Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best DC in the NFC

newskinsowner

This is and intresting question about who is the best DC in the NFC. This arose from reading another thread and Westbrook36 was quoted as saying that Eagles DC Jimmy Johnson "is more accomplished than Greg Williams"

(Not that i am trying to start anything or cause trouble) but i think this should be open to debate including Monte Kiffin and Mike Zimmer.

So lets see the four canidates are

Monte Kiffin

Jimmy Johnson

Greg Williams

Mike Zimmer

Who is the BEST defensive coordinator in the NFC?

Please remember to remove your homer glasses :cool:

PS: (Lovie Smith, John Fox) were left off because of their head coaching status

Considering Johnson, Kiffin and Williams have all been to the Super Bowl with their defenses, with only Kiffin winning and Williams coming to within a half a yard, it's kind of a wash. I have great respect for all three.

Zimmer, although close, is not quite in the category of the other three yet. The up-and-comer could be Arizona's Clancy Pendergast.

Originally posted by red zone

Is this a trick question?

No its a real question, So when you say smoke a mirrors are you saying that GW does his job with lesser talent than the other dc's? Or does a better job with X's and O's? (confusing opposing offenses)

Is this a trick question? Gregg Williams by two furlongs. Dude can generate a pass rush with nothing but smoke and mirrors.

LOL...not 2 furlongs :laugh:

I would say G. Williams as well...he is a maniac with all of the blitzes...Jim Johnson has got to be a close 2nd though.

Originally posted by newskinsowner

Is this a trick question?

No its a real question, So when you say smoke a mirrors are you saying that GW does his job with lesser talent than the other dc's? Or does a better job with X's and O's? (confusing opposing offenses)

I say he does more with less. He lost his best player in LaVar, his starting SS in Bowen and never really got Philip Daniels or Michael Barrow going. Clearly it was his system that vaulted that group to the top of the NFC. Beyond that, his players were always on the field because our O counldn't control the clock.

I say he does more with less. He lost his best player in LaVar, his starting SS in Bowen and never really got Philip Daniels or Michael Barrow going. Clearly it was his system that vaulted that group to the top of the NFC. Beyond that, his players were always on the field because our O counldn't control the clock.

The Redskins ranked 8th in average time of possession, but 9th in number of plays run. I think the Defense was very good at forcing short drives for opponents, resulting in more TOP and plays for the offense.

Originally posted by Jimbo

Considering Johnson, Kiffin and Williams have all been to the Super Bowl with their defenses, with only Kiffin winning and Williams coming to within a half a yard, it's kind of a wash. I have great respect for all three.

Zimmer, although close, is not quite in the category of the other three yet. The up-and-comer could be Arizona's Clancy Pendergast.

i thought about adding Clancy to this list, but i thought i would have to wait on Clancy to produce a couple more years of consistancy and take a team to the playoffs. But yes what he did what nothing short of outstanding in the first half of last season.

Originally posted by dallasfan

Allow me to be the first to ask, why is Mike Zimmer listed?

A lot of people that responded are basing this thread on last year and that's my fault for not fully explaining. this thread is based upon the last couple years. and Mike Zimmer while i despise the cowboys did have the #1 defense a couple years ago with his all out blitzing pressure.

Zimmer's D sucked last year.

Williams has had great defenses everywhere he goes: Titans, then Bills, then here. Who would've guessed with our DL at the beginning of last year that we'd finish 1st by a mile in rushing YPC?

The only defensive mind in the NFL I would take over Gregg Williams would be Belichik.

Originally posted by Lurman

The Redskins ranked 8th in average time of possession, but 9th in number of plays run. I think the Defense was very good at forcing short drives for opponents, resulting in more TOP and plays for the offense.

We had a ton of three-and-outs and turnovers. Maybe our TOP was inflated due to all the offensive penalties. Case in point, we had 7 turnovers against the Giants in the first game at NY. The defense kept us in it until the very last play.

