a chance at making this team.

Sean Taylor made a huge hit while playing with the second team defense; lost his helmut.

Dark clouds:

Ramsey looked well in the warmups. As soon as they moved to the 7 on 7 drills, he started to get happy feet and made more poor decisions than he did good decisions (that's with nobody rushing him).

From there it went downhill pretty fast. I believe he hit only three completions in the regular scrimmage. Frankly, this looked like the preseason of last year and we all know how that eventually turned out. If he doesn't take it up a notch, I won't be expecting the results to be much better than last year.

Brunell had a better outing than Ramsey, but that was against the Ravens second team defense.

Jason Campell has one of the strongest arms that I have seen in a while. Unfortunately, he made some rookie mistakes; but that is expected.

Rufus Brown and Ade Jimoh were horrible. Pass interference and letting their guys get open way to often. They made Anthony Wright look like an All Pro.

Anyhow, that my :2cents: and all for now.

I didnt even know there were freaking winners in a scrimmage. Its just a way for the coaches to gauge a teams abilities and strenths and weaknesses against other teams. I dont understand whats the big deal whatsoever. The first quarter vs Carolina is what I'm more concerned with, and even then its still REALLY early.

Originally posted by SonnyRules

Just got back from the scrimmage and we saw some bright spots and a few dark clouds.

First the bright spots:

Andy Groom, #2 punter from Ohio State has a monster leg; I think he'll give Tupa a real run for the money spot. Andy kicked a couple of sixty yarders that had great hang-time.

John Hall was kicking 50 and 55 yarders with plenty of room to spare. Jeff Chandler has got his work cut out if is going to replace Hall on the squad. Jeff doesn't have half the leg of Hall.

Special teams looked much improved. I think there is a lot more speed.

McCune is a beast and will have a chance at making this team.

Sean Taylor made a huge hit while playing with the second team defense; lost his helmut.

Dark clouds:

Ramsey looked well in the warmups. As soon as they moved to the 7 on 7 drills, he started to get happy feet and made more poor decisions than he did good decisions (that's with nobody rushing him).

From there it went downhill pretty fast. I believe he hit only three completions in the regular scrimmage. Frankly, this looked like the preseason of last year and we all know how that eventually turned out. If he doesn't take it up a notch, I won't be expecting the results to be much better than last year.

Brunell had a better outing than Ramsey, but that was against the Ravens second team defense.

Jason Campell has one of the strongest arms that I have seen in a while. Unfortunately, he made some rookie mistakes; but that is expected.

Andre Lott and Ade Jimoh were horrible. Pass interference and letting their guys get open way to often. They made Anthony Wright look like an All Pro.

Anyhow, that my :2cents: and all for now.

Thanks for the comments though.

I went to the scrimmage, man it was soooo hot! Here is my analysis of the team:

QB: Ramsey- He looked shaky today. In 7-on-7 drills from the 35 yard line, he didn't complete any passes over 15 yards. Although the Ravens secondary did a great job of covering our recievers. In 7-on-7 in goaline, Ramsey threw an INT to Ray Lewis in his first pass. He got a little better later on.

In 11-on-11, Ramsey rarely missed anyone who was open, which means his field awareness has improved. Yet his accuracy when rolling out of the pocket wasn't too good. He made some nice completions, but I didn't see very much improvement from last season.

Brunell- Ugh, he barely attempted a single pass beyond 10 yards. in 7-on-7 drills from the 35, all of his completions were within 10 yards. On goalline, he did throw a touchdown to Kevin Dyson though. In 11-on-11 drills, he didn't do any better than Ramsey and threw an interception trying to go deep in the endzone to Antonio Brown. The pass was underthrown.

Campbell- I was pretty impressed with him. He didn't look good at all in 7-on-7 drills, but he gradually got better. He was the only QB to get the offense a touchdown in 11-on-11 drills.

RB- Very little of Clinton today. He participated in 7-on-7 drills, but didn't play in 11-on-11. Dahrran Diedric got some carries, I noticed he ran too high. Jonathan Combs is very slow. They kept running him on sweeps and he would get nowhere. Broughton was usually stuffed after gaining 3 yards. I don't recall seeing Betts at all. Brock Forsey will be gone in the first cut, he dropped a ton of passes and even a pass from Campbell while he was wide open over the middle. There wasn't a Raven defender within 15 yards of him.

