Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strangest, funniest or best moments at a Skins game

herman

I've been going to Skins games since i was a small child. Back when i was scared for my life parking and walking to RFK going to a Monday night game, then going to the skeleton Jack Kent Cook stadium, to now, the beautifully enormous FedEx field.

I've been to tons of games but one moment stands out one particular year. And it doesn't even have to do with the Redskins. I believe it was the 2000 season. The last year we went to the playoffs. I grew up in Williamsburg, Va. my whole life but left for college and moved down to Boca Raton from 99'-01'. During that time I would have to go to the bar to watch the Skins as they were not locally shown. My freinds and I would headout to a sportsbar named Wilt Chamberlins every Sunday. 2 were Cowboy fans, 1 was an Eagles fan and the other a Giants fan. We didn't plan it like that but it's how we turned out. I was the only Skins fan. But I met one other guy at the bar that year who would also come religiously every Sunday to watch the Skins. He was a cool cat. A young dude like myself who attended a different college but was originally from the Fairfax area. We sat at the bar all year and tripped out watching all the games together and became pretty good freinds. We only hung out on Sundays though to watch the game. Never saw him other than that.

So X-Mas break comes and i fly home to visit the fam and while I'm there I decided to get tickets to the last game of the year With a freind of mine from back home. I believe we played the Dolphins (ironically) in a game where we won and Rodney Peete came in for Brad Johnson, whom we rested for the playoffs (felt good to type that)

Halftime rolled around and me and my buddy snuck off to have a smoke in the area where all the porta-pottys were lined up. But we weren't smoking a cigarette if you know what i mean...cough..cough. After getting blitzed we appeared back in the hallway and who do i see? My boy from Boca Raton! What are the odds!?!?!? He was at the game with his brother and sitting only a couple rows above us. He had been a no-show at Wilts week 15 and he explained it was because he transferred schools back to George Mason. I couldn't believe we ran into each other so far away from where we started. If you really think about it...what are the odds we'd both end up back in VA in december...decide to go to a redskins game...and even then what were the odds we spot each other in a crowd of 80,000 when we weren't even looking for each other!?

Very cool way to top off our last great season. The only season Norv had a team to work with.

Then i was back at Wilts watching Mitchell take the halftime kickoff house, only to see the game winning field goal snap botched.

Still..all-in-all..it was a great year for me and for my team.

Feel free to share any crazy experiences you've had at a game...

Originally posted by jimster

I was at that game too - and the next week playoff game vs. Detroit. - That was the loudest I ever experienced Fed Ex.

I'm born and raised around DC and will almost always run into someone I know at a game.

I was at the Detroit game too. We should have beaten Tampa the next game but we blew it............

I have 2 Redskin game day memories that really stick out in my mind.

1. In the strike shortened year I was able to get tickets to RFK to see the Detrioit playoff game. When Darrell Green broke up the last pass at the goal line to secure the win the place exploded. Never experienced anything like it before or since. The whole stadium was shaking.

2. The night game a couple years ago against I believe the eagles. It was not long after 9/11. We were in the upper deck and all the players ran out on the field and the games stops. The ref then announces over the PA that an unknown substance has been released on the field. It freaked alot of people out. I didn't find out until going home that it was a fight and just tear gas.

HOF44

Bob

Seeing Clinton Portis take the first run of the year to the house this year. The play erupted. It was the coolest thing I've ever been apart of. That game a whole was perfect. We won, and looked great doing it. I really thought we were gonna win the Superbowl after that game.

Originally posted by autographcollector

I was at the Detroit game too. We should have beaten Tampa the next game but we blew it............

Yeah we should have beaten them, but no one bothered to sign a Kicker that year!:doh:

San Diego. 1986 .... I think...

Jay Schroeder @ QB, George Rodgers @ RB. Dan Fouts and Charlie Joiner etc.

I had been gifted 2 season tickets by a neighbour who knew I was a huge skins fan. I'd never been to Jack Murphy Stadium before and wasn't ready for the horrendous parking problems. By the time the wife and I got to our seats the skins were already down 17-0, half way through the first qtr. I was pissed!

