Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chop Wood- Trent Murphys Blog

Koolblue13

So, not sure has all checked this out, but it's extremely well written and explains a lot about his increased success and how hard he works. It talks about the team mentality, last week, this week, etc.

Keep Stacking Wins.

A couple of us talked about it in the RTTSE and figured everyone might enjoy it.

http://www.tmurphy93.com/2016/10/20/cant-stay-the-same/

Coming into Week 7, we’re 4-2, trying to go 1-0, stack wins, fight complacency and entitlement. Get another win on the road this week and keep improving as a team. That’s the name of the game.

It wasn’t that long ago that we were 0-2, and the media was asking everyone if we were all ready to jump off the Titanic. God bless ’em, but one thing you learn as a player is that it’s a long season, and that as long as you start going 1-0 every week—even if you have a rough start—anything can happen.

First you learn to survive, then you learn to thrive. We were determined to stay together, and not let a little controversy or adversity on the field get us down. We wanted to keep pushing ourselves, putting an emphasis on the work, and cutting out anything that could be seen as a distraction. Because it only means something based on what we do from here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This week we’re playing another good team in the Lions on the road in Detroit, and that’s always a challenge. We don’t have that home field advantage, we have to travel, and it’s a hard turf field and a tough place to play. Matt Stafford is a good quarterback and he has a really good hard count, he draws a lot of defensive linemen offsides, so that will be another challenge.

But the way we’re rolling right now, we feel we’re up for any challenge. Being able to stack up four wins now, everyone’s pretty excited and playing together. I think this team’s ready to just keep going 1-0 every week and take it on from there. But as our coach reminds us, you can’t underestimate them, and can’t overestimate ourselves. We have to continue with our preparation.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Loved the portions about the dummies that he's had custom made to help improve his hand fighting

Yeah, that's really cool. The entire "investing in himself" stuff is great. I hope he has a monster day today and can stay in the race for the leaders in sacks.

I like the part where he talks about going for the sack/fumble instead of just the sack. He did that to Matt Stafford on Sunday. Unfortunately, the ball bounced right back into Matt's hands as he fell to the ground, but the play would have been huge if we got possession. It is cool to see the improvement and actually hear that the player is working towards specific fundamentals.

23 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Another sack and fumble.

Maybe I should have titled it the curious case of.....

Haha yeah I thought it was a curious case too. Then I remembered he led the nation in sacks his senior year at Stanford and a players third year is prime time for them to have a breakout year. Also I don't hear anyone mentioning it but could his success have to do with putting on the extra weight in the off season to play DE? I read somewhere that he said he hates eating to gain weight and this off season was hard for him, then he was asked to cut the weight, maybe he kept all the muscle he put on while bulking up this summer and cut all the fat? I really think the difference in strength gained from this off season through being forced to bulk could be the key to his success. 

Finally got the chance to read this. Excellent piece! As an engineer I love the interaction there. The best part is he is seeing some really tangible results of all his hard work. Who knows, if that fumble doesn't jump back in Stafford's hands the game could have come out a lot different, even with all the miscues.

Archived