Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Athletes allege abuse and racism at University of Illinois

Dub70s

They called it the "dog pound."

It was a separate practice for women's basketball players at the University of Illinois, a majority of them black, where athletes were often allegedly harassed and attacked for things that had nothing to do with basketball.

Like the neighborhoods where they grew up. Or their family life.

In addition, players and their families have complained to CNN that they were pressured to play through injuries that go far beyond the typical tough nature of college sports. In one case, a women's basketball player says she was forced to play with an injured toe that ended up being diagnosed as a broken foot. Athletes on the football team also complained that injuries were not taken seriously -- one recalling a time when coaches threatened from the sidelines that he would lose his scholarship as he limped across the field with a knee injury.

Overall, students and parents on both teams say there was a culture of coaches bullying students, with frequent threats to take away their scholarships even though university policy says an athlete can't lose his or her scholarship because of injury or performance in sport.

The university's athletic director, Mike Thomas, acknowledged that the allegations are serious and call into question the culture of the program.

"I was certainly troubled by all the allegations. And those allegations don't match our core values," he said. "Certainly our student athletes need to be in an environment that's safe, that's healthy, that takes their well-being as primary importance."

Women's basketball head coach Matt Bollant and head football coach Tim Beckman declined to comment through a university spokeswoman.

"Look at what the university has to lose," said Lydia Tuck, the mother of one former women's basketball player. "I'm sure they're worried about Title IX funding. I'm sure they hope that we go away."

• Athletes at the University of Illinois accuse coaches of harassment
  • CNN spoke to 15 recently departed players on the football and women's basketball team
  • The university's athletic director acknowledges the allegations are serious and call into question the culture of the program

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/us/illinois-athletics-allegations/index.html

I went to Illinois and Mike Thomas has destroyed that athletic program.  It was one thing when the teams were bad but this is disgraceful.  There are similar stories coming out about the football team right now too.  It all starts with Thomas though.  He fired the football coach and both basketball coaches in his first year as AD-- this is all on him.

• 1 month later...

Illinois fired Tim Beckman today, a week before their football season starts: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2557130-tim-beckman-fired-by-illinois-latest-details-comments-reaction

Between this and the newest RG3 drama I am officially a fan of the two dumpster fire-iest teams in college and pro football.

EDIT:  Interesting sidenote:  When I came to U of I as a freshman, Norv was coaching the Redskins and his brother Ron was coaching the Illini.  It's like the the perfect bookends on ~15 years of mediocrity for my two favorite football teams.

Archived