Extremeskins

(Merged) Redskins.com:Barrow Waived; Lott Also Released

flexxskins

Barrow Waived; MLB Battle Narrows

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

July 30, 2005

http://www.redskins.com/

The Redskins have decided to part ways with injured linebacker Mike Barrow, the team announced on Saturday. Barrow, a 12-year veteran, was released by the Redskins 15 months after signing with the team via free agency.

Mike Barrow

Barrow missed all of the 2004 season due to tendinitis in his left knee. He was placed on injured reserve on Nov. 24 after being inactive for the first 11 games.

Barrow attempted to come back this offseason, working out at Redskins Park regularly. He played for Redskins' assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams from 1993-96 when both were in Houston.

During the June 17-19 mini-camp, Barrow worked out for the team's athletic trainers, including director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer, and the prognosis was more positive than it had been at any point in 2004. But team officials cautioned that Barrow's status remained uncertain.

With Barrow's departure, the training camp competition for the starting middle linebacker job has narrowed. This is expected to be among the most closely watched competitions during training camp, which starts Aug. 1 at Redskins Park.

Veterans Warrick Holdman and Lemar Marshall are thought to be the leading candidates, but youngsters Clifton Smith, Brian Allen, Brandon Barnes and rookie Robert McCune are also in the mix.

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

Where's anything about Lott?

edit: from the front page, but not the actual article "The team also released safety Andre Lott with an injury settlement"

I dont know, but I was very shocked to see that they had released him. I guess that C.Prioleau turned some heads during mini- camp. Other than that, I dont understand that move. I guess T.Dixon could have shown something also and Bowen coming back probably hurt Lott also.

Originally posted by flexxskins

I dont know, but I was very shocked to see that they had released him. I guess that C.Prioleau turned some heads during mini- camp. Other than that, I dont understand that move. I guess T.Dixon could have shown something also and Bowen coming back probably hurt Lott also.

Oh, injury settlement:) . Thanks guys.

The Skins were being nice about Barrow - he was never coming back. But it isn't nice to be blunt about it and it discourages the player from doing rehab. Bubba Tyer said last winter that it was very unlikely that he'd ever play again. That was good enough for me and I never thought he'd be back and I'm quite certain the Skins always knew he'd never be back.

I guess Lott never fully recovered from his injury and with our significant depth at S thought he'd just take reps away from someone more likely to make the team. He was a nice player but we have a number of guys who will probably be an upgrade over him.

Originally posted by GOKU

Now the focus is off Mike Barrow, now we can see if Robert McCune has what it takes to be the man in the middle. Am rooting for you man. Go McCune

I don't think that Holdman is going to make it that easy for your man McCune. If Gregg Williams and Dale Lindsey could coach a no name like Antonio Pierce to perform at the level that he did last season, imagine what they can do with a talented vet like Holdman.

Archived