Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pdn: T.o. Does Do Minicamp

bubba9497

T.O. DOES DO MINICAMP

By LES BOWEN

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/12103719.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

TERRELL OWENS hasn't gotten so absorbed in his dispute with the Eagles that he hasn't noticed he might need to do a little fence-mending with their fan base, which welcomed him so enthusiastically a year ago.

"I hope to see you here next year," Owens told a group of youth football campers at Rosemont College yesterday, after posing for several dozen photos.

Owens repeatedly mentioned how adulation from the fans "pumps me up" on the field, and recalled the huge crowds that flocked to training camp at Lehigh last year.

"I'm hoping to be back in a Philly uniform. We'll see how that plays out," he said.

Owens' comments yesterday, to the campers and in a couple of brief media interviews, were his first to Philadelphia-area reporters since his charity weekend in Atlanta a little more than a month ago. In interviews around that time, Owens emphasized that he didn't "have to play for the Eagles," a sentiment that didn't seem to play well with fans who were unmoved by Owens' contention that he needs to rework his Eagles contract after one season to "take care of my family." Owens made about $9.5 million last season, and will make about $3.5 million this season, but he apparently feels the $7.5 million in non-guaranteed roster and signing-bonus money he is due in 2006 might influence the Eagles to cut him then, at age 32.

Owens told the campers to have fun on the field, and then worked in a reference to Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, whose relationship with Owens has seemed strained since Owens back in April told ESPN.com that he wasn't "the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl" - a swipe at McNabb's performance on the Eagles' final scoring drive of the 24-21 loss to New England.

"I'm kind of a serious person," Owens said yesterday. "Donovan brings out the silly side of me."

As with the charity weekend in Atlanta, an Owens publicist would not allow reporters to ask T.O. about his contract or his dispute with the team. The publicist said Owens and McNabb have not been able to coordinate their schedules to work on pass patterns, something McNabb had said he was hoping to do before Lehigh.

Owens indicated no decision has been made on whether to report to training camp, if the Eagles continue to refuse to discuss his contract.

"Wait 'til July 29th," said Owens, referring to the date when rookies and select veterans are scheduled to report. Most veterans - including Owens, an Eagles spokesman said - are scheduled to report Aug. 1.

Owens skipped the Eagles' minicamps this spring. He made a joke about that causing him to drop a pass during his session with the youth players. "This is my first camp. I expected to be a little rusty," he said.

Owens' lack of offseason participation, since his amazing nine-catch, 122-yard Super Bowl performance, playing with his right fibula still held together by surgical screws, has angered Eagles management and undoubtedly played a role in the team turning down flat an overture from the Sacramento Kings for T.O. to play for their summer-league team, a little more than a week ago.

"I was looking forward to it," said Owens, who played varsity basketball at Tennessee-Chattanooga and played briefly for Adirondack of the USBL in 2002. "It was an unfortunate situation. The team asked for permission and we got denied, but it just shows you the talent I have for [the Kings] to even consider the possibility of me playing in the NBA. I know a lot of people thought it was a little far-fetched. I read some comment that some NBA coaches said me playing in the NBA was just a dream, and that's all it would be... I've never been a person to shy away from a challenge, and I just appreciate the opportunity."

Owens estimated his right ankle and leg were "a little bit more than 90 percent." He said if the contract issue were resolved, he would be physically ready for training camp.

"The last couple of weeks, I've gotten on the track, I've run a little bit, I've played basketball," Owens said. "That's not nearly as strenuous as football. The times that I've been on the track I've noticed that I've been really, really sore, as far as the hamstrings and joints and everything, because I haven't really sprinted since February, but I'm getting my timing down."

Owens said he recently was hand-timed at 4.41 seconds for the 40, laser-timed at 4.5 to 4.6. "That was positive for me... I'm just looking forward to getting back on the field," he said.

Of course, there is no guarantee that will happen this season, given the contract impasse.

"These are my new teammates this year," Owens joked as he gathered campers around him for an on-camera interview with Comcast SportsNet.

"I'm just looking for people to do the right thing," Owens said during that interview. "I've prepared myself just like I was [definitely] going to go into camp... I'm looking to score a lot of touchdowns and keep the crowd on their feet.

"Everybody knows what's at stake. If we can be grownups about it and get everything resolved, then that's what I'll do."

