Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone here know anything about credit?

spjunkies

You can dispute the record with each of the credit bureaus. This can be done online. Just dispute that you never got a bill, and paid in full as soon as you did. In the case of such a small bill, and because you paid in full, they probably won't even respond to the credit bureaus inquiry. They have 30 day, I think. If that happens, it will be completely removed, and your score will go up.

Thanks so much for the respnse.

One more question, I'm having trouble getting an apartment I want because of this, is there any way I can let them know the debt has been paid? I know my score won't jump up right now but I really want this place and I don't know what to do.

I just had the same problem and I paid off all the debt I had and in a week it was shown on my credit report as paid. Now I just have to work on getting my credit to a good status. The apartment I am going to move into is making me put down a deposit of the monthly rent . So I am assuming you may be able to do the same.

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

How did you find that free credit report.com? Did you have to give a CC number or agree to all sorts of nonsense? I'd be curious to check our credit as well.

I just went through the process GV about five minutes ago. It's quick, but you have to wait several days for their mailing to reach you which is pretty annoying. It's free for 30 days, and then they charge you $12 a month. Seems worth it especially because cancellation can be so quick.

It takes 10 years for a collection, judgement, or bankruptcy to be removed from your credit unless you can prove it was placed on your credit report in error. Sorry, but because you moved doesn't usually count as a legit reason. You have an obligation to notfiy any creditors of a change of address. The only reasons typically to get a collection account, etc. removed is if:

1) The bill wasn't yours to begin with, so it shouldn't be on your report.

2) You paid the bill and the creditor didn't process the payment correctly. So, reporting it as a collection is an error by the creditor.

What you can do is get proof that the bill was paid and keep a copy of it because you will have to answer why it wasn't paid for awhile. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

To raise that credit score you need to establish some more credit and use it wisely. Two open accounts and one of them being a collection = bad credit score. You may have to do a "secured" credit card...:2cents:

Originally posted by RonJeremy

It takes 10 years for a collection, judgement, or bankruptcy to be removed from your credit unless you can prove it was placed on your credit report in error. Sorry, but because you moved doesn't usually count as a legit reason. You have an obligation to notfiy any creditors of a change of address. The only reasons typically to get a collection account, etc. removed is if:

1) The bill wasn't yours to begin with, so it shouldn't be on your report.

2) You paid the bill and the creditor didn't process the payment correctly. So, reporting it as a collection is an error by the creditor.

What you can do is get proof that the bill was paid and keep a copy of it because you will have to answer why it wasn't paid for awhile. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

To raise that credit score you need to establish some more credit and use it wisely. Two open accounts and one of them being a collection = bad credit score. You may have to do a "secured" credit card...:2cents:

It's my understanding that it is better to have a paid collection han an active collection. I think your credit score is mostly determined by your last 9 months or so. If somebody has a bad history but shows good history for 9 months, their score becomes acceptable.

Just for future reference, here is the "credit scoring model".

FICO Score calculations:

35% payment history

30% Amount you owe

15% Length of credit history

10% new credit

10% type of credit.

What does this all mean?

Pay your bills on time, keep credit cards below 20% of their limit amount, don't close accounts you have had for 12 months or more, and don't have many of the same types of accounts. i.e. too many credit cards, or five car loans and no credit cards.

Here is the information you will need to dispute the information on your credit report:

EXPERIAN

PO BOX 2002

Allen, TX 75013

www.experian.com

TRANSUNION

PO BOX 1000

Chester, PA 19022

www.transunion.com

EQUIFAX

PO BOX 740241

Atlanta, GA 30374

www.equifax.com

What you want to do is open up an investigation on the accounts that are in dispute. It then becomes the bureau's responsibility to contact the debtor and either certify that the information is true or deem it false within 30 days. If no response in 30 days, it is removed.

Best of luck in your search for a home. I know it's tough, but at least now you know what you have to do!

You may try writing a letter of explanation to the landlord and showing them that the account is under dispute.

Worth a try. It's worked for me in the past.

Hey spj,

I just looked at your credit report. You need to obtain a car loan and a credit card ASAP. The main reason your score is low is because you don't have any debt. Companies will consider you a high risk until you show somewhat of a credit history.

Take it easy! Let me know if you need any more help.

Steve

Archived