A lot of people that responded are basing this thread on last year and that's my fault for not fully explaining. this thread is based upon the last couple years. and Mike Zimmer while i despise the cowboys did have the #1 defense a couple years ago with his all out blitzing pressure.

Yeah Mike Zimmer had the #1 defense 2 years ago, but most Cowboys fans didn't expect a re-peat performance (or the trainwreck which was last season). We pretty much blitzed the hell out of everyone, and once teams started going to max protect we started getting burned.

Originally posted by Riggo-toni

Zimmer's D sucked last year.

Just like I don't give him all the credit for the #1 defense, I don't blame him for last years lack of success. Darren Woodson's injury hurt bad, because #1 it made us start guys like Lynn Scott and Tony Dixon, and #2 it made us have to stick Roy Williams in coverege which is like using Moss as a possesion WR. On top of that we where hit hard with the injury bug at corner as well.

Originally posted by dallasfan

Just like I don't give him all the credit for the #1 defense, I don't blame him for last years lack of success. Darren Woodson's injury hurt bad, because #1 it made us start guys like Lynn Scott and Tony Dixon, and #2 it made us have to stick Roy Williams in coverege which is like using Moss as a possesion WR. On top of that we where hit hard with the injury bug at corner as well.

Since your using last year as an example

The Eagles were being run through like a wet toilet paper making all sorts of line up changes until they insterted Trotter in at the middle of their defense.

The Redskins lost 4 starters from the opening day starting line up and lost a starter in the preaseason. GW put in special teamers like Pierce, Marshall, R. Clark, Warner, Evans, W. Harris and still maintained the top defensive ranking in the NFC.

Homer Glasses still off.

Since your using last year as an example

The Eagles were being run through like a wet toilet paper making all sorts of line up changes until they insterted Trotter in at the middle of their defense.

The Redskins lost 4 starters from the opening day starting line up and lost a starter in the preaseason. GW put in special teamers like Pierce, Marshall, R. Clark, Warner, Evans, W. Harris and still maintained the top defensive ranking in the NFC.

Homer Glasses still off.

I'm not sure if I get your point. I agree that Zimmer isn't the same callibur coach that Greg Williams and Jim Johnson are, if that's what your saying. A matter of fact including HCs the only guys I'd take over Greg Williams are Bill Bellechick and Marvin Lewis.

How can WB say "not as accomplished?" :wtf:

He's by far MORE accomplished in that he has turned THREE seperate teams' defenses into top 5 defenses.

He's been to the same amount of SB's, yet his 99 team was statistically the best ever.

I would rather have GW but JJ has more history in the NFC. He has done a great job for the Eagles and should be credited as such. I personally think GW is the most explosive coach and is in his element as a DC. He was great with the Titans and will continue to show his flash until he takes over for Gibbs.

Zimmer doesn't even deserve to be on this list. He didn't even deserve to be on it last season as anyone with half a brain knew that #1 ranking was a mirage - a fluke - if you will. He will most likely be out of a job when the 3-4 doesn't take off like everyone believes it will. Why? B/c the guy has never coached it before and he will most likely have to teach the system he doesn't know to players who haven't played together.

When Zimmer's toast, it will complete the transformation of the coaching staff and (I believe) all of Jerry's old friends will be history. At least the one's who have any effect on the team.

BTW, GW and JJ are neck and neck in my opinion. They have remarkably similar defense in terms of accomplishments. Both have coached them to a Super Bowl but without winning it. Both are consistently in the top 10 in terms of yards allowed and points allowed. JJs teams are better against the pass while GW's are better shutting the run down. GW has done it in 3 different places in the last 5 seasons, but JJ has had massive roster turnover on that side of the ball during the same period- yet the transition has been seamless.

Bottom Line: Can't go wrong with either

Originally posted by BG

He's been to the same amount of SB's, yet his 99 team was statistically the best ever.

As far as ypg go. When it comes to defense the only 3 teams worth mentioning are the 85' Bears, 00' Ravens, and 02' Bucs, all whom allowed less points per game (points win games not yards)

Archived