Camper parent Sam Ross, of New London, was impressed with Owens' unflagging good humor as he posed for photos. His 11-year-old son, Tyler, said he planned to "blow up" the photo of him posing with T.O. and hang it in his room.

Would he still want it in his room if Owens didn't play for the Eagles this year?

Tyler thought about that question for a second, then nodded. "Yeah," he said.

Owens made about $9.5 million last season, and will make about $3.5 million this season, but he apparently feels the $7.5 million in non-guaranteed roster and signing-bonus money he is due in 2006 might influence the Eagles to cut him then, at age 32.

i see his point. he shoulda thought of that when he signed with them last off season. i wouldn't be surprised if the eagles booted him even if he was superbowl mvp last year. the eagles FO are as cold as ice when it comes to business decisions. maybe he thinks he can chill at the house this year and pull a mcardell and come out lovely in the end.

Originally posted by richard saunders

I don't know why Eagles fans are so boo-hoo....

You guys knew what you were getting when you signed him.

No, actually they deluded themselves into thinking he would suddenly change his ways. :laugh:

Come on guys. We all have hope. It's the one thing that keeps us coming back. I HOPED that he was a changed man and the enormous goodwill had changed his ways and he finally found a home.

That would be like me saying:

I don't know why Redskins fans are so boo-hoo about losing every year.

You guys know what is going to happen when the season starts...

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Come on guys. We all have hope. It's the one thing that keeps us coming back. I HOPED that he was a changed man and the enormous goodwill had changed his ways and he finally found a home.

That would be like me saying:

I don't know why Redskins fans are so boo-hoo about losing every year.

You guys know what is going to happen when the season starts...

Throwin' down the glove early this wear, huh WB36? :)

Well I'm hoping we shock the world and spank you guys this season.

But onto Terrell...

This guy had me loving him by the time the reg season was over last year and believe me I couldn't STAND him at the start of week one. I think the offseason makes him crazy because I'm back to hating him again! When he's not happy, he makes everyone unhappy and that is the mark of a spoiled rotten baby, to me. I honestly think he bucked up and showed the world alot last year after the appalling way he dissed the Baltimore ravens, a team that welcomed him with open arms. His Super Bowl performance while very injured was absolutely the BOMB and I have applauded him since then. That is.. until now. He crapped on the Niners and the Ravens and is already showing that he's going to crap on you guys! Don't get me wrong, I realize it could all get worked out and I also realize that he's gonna light up the Skins and everyone else for about a TD per game this year if he does play, but if he holds out on Philly, I don't think I'll do another "about-face" on my opinion of this man. (I'll be chuckling a little at the Philadelphia team and it's fans, but I will puke upon hearing his name if he turns traitor on ANOTHER team.)

So that's my take on this T.O. thing. Great player, BAD teammate. I thought he had changed all that and that playing with McNabb made him happy and a happy Terrell was someone I enjoyed. Now I'll see over the next month or 2 if he's just a traitor/bad teammate. I'm guessing he is. He's 2 for 2 proving it so far, and you guys are going to HATE being on extremeskins if he bolts from Philly.

T.O is a crybaby. Before T.O. signed with the Eagles he was already considered by everyone in the league and especially himself to be a premier wide receiver. He signed a below market value contract last year by his choice.

Fortunately for the Eagles T.O. will be 32 after this year and he is now known to be a locker room problem to everyone. For these reasons he will play this year for the Eagles.

If T.O were to sit out a year does he really think that he will make more money at age 32 after missing a season a screwing 3 different teams within 12 months that he would make more $ elsewhere than what he is going to make now. I doubt it.

Best case scenario for the rest of the NFC is that T.O. holds out throught training camp and comes back to the Eagles week 1 and is rusty from not having practiced with his teamates for the first 3-4 games.

GO SKINS!!!:helmet:

Originally posted by TheREALJBird

HAHAHA, I remember like it was yesterday: "T.O. will not get out of line in Philidelphia because Andy Reid won't let him". looks like T.O got out of line....and Reid was still in line, the lunch line that is....ZING!!!

Originally posted by TheREALJBird

HAHAHA, I remember like it was yesterday: "T.O. will not get out of line in Philidelphia because Andy Reid won't let him". looks like T.O got out of line....and Reid was still in line, the lunch line that is....ZING!!!

:laugh: so funn you had to say it twice!

its the old saying, "you can't control someone who doesn't want to be controlled".

i think the line would be pretty long for TO if he became a FA again. Last time I checked, scoring touchdowns is important.

Archived