Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Gardner passes physical; Redskins, Panthers complete trade.

Gardner passes physical; Redskins, Panthers complete trade.

Gardner passes physical; Redskins, Panthers complete trade

July 28, 2005

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Rod Gardner passed his physical with the Carolina Panthers on Thursday, completing his trade from the Washington Redskins for a sixth-round draft pick.

The move clears $2.1 million of salary cap space for the Redskins, who need the money to sign first-round draft picks Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell.

Unhappy with his role in Washington's offense, Gardner was given permission to seek a trade in January. It appeared Washington would have to release him until the deal was struck with the Panthers, who have been looking for a replacement for Muhsin Muhammad. Muhammad left as a free agent for the Chicago Bears earlier this offseason.

Gardner was a first-round draft pick in 2001, but he was inconsistent during his time in Washington. His best season came in 2002 when he caught 71 passes for 1,006 yards and eight touchdowns. He had 51 receptions for 650 yards and five touchdowns last year.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=8053

The Redskins completed a trade with Carolina on Thursday, sending wide receiver Rod Gardner to the Panthers. The team did not release terms of the trade, but it is expected that the compensation is a late-round draft pick.

For Gardner, the trade would cap off four mostly up-and-down seasons in Washington. The Redskins' first-round pick (15th overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft never seemed to catch on in Joe Gibbs' offense after the Hall of Fame coach came out of retirement last year.

Last season, Gardner caught 51 passes for 650 yards and five touchdowns. He had his best game in Week 3 against Dallas, recording 10 catches for 167 yards and two touchdowns in a Monday Night matchup.

Shortly after the season, though, Gardner was granted permission to seek a trade. His status was uncertain through much of the offseason and it appeared that he might end up being released before the start of the regular season.

For his career, Gardner has played in 64 games, with 61 starts, and logged 227 passes for 2,997 yards and 17 touchdowns. His best season came in 2002 when he caught a career-high 71 passes for 1,006 yards and eight TDs.

good. 6th round pick still sounds like a fleecing but its bettter than nothing.

I think it's a good deal for the Redskins. Next season they'd have gotten nothing for him. He didn't want to be here. The Redskins didn't want him here. He frees up over $2 million and would have been released. Getting a 6th rounder is like winning finding money in your pocket.

It is a good deal for all involved. Gardner was inconsistant and had a crappy attitude. This made him expendable and not a guy that should be on a Gibbs team. The panthers needed a WR, and Rod could suceed in a new system if he learns how to catch a clutch pass. The cap space is the biggest benefit to us right now. It was looking like we were going to have to cut him anyway, so the 6th rounder was just icing on the cake.

Well, I am not happy that Gardner didn't work out with the Redskins, so excuse me if I am not dancing. I remember seeing him in a couple of Clemson games the year he was drafted, and I thought he would fill a hole if Westbrook left. When Marty drafted him, I was happy - he seemed like a big, prototypical receiver that we were lacking. His first two years weren't too bad, and since he still has has youth, I was hoping he would continue to develop inspite of his hands over the last couple of years.

So yeah - it's a shame that Gardner didn't continue to produce here in Washington, and it is a shame that we wasted a first round pick on him. In fact, Gardner being traded points to another wasted first rounder, and how difficult it is to draft a good WR for this team.

At least we got something for him, which is good. But this isn't a great blockbuster deal for us. I wish him the best with the Panthers.

Archived