Offensive line- I couldn't see them in one-on-one drills because they were on the other side of the field. But in 11-on-11, our starters gave an uneven performance. On some plays Ramsey would have all the time in the world, on other plays Ramsey would get touched immediately after he finished dropping back. To their credit, I thought the Ravens blitzed an awful lot for just a scrimmage.

WR: Santana Moss- Ran very good routes; was covered by McAlister for nearly the whole time. He caught passes on quick slants and 5 and outs, nothing deep. Looked solid though.

David Patten- didn't really do much. In 7-on-7 drills, I thought he got a little rattled when Ramsey threw him a pass down the sideline and he let it bounce off his shoulder pad when the safety was coming in pursuit.

Antonio Brown was the best reciever on the field. He was the only one to get any YAC, caught the most passes, and got open the most as well. If he keeps this up, not only will he make the team but he will get significant playing time as well. Kevin Dyson caught a TD from Brunell, yet dropped a big pass that would've been 30+ yards.

I'll do defense next....

We have a lonnggggg way to go. Portis did not carry the ball once. Rock might have cut himself today #30 looked better than him with the exception of a dropped pass. Ramsey looked a lot worse than Boller.

I noticed though on D we started Preilue and Clark. Taylor was on second team and Bowen 3rd wtf?????? Taylor was a man amongst boys making almost every tackle and had a ESPN highlight in the endzone covering two guys buy him self breaking up a pass.

Patten looked 50 50 today:doh:

and according to the annoncer at the stadium Mike Barrow had a tackle and two penalties:doh: :laugh:

35000+ showed up

The defense allowed the Ravens to move the ball at will, but they also had a lot of players sitting out with injuries.

I didn't pay too much attention to the DL, unforunately. Yet I was impressed by Ron Warner, who penetrated into the pocket to get a nice sack on Anthony Wright.

Our LB's overpursued, took bad angles, and missed way too many tackles for my taste. They were adequate in coverage though.

Ade Jimoh should never be allowed to line up across from ANY reciever. I'm just tired of seeing him getting burned every time he steps out on the field. He gave up a 30+ yard TD to Patrick Johnson, and did nothing but give up completions for first downs. We had 3 PI calls, one of them was bullsh!t though.

Originally posted by alton66

how did Lemar Marshall play in the middle linebacker spot? Any concerns?

Yes he looked lost at times. The first play his man got behind him and he ran full speed with his head turned away from the ball and almost tackled the reciever it should have been Pass interfierence. The worst play was from the corners though:puke: Not worried about the offensive play calling becaue Portis didn't run and we started out with a lot of passes before attempting a run.

Big concern is the small recievers though Brunell actually threw a nice TD pass to antonio Brown that was stripped from little browns hands:doh:

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Big concern is the small recievers though Brunell actually threw a nice TD pass to antonio Brown that was stripped from little browns hands:doh:

Brunell underthrew that ball. Brown had to slow down to get a chance at it, and the corner had the ball in his hands first before Antonio could fight for it. Would've been a TD if Brunell had put 3 more yards on it.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Yes he looked lost at times. The first play his man got behind him and he ran full speed with his head turned away from the ball and almost tackled the reciever it should have been Pass interfierence. The worst play was from the corners though:puke: Not worried about the offensive play calling becaue Portis didn't run and we started out with a lot of passes before attempting a run.

Thank you for that summary RDSKNfaithfull much appreciative.

man the article on nfl.com makes the skins sound terrible in that game/scrimmage... I know, I know..its just a srimmage..but you'd like to see or hear some signs that things are moving in the right directions...obviously the ravens O and D were pretty good, why can't ours be.

Well I look forward to how the rest of the preseason plays out, hopefully relatively injury free..and hope things sure up and improve heading into the Reg season.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Brunell underthrew that ball. Brown had to slow down to get a chance at it, and the corner had the ball in his hands first before Antonio could fight for it. Would've been a TD if Brunell had put 3 more yards on it.

Disagree Antonio was dwarfed by the Corner and if he was a bit bigger he should have had that.

Archived