Looking around I couldn't help but notice we were sitting in a sea of blue and yellow. My burgundy cap shone like a beacon.

WTF, it was a georgous afternoon! We grabbed beers and peanuts a settled down. The natives were in a good mood and I was happy just to be there. We were @ about the 25 yard line, quite close to the field. It wasn't all bad.

Petibones defence soon rose to the occasion and put on the brakes followed quickly by a George Rodgers scamper off right tackle and around the corner, untouched for about 17 yds to pay-dirt! The skins were back in it!

I don't remember much about the 2nd and 3rd qtrs other than we fought hard to stay in it and slowly but surely closed the gap.

Somewhere in the 4th, Clint Didier (I think it was he) hauled in pass from Schroeder and we were within a touchdown. It was around this time that the natives started getting restless. You could hear the smiles dropping from their faces. It was also about this time that my wife reminded me how much blue and yellow surrounded us and suggested I might celebrate with a little less verve. Point taken.

Well whadaya know! It was with little more than 2 mins to play when Schroeder hit Clark on a short in-route for 6 and I came out of my seat like a f*ckin rocket! Screaming like a banshee! Well the dude next to me throws his freekin beer all over me a storms off! Pu$$y! But I couldn't have cared less! I was so happy! I just stood there screaming like an idiot! The skins had pulled it off!

It took us about 3 hours to drive home. 3 beautiful hours of Charger post game radio. Ahh, the pissing and moaning was something to behold, my friends. Epic! I was cussed out 2 or 3 more times just for good measure by fellow motorists who spied the burgandy cap and just couldn't help themselves!

Ahh, happy days! Happy days.

:D :helmet:

Originally posted by dreamingwolf

wasnt that a holder error?

either way it was a long field goal attempt for Conway and Brad Johnson was holding and Dan Turk made a low snap, I remember he didn't fly back with the team and was very upset about it.

Ahhh RFK.. I saw dozen's of games there and I really miss it. The one that sticks out in my mind the most. Was a few years back. Not sure of the exact year. We were playing Detroit, the game went into OT.

Detroit one the toss, but luckily we pinned them back at like the 1 yard line. There may have been a penalty I don't remember..

Anyway, on their first play in Over time, they threw a pass to the left and who else was there but Darrel Green to snatch an INT and scurry into the end zone, ending the game.

Also remember being at a preseason game. We were at like the 20 yard line.. I was with my friends in the second row, in one of the corners (Yeah crappy seats). Anyway Hugh Douglas chased Terry Allen out of bounds , they both were running so hard they ran out of bounds and Douglas had Allen bend over the railing talking smack to him.. I patted Allen's helmet and gave Douglas the finger. That was kinda cool, even though our seats sucked..

Originally posted by stupidsuck

either way it was a long field goal attempt for Conway and Brad Johnson was holding and Dan Turk made a low snap, I remember he didn't fly back with the team and was very upset about it.

It would have been about a 50 yarder... and Matt Turk was the holder for his brother's snaps. I believe that Dan Turk was dead within the next year from testicular cancer. Sad stuff all around.

On a happier note, the best moment at a game was by far the 99 playoff game against the Lions. Its still to this day the loudest Ive heard FedEx, although the TB game the follow year that went to OT (Deion returned punt) gave it a close second.

There is no doubt what my best moment was at a Skins game. I have missed very few home games since my father started taking me at age 7 in 1972. I am now a season ticket holder myself but one moment shines above all else.

