Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget Adams, let's move on

GatorEye

QUOTE:

So where will Adams play in 2002? Sources close to Adams told ESPN.com this week the most viable scenarios are Oakland or Denver on a one-year contract that would permit him to go back into the free-agent market next spring, or Baltimore on a multi-year deal. The Seahawks, who allowed Adams to escape in the spring of 1999, have made some quiet overtures but remain a longshot.

Cincinnati was eliminated, and Washington, while not completely removed from Adams' consideration, looks like an also-ran, too.

My slant on this is we don't need him and his large contract at this point anyway. Besides, even if we have adequate protection against the run, once our high octane offense gets into gear, teams are going to abandon the run and try to pass to catch up when they get a few touchdowns behind. That plays to our strengths in the secondary and where we should be more concerned - a strong pass rush.

My slant on this is we don't need him and his large contract at this point anyway. Besides, even if we have adequate protection against the run, once our high octane offense gets into gear, teams are going to abandon the run and try to pass to catch up when they get a few touchdowns behind. That plays to our strengths in the secondary and where we should be more concerned - a strong pass rush.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by panel

Qcard is such a pain. His only purpose is to piss us off.

Let him laugh now, but I don't think he'll be laughing when we hang a 50 spot on them on Thanksgiving.

I hear SOS is researching to find the largest margin of victory over Dallas on Thanksgiving so he can break the record :D

I don't know what game Adams is playing. Nobody is going to cut a signing bonus check for $8 million for him. It's just three weeks until training camp starts. If a DT gets hurt, nobody is going to make a significant desperation offer to Adams as they might to a QB or RB.

It's time to defecate or get off the commode, Sam.

When it was reported Adamas was actually looking for around a $4 million bonus I was thinking get him down just a little more and we might want to make a move. Haven't seem that anymore, though. All I hear is $8 million. We have to leave him alone at that.

You guys cut Q some slack. That was quite possibly the most intelligent post he's ever made here. :)

I would enjoy an intelligent outside perspective on things, but alas Q never seems to want to talk football. He just wants to upset the applecart. While I enjoy stirring the pot as much as the next guy, I am a diehard skin fan. When it comes from an outsider it stinks. Q should stay on the cowboy boards if he can't add any useful info to the conversation.

thanks, GatorEye, for backing up my own post a week ago about signing Ray Brown and passing for now on Adams :)

Adams is going to let this thing drag out until a week before training camp for maximum effect to see which team might suffer an injury and have to enliven the bidding with a desperate number.

We have seen this strategy before.

Honestly, with a guy 330 and 29 like Adams, having spent the offseason worrying more about money than playing football, I would be concerned that he is a guy that could easily not make it out of training and suffer an early injury once the work starts.

in the article above, I have to question how the Raiders have ANY money left to afford a premium player after their moves of the past couple of seasons.

but if they are willing to commit financial suicide by giving Adams a long-term deal with $7 million bonus OR a one-year deal for $5 million than good for them :)

it is amazing to me that the Redskins front office used to be able to find run stoppers like Darryl Grant, Eric Williams as low picks and bargain fre agents, but this team has to go out and spend top dollar for each performer we add on the DL.

At some point that has to end and we need to find some reasonably priced talent up front. :)

I agree that especially with these really big players they are prone to injury. He gets rolled up on or falls the wrong way and poof -$8 mill down the can plus years of cap hell for nothing in return.

I continue to stick by my statements. Concentrate on building a high octane offense and we can survive with an adequate run defense because teams will be abandoning the run when they fall a few touchdowns behind.

"it is amazing to me that the Redskins front office used to be able to find run stoppers like Darryl Grant, Eric Williams as low picks and bargain fre agents, but this team has to go out and spend top dollar for each performer we add on the DL."

In a way we did it to ourselves. When we beat the fish in the Super Bowl we returned the NFL to it's roots--smashmouf football. When everybody started playing that style (particularly in the NFC East) then a countermeasure had to be obtained if you wanted to be at all competitive. Thus, DT's started getting more and more valuable. The same thing happened after everybody saw how good the B-More D was with Goose/Adams in the middle. All of a sudden, DT's were almost celebreties whereas in the past they had labored in obscurity. Add to that fact the scarcity of guys who weigh 310+ WITH some speed/quickness and you have all the ingredients for Adams et al to be making the huge cheddar.

If SS is able to make DC into St. Louis east, then you'll see the value of DB's start to go up in the same way.

You and Bulldog got something there Gatoreye.

I recall Detroit tried a similar offense, not the same as the Fun-N-Gun, but just a makeshift something or other that was supposed to produce. Eric Hipple was the QB and it looked good there in Motown for a while until they ran up against a stellar defense led

by LT and Harry Carson, Carl Banks and Leonard Marshall. Every completion was a 1st down and then by half time, every pass was challenged, every run was stuffed and the Hipple was a tackling dummy. Parcells ripped up the offensive game plan of the Detroit Lions and on national t. v. undressed them, turned them around and spanked them!

However, the real McCoy at the time, was a former SF49er QB and Gator QB, that was running the Tampa Bandits of the USFL, and showed great promise with a style of offense that simply made defenses leary of playing him. Unlike Detroit, he worked on defenses like a surgeon, without a lot of nonsense and every play was used to score points.

Detroit tried, but failed, because unlike college, you need a good defense, consistantly to win it all in the pros, who are bigger, faster, stronger. Spurrier knew this at Tampa Bay and he knows even better now. Snyder complimented him with Marvin Lewis, so when an opposing team gets the ball, they in turn face a team that will be predicated on causing and capitalizing on turnovers.

Archived