Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

retro hats or politically correct run amuck?

gbear

So, I went to the Redskins store in Montgomery mall today. They had retro hats for the 70th aniversary. The hat has the retro spear logo instead of the indian head. Instead of Redskins, it says "Washington Football."

The hat looks pretty cool. I just wonder if it was put out there for anyone who objects to the "racist" part of the name. Afterall, they took out the "offensive" logo, and the "racial slur." It makes for an interesting change in marketing.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*******************************************************************************************************************************************KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Gbear,

If I'm not mistaken, Snyder is celebrating every year the team has been in Washington and not just the years the team has been the Redskins which is why it's Washington football. When the Redskins have a 70th, I expect you'll something else.

That said, Snyder is probably using this as an excuse to brand Washington instead of Redskins. If he's ever going to change the name, he's going to have to work his audience and that work may have to be subtle. Getting us to buy Washington Football shirts and hats that we'll all buy and love because they are cool, is a potential start if ever a change is needed.

Originally posted by cowboykilla

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*******************************************************************************************************************************************KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I feel your pain! :cuss:

I am starting to feel a conspiracy is in the works. I think they have a million jerseys freshly printed and ready to go sitting in the basement of Danny's house. However, I think they are pushing the release date back to build anticipation. Lord knows its driving everyone on this board crazy. I think by holding them, he's creating more buzz and more people will buy. Just a thought.

Art,

What year was the Washington football club not the Redskins? To my knowledge they've been the Redskins since day one in DC. I know they were once the Boston Braves but that only lasted a year of two in the 30's.

I suspect they are going to change the name to Warriors sooner than we think. They must think they will lose the appeal on the lawsuit.

Bingo.

I loved the Bullets. They were my team. I hated the change to Wizards -- both for the stated reasons and the unimaginative name itself -- but they're still my team. Thick and thin (very, very thin of late).

If the 2004 Washington Warriors win the Super Bowl, I'll happily drown my disappointment over the name change with celebratory champagne, and not look back.

Gbear,

I must have spoken poorly. The 70th anniversary team that is being honored in 2002 would date back to 1932, would it not? The team was the Boston Braves then before moving to D.C. and being the Washington Redskins. But, the 70th anniversary is in honor of all of the years of the franchise and Snyder is adopting the Boston portion of history as ours as well it would appear.

CK,

I hear you. I think it's ludicrous to have a 70th anniversary season when you are including four years in which the team was in another city using another name. But, Snyder didn't think the 66th anniversary was as neat to celebrate as the 70th and he is clearly looking for a way to market the team and increase revenue from these retro sales.

I have not seen the retro stuff yet, but I have heard the complaints that none say Redskins. As shown here that seems to be false and they do show Redskins.

Um Bufford,

You might want to check the very first hat in your pictures. That's the design I was referring to. I just saw the hat in beige.

No Skins emblem

No Redskins

Now I'll grant you it is just one of the new designs, but it seems like an ideal way to test the market for a name/symbol change.

If they couldn't use the name they it wouldn't be on any of team. That was my point. The Redskins name will be on the Emblem on the Retro Jersey's, and its on the front or rim of a few of those hats. I thought this was about the name Redskins not being copywritten. There are 3 other hats you could choose from if you wanted.

Archived