Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The birth of an island

Skins24

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050703/kyodo/d8b3rmbo0.html

Steam plume in Pacific confirmed as undersea volcanic eruption

(Kyodo) _ A column of steam rising 1 kilometer high Saturday about 5 kilometers northeast of uninhabited Minami-Iwojima Island in the Pacific was caused by an eruption of an undersea volcano, the Japan Coast Guard said Sunday.

A Maritime Self-Defense Force member at the MSDF's aviation base on Iwojima Island, north of Minami-Iwojima Island, spotted the column of water vapor about 1,000 meters high and 50-100 meters thick at 5:45 p.m. Saturday.

The coast guard conducted an aerial survey and confirmed the undersea volcanic eruption.

The water in the area has become yellowish brown over a 1-km area due to the eruption, the coast guard said. The color of the sea water began changing in mid-May, according to the Defense Agency.

The volcano is located about 50 km south-southeast of Iwojima Island. Minami-Iwojima is about 1,400 kilometers south of Tokyo. The islands comprise the Ogasawara island chain.

Previous eruptions of the volcano were observed in 1986 and 1992.

The Japan Meteorological Agency said there are no seismic gauges in the immediate area. One on Hahajima Island detected no seismic activity.

An island rose at the site of the volcano due to the eruption in the early 1900s. But it later eroded into the sea.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050703105409990001&ncid=NWS00010000000001

The birth of land can also happen via continental convergence, the rise and cooling of magma along mid ocean ridges, and there are other ways. Continents themselves also expand in these manners. I'm studying to be certified in Earth Science and I've been recently learning this stuff. I find it a lot more interesting than I thought I would. I may be turning into a "geek" in my older age. :doh:

nothing wrong with that, that stuff has always fascinated me. New lands keep coming in different parts, but the oceans also keep rising. I wonder how much less or more land there will be 1 million years from now, not that id be around to see it.

Originally posted by Mr. S

nothing wrong with that, that stuff has always fascinated me. New lands keep coming in different parts, but the oceans also keep rising. I wonder how much less or more land there will be 1 million years from now, not that id be around to see it.

Originally posted by Raub

It makes me sad to know that I won't be around to see any geological change of any significance. I find that stuff fascinating. Especially the Ice Age stuff, really interesting.

Saw on some discovery show the other day, that Mt. Everest continues to grow taller each year. About a quarter inch. My guess is that several other mountain ranges do as well. Tom?

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Hanauma Bay, Hawaii, where I did some excellent snorkeling yesterday, was created in the same exact manner.

I used to snorkel there once or twice a month. The best stuff is on the backside of the reef! Saw some turtles and other great stuff out there. It can be a real ***** getting back in though, especially if the tide is going out. There are some really good spots on the north shore also.

Archived