Jan 22, 1983..RFK.....Redskins vs Cowboys in the NFC Championship game. The Skins had lost to the Cowboys 6 straight times and not many game them a chance that day. The Skins went up 31-17 in the 4th quarter and in the game's final minutes the heavens opened up with a beautiful snow shower. Dexter had already knocked out Danny White and Darryl Grant had already scored that famous TD. I made my way down to the rail ready to rush the field in celebration. After what appeared to be the last play I jumped the rail and ran towards the field with hundreds of others. But we were quickly turned back....referree Jerry Seeman ordered the Cowboys back on to the field to run one more play because there were 12 seconds left on the clock. As the beaten Cowboys made their way back on to the field and WR Drew Pearson lined up at quarterback to take a knee and end it....I stood at the side of monstrous Joe Jacoby on the sideline as the players were high fiving each other and celebrating with unalduterated joy as that last play sealed a trip to the Super Bowl. Coach Gibbs was hoisted onto the shoulders of the Super Bowl bound Skins and I ran like I was on fire out on to the field. The goalposts came down and an upright was broken off. We ran around the field with the upright overhead for hours it seemed. When it was time to leave I looked down and saw that my white colored levi corduroys (remember them) were green almost up to my knees from the paint on the field.

It doesn't get any better than that.

For me, nothing beats the NFC Championship game at RFK. That

place rocked with "We Want Dallas".

Another memorable experience was 8 years ago. Took my stepson to his first NFL game. We were playing the Giants

and we got there before gates opened. Found the players

parking lot and watched them arrive. My stepson was in

awe of their size. When we got home he told his mom that

he could tell how drunk a Redskin fan was by the color of

their face. Guy in front of was got blitzed.

Two years ago took my son to his first Redskin game. It

was against the Saints and Hasselback was the QB. We lost,

but it meant a lot to him.

Gallantfox

wow that has to be the best one.

Mine is 2001? skins made the comeback against carolina.

Fans leaving, moved down to better seats, and watch lavar

intercept run it back, then the great catch in the endzone.

Beautiful.

Pepper Spray game against the Eagles. Like mentioned before, they announced there was a foreign substance on the field, and people were freaking out since it was so close to Sept. 11.

I also found out it was pepper spray once we got home that night.

Can't beat Gallntfox's memory IMHO.

I was at the the Carolina game as well when Lavar intercepted that bald loser Weinke and turned our season around. Those that were left went craaazy.

My best memory of a Redskins game was the last time we beat Dallas - Darrell Green's last game. He gave this incredible speech before the game started. He stopped in the middle of his speech and he applauded the Redskins fans. His hand claps were echoing throughout the stadium on the PA. Goose bumps. I'll never forget it.

Originally posted by skins0128

Pepper Spray game against the Eagles. Like mentioned before, they announced there was a foreign substance on the field, and people were freaking out since it was so close to Sept. 11.

I also found out it was pepper spray once we got home that night.

i was at that game as well. me and my freind were up in the nosebleed seats by the lights, so we didn't know what all the commotion was about. By the time we found out the already knew it was pepper spray. That game got really nasty between fans. I even had a fellow skins fan call me a white motherf*cker just for asking if the shuttle was still running!

Originally posted by Gallntfox

There is no doubt what my best moment was at a Skins game. I have missed very few home games since my father started taking me at age 7 in 1972. I am now a season ticket holder myself but one moment shines above all else.

Jan 22, 1983..RFK.....Redskins vs Cowboys in the NFC Championship game. The Skins had lost to the Cowboys 6 straight times and not many game them a chance that day. The Skins went up 31-17 in the 4th quarter and in the game's final minutes the heavens opened up with a beautiful snow shower. Dexter had already knocked out Danny White and Darryl Grant had already scored that famous TD. I made my way down to the rail ready to rush the field in celebration. After what appeared to be the last play I jumped the rail and ran towards the field with hundreds of others. But we were quickly turned back....referree Jerry Seeman ordered the Cowboys back on to the field to run one more play because there were 12 seconds left on the clock. As the beaten Cowboys made their way back on to the field and WR Drew Pearson lined up at quarterback to take a knee and end it....I stood at the side of monstrous Joe Jacoby on the sideline as the players were high fiving each other and celebrating with unalduterated joy as that last play sealed a trip to the Super Bowl. Coach Gibbs was hoisted onto the shoulders of the Super Bowl bound Skins and I ran like I was on fire out on to the field. The goalposts came down and an upright was broken off. We ran around the field with the upright overhead for hours it seemed. When it was time to leave I looked down and saw that my white colored levi corduroys (remember them) were green almost up to my knees from the paint on the field.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Awesome, awesome story..

Archived