Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A-Rod: 'I want to say it out loud: I am Dominican

Brown 43

F-you A-Rod!

DETROIT -- Alex Rodriguez feels determined to help the Dominican Republic play a key role in baseball's first World Classic, which will take place in March.

Alex Rodriguez

Third Base

New York Yankees

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

86 23 72 65 .416 .317

That's why the Yankees third baseman has already decided which country he will represent in the most important international event in baseball's history.

"I am going to play for the Dominican Republic, and I am going to make the Dominicans feel proud," Rodriguez said during the All-Star Game.

"I want to say it out loud: I am Dominican," added Rodriguez.

Major League Baseball, the Players Union and the International Baseball Federation have already announced baseball's first World Classic on Monday, with 16 countries slated to participate.

Rodriguez is one of the many baseball players who has dual citizenship and has the choice of representing the country he prefers.

Spanish version

Read this story in Spanish on ESPNdeportes.com.

Rodriguez is son of Dominican parents, but was born in New York. Along with other Dominican players born in the U.S., Rodriguez could play for the United States if so chooses.

"I am Dominican, and that's the flag I will represent in the World Classic," said Rodriguez. "We will have a great team, and we will try to win the title so that all the Dominican people will feel proud of their ballplayers and of their own nationality," he said.

The Dominican Republic will share Pool D, which will play the first round in Florida, with Australia, Venezuela and Italy. The two best teams will advance to the quarterfinals.

The Yankees third baseman was one of the five Dominican players to occupy successive places in the batting order for the American League lineup at the All-Star Game. Rodriguez batted second, a place he has been comfortable with during his last two seasons with the Yankees.

David Ortiz, the designated hitter, was the third player in the batting order, leftfielder Manny Ramirez was the cleanup, shortstop and eventual MVP Miguel Tejada was fifth and outfielder Vladimir Guerrero was sixth.

"Our country is a baseball power. With players like Miguel Tejada, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez and others, we are going to keep the Dominican flag at the top," concluded A-Rod

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Originally posted by laurent

Wow, ok so he is proud of his Dominican heritage, that is a problem how?

I think the point is he's not a Dominican, he's an American. That would be like me playing for the Italian National soccer team or something, considering I was born in DC.

Well... and I can't play soccer... :)

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

I think the point is he's not a Dominican, he's an American. That would be like me playing for the Italian National soccer team or something, considering I was born in DC.

Nick

Well said.

Wonder how many times A-rod has been to the dominican.

Wow, ok so he is proud of his Dominican heritage, that is a problem how?

I thought the same thing. Big friggin deal. He was probably raised in a spanish only house and feels connected more to the culture of his parents.

Leave the knee jerk xenophobic response to the europeans.

Originally posted by Destino

I thought the same thing. Big friggin deal. He was probably raised in a spanish only house and feels connected more to the culture of his parents.

This is a nation of immigrants, some of you need to stop acting like Germans. (That is not a Nazi reference BTW)

Yeah,but A-rod isn't an immigrant.

Guest sith lord
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Well said.

Wonder how many times A-rod has been to the dominican.

Some people are very proud of there heritage. Since both of his parents are from the Dominican Republic, I'm sure he's been there.

Nick

I guess I somehow fail to see how he is obligated to consider himself American simply because he grew up here, espescially considering that he has a dual citizenshio.

I'm guessing if you were to poll a significant number of Dominicans they'd tell you that A-Rod is NOT one of them. In fact, I'd bet most would be insulted that A-Rod, simply because his parents are Dominican, feels he's one of them.

Leave the knee jerk xenophobic response to the europeans.

How the blank is an American saying he's not AMerican(American ---y and money, schooling, sports leagues, media seem good enough for him) and will play for another country xenophobia?

It's one thing when a guy can't make his native team and goes to somewhere he could claim ancestry or where he was technically born, but another for someone who has a choice to choose.

It also cements in some people's minds that certain segments of our population refuse to assimilate and become American in the more meaningful sense.

Now you can call that xenophobia. Because neither extreme on that issue would be completely true.

Originally posted by TheKurp

I'm guessing if you were to poll a significant number of Dominicans they'd tell you that A-Rod is NOT one of them. In fact, I'd bet most would be insulted that A-Rod, simply because his parents are Dominican, feels he's one of them.

Yep. Tejada, Ortiz, Vlad, those guys know A-Rod isn't one of them.

Originally posted by TheKurp

It's not simply because his parents, there is also the matter of his citizenship.

I guess I somehow fail to see how he is obligated to consider himself American simply because he grew up here, espescially considering that he has a dual citizenshio.

Which is more of the reason why those who are born to foreign parents on AMerican soil should not be automatically granted citizenship. (and the US does not recognize dual citizenship, only the 'other' country in such an arrangement does, as far as I know.)

It also lends credence to arguments that there are those among us who despite benefitting(after all, why come here?) from America, there are those who are 'takers' and whose loyalties lie elsewhere.

He's ALLOWED to do whatever he wants. We're ALLOWED to comment on it.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

How the blank is an American saying he's not AMerican(American ---y and money, schooling, sports leagues, media seem good enough for him) and will play for another country xenophobia?

It's one thing when a guy can't make his native team and goes to somewhere he could claim ancestry or where he was technically born, but another for someone who has a choice to choose.

It also cements in some people's minds that certain segments of our population refuse to assimilate and become American in the more meaningful sense.

Now you can call that xenophobia. Because neither extreme on that issue would be completely true.

Ghost this guy isn't picking at random he has dual citizenship. That is NOT the same as just saying oh well my parents were from Italy so I'll play for them.... what the hey.

It's not simply because his parents, there is also the matter of his citizenship.

Which is 100% because of his Parents... ;)

Just because the guy has dual-citizenship doesn't mean he's one of them or accepted by them.

Nick

Originally posted by Brown 43

He's an American, that's the problem. He seems to like his American money!

AMEN!

I have no problem with him being proud of his heritage but the fact that he was born in the U.S. and lives here full time tells me he just wants to try to play on the team he thinks will have the best chance to win.

I guess I just don't understand this dual-citizenship thing. Too bad he doesn't pay dual taxes too. ;)

Guest sith lord

Which is 100% because of his Parents... ;)

Just because the guy has dual-citizenship doesn't mean he's one of them or accepted by them.

Nick

Why wouldn't he be accepted by them?

Ghost this guy isn't picking at random he has dual citizenship. That is NOT the same as just saying oh well my parents were from Italy so I'll play for them.... what the hey.

I do hold an Italian passport. I have a Lebanese one, too. Both of them caused me long, long holdups with one of my security clearances when I worked at the FCC... ;)

Not the same as citizenship, but it does give me a little more ties than just your average Joe Schmoe on the street.

Archived