Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does having a 1300+ yard RB count for anything?

NoCalMike

I don't want this to turn into a simple "our offense is going to be good in 2005" thread, but I am thinking back to those years with Stephen Davis, when we had a solid running game and how experts/analysts and the like would always give our team the benefit of the doubt because of a solid running game. Keep in mind this was with Frerotte at QB with Westbrook as a #1 receiver, and Albert Connell as his sidekick

To me, if you have an established Running back who you can count on, which the 'Skins do have, then it is only 1/2 of the offense that needs to improve. I still think people are missing the point that despite everything on offense that went wrong last season, Portis still rushed for over 1300 yards, and this included games where he didn't play for a quarter, or split time with Betts.

With our offensive line seemingly much improved in 2005, I find it nearly impossible for our passing game to be as sluggish as last season, no matter who the QB is. Sure, they may not light the NFL on fire, but with Portis lined up in the I-formation, you simply need an ample passing game.

It counts for a lot. But teams will still stack the box against us until we can prove that our QB WR play can beat them. Watch and see the Bears play 8 in the box against Portis until/if Ramsey can loosen them up. We are going to have to prove we can do it.

I agree. The running game will be better with Jansen and Raback, but Portis still put up a lot of yards last year.

I believe a solid running game and good defense wins games. Add to that a decent passing offense and you have a team that should be in every game and fight for playoff contention.

As for the Bears, well they better find a way to put 13 in the box if they don't want Portis to rip another 170 on them.

We fell behind a lot last year because our inability to score early or at all. Basically taking the running game out of the game in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.

As long as we can score instead of punt or throw pics or fumble in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters we should improve significantly from last year.

:2cents:

I think a 1300 yard runner counts for alot, but when your only getting 2859 yards out of your passing game its almost a wash.

I believe this year with Jansen back and a full year under the system the Redskins will do much better but remember it took Portis 343 carries with a 3.8 average to get those 1300 plus yards.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I don't want this to turn into a simple "our offense is going to be good in 2005" thread, but I am thinking back to those years with Stephen Davis, when we had a solid running game and how experts/analysts and the like would always give our team the benefit of the doubt because of a solid running game. Keep in mind this was with Frerotte at QB with Westbrook as a #1 receiver, and Albert Connell as his sidekick

To me, if you have an established Running back who you can count on, which the 'Skins do have, then it is only 1/2 of the offense that needs to improve. I still think people are missing the point that despite everything on offense that went wrong last season, Portis still rushed for over 1300 yards, and this included games where he didn't play for a quarter, or split time with Betts.

With our offensive line seemingly much improved in 2005, I find it nearly impossible for our passing game to be as sluggish as last season, no matter who the QB is. Sure, they may not light the NFL on fire, but with Portis lined up in the I-formation, you simply need an ample passing game.

1300+ yds. counts for a lot when you add to that; several 20+ yard runs, more than 5tds, and more than just 3.8 ypc with the money Portis commands. Portis never seemed comfortable in Gibbs system so it says alot that he still had 1300 + yards.

Quarterbacks can win without running backs.

Running Backs cannot win without Quarterbacks.

A 1300 yard back can be a difference maker when you have an average passing game. But last year, unfortunately, our passing game was not average. It was pathetic.

Cp was 185 yards short of 1500

he got hurt in dallas so he missed like three games (he needed 61.66 pergame in the last 3 he would have got 150 aginst Minn)

our run blocking sucked last year (or running scheme)

i know some one has film on some of are 1999 games look and see how Norv had them boys blocking even down to the wr's

that how we will look this year

run pop run

Always keep this in mind that a Good Passing game opens the Run and vise versa.. if our Passing game should improve then teams will be reluctant to pack 8 or 9 in the box to wait for Portis, because P. Rams. could go over the top. So yeah, i see Portis going for 1400+

Originally posted by goskins

If Moss, Patten, Brown and some of the other WRs are as fast as rumored....then I see at least 1 team getting seriously burned by trying to stop Portis with 8-9 guys in the box.

In the league, unless you have an elite defense (which most don't), your weakness is the being burnt by the big play. I honestly believe our current WR roster can bring those 'big plays' we didn't have last year. Moss and Patten have both proved it, in big games, that they will come through in the clutch with a big play. Jacobs has shown flashes of this ability.

Originally posted by authentic

Always keep this in mind that a Good Passing game opens the Run and vise versa..

See: Marshall Faulk and the Rams offense.

See: Edgerrin James and the Indy offense.

See: Curtis Martin and the Patriots offense.

These are examples IMO of RBs that are/were good, but without the passing attack the their teams at the time would have suffered the same fate as the Redskins did last season. An overworked back because of the scheme/talent/consistency not affording a little cushion to work with.

Archived