Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Not sure if we have the luxury to spend our top pick on a DE, but I was watching film on Aaron Donald and he is an absolute animal... Would love him and Barry as our DE's along with a FA adition of a NT. Our pass rush would be insane!

I don't think it would be a luxury pick at all. As we all saw in today's game, the DL was unable to get pressure w/o the blitz. 

I'm a huge Aaron Donald fan, and I was the first to mention him in this thread, but I think he's a better fit for the 4-3 (which we might switch too). Another great pick would Dominique Easley if his rehab is on schedule.

I don't think it would be a luxury pick at all. As we all saw in today's game, the DL was unable to get pressure w/o the blitz. 

I'm a huge Aaron Donald fan, and I was the first to mention him in this thread, but I think he's a better fit for the 4-3 (which we might switch too). Another great pick would Dominique Easley if his rehab is on schedule.

I agree, DE is absolutely not a luxury pick for us.  Our DE are one of the worst units on our team (though Bowen and Carriker injuries hurt but you can't count on them being healthy).

I'd love Sefarian-Jenkins as well though.  I know some probably think we have greater needs than at TE, but he and Reed are two completely different kinds of players.  Reed is the hernandez (without the murdering) to Sefarian's Gronkowski.  I think Sefarian-Jenkins is actually bigger than Gronk, and the type of receiver you can just send against a linebacker or safety and have him just out-muscle the guy for the catch.  It's why I'm a big fan of Kelvin Benjamin as well, I think our offense has too many finesse pass catchers and nobody who will do the dirty work.

I, however, would veto Colt Lyerla.  He seems like a real screw up, and I'd rather take his teammate De'anthony Thomas, who's stock appears to be falling.

His highlight tapes are insanely impressive. Very athletic, light on his feet, and tough as nails. Him and Reed on the field at the same time would be quite problematic for defenses. But I think it's a riskier pick than Hernandez was coming out (different reasons) and he probably falls further.

Again it goes back to the risk of him. He's got some issues with him. Personally I'm starting to watch AC Leonard now as a possible later round TE guy 

One guy I like alot is Yawin Smallwood. Watch his game vs Michigan and you'll see what I mean. 

Strengths:

1. Fast. Ran down Devin Gardner and has pretty good sideline to sideline ability

2. Good in coverage. Didn't see many balls completed on him but when they were he always had a hand in the throwing lane

3. Instinctual. Makes quick decisions and saw one play where he was covering a drag route when Gardner took off. He then came off his man and made a stop for a gain of 2 yards

4. *Strength and block sheading*. One thing I saw alot of is his ability to shed blocks with strength and power. 

Weakness:

1. Suspect angles. Saw him take a few bad angles but he made up for it with his athleticism and tackling skills. Work necessarily work at the next level. 

Pro Comparison:

Navarro Bowman. Yeah. Seriously.

Smallwood is one of those guys who will be there at 34, the question is do we pass him up and hope he is there in the 3rd or pick him in the high second? Obviously a Cousins trade, combine results and the few players who inevitably drop will impact the pick, but in my opinion, unless Cyril Richardson, Justin Gilbert, Marquice Lee or Clinton-Dix is there we need to make this pick.

I agree, DE is absolutely not a luxury pick for us.  Our DE are one of the worst units on our team (though Bowen and Carriker injuries hurt but you can't count on them being healthy).

I'd love Sefarian-Jenkins as well though.  I know some probably think we have greater needs than at TE, but he and Reed are two completely different kinds of players.  Reed is the hernandez (without the murdering) to Sefarian's Gronkowski.  I think Sefarian-Jenkins is actually bigger than Gronk, and the type of receiver you can just send against a linebacker or safety and have him just out-muscle the guy for the catch.  It's why I'm a big fan of Kelvin Benjamin as well, I think our offense has too many finesse pass catchers and nobody who will do the dirty work.

I, however, would veto Colt Lyerla.  He seems like a real screw up, and I'd rather take his teammate De'anthony Thomas, who's stock appears to be falling.

Defensive End is not only a big need, it might be the biggest reason our defense has struggled this season. Jarvis Jenkins is only a run stuffer, and with Bowen out our depth has been seriously exposed. I wouldnt be against picking someone like Tuitt in the 2nd, but when you actually watch his tape, you cant help think its jarvis jenkins all over again. Just no explosion. On the topic of tight end, ASF will almost certainly be there in the 3rd, lack of production and off the field issues will do that to you. The downside is with so many other holes, how can the redskins seriously consider another tight end? I mean the safety, corner, mlb, de, og and wr all could use an upgrade. It really all depends on what system the new coach wants to run and who we sign in free agency. 

Will Sutton might be the pick over Donald if the Skins go that way. If you watch his 2012 tape its almost stunning how good he was. So quick and so strong, it looked like Geno Atkins playing in college. However, this year is a completely different story. Put on some bad weight and looked pretty bad at times. He is one of those guys who could be a situational pass rusher that could wreak havoc.Him Donald and Easly will probably be there in the 3rd or 4th too. 

Some late round guys you could look at are: 

Marqueston Huff, S Wyoming. Great athlete and hard hitter, probably will run low 4.4. Cant hurt on special teams.

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa. Logan Paulson 2.0. An awesome blocker with reliable hands. Need a great blocking tight end.

Pierre Decir, CB Lindenwood. Robert Alford of 2014. Long corner standing at 6'2. Has some serious athletic ability. 

Daniel Mccullers, NT Tennessee. 6'8 377. Massive man with incredible strength, is probably the most raw player in the draft. Has good athletic ability but no technique. Could be worth a 4th. 

Seantrel Henderson, RT Miami. Now here is an interesting player. 6'8 345, he is huge. Was a top 5 recruit out of highschool, he had massive expectations and never lived up to them. Off the field problems could push him down, but the obvious talent is there. Might go in the 3rd but could be a serious steal in the 4th. 

Tevin Reece, WR Baylor. A slot guy, hes got the speed and quickness you look for, but not an elite prospect in any sense of the word. Could be worth a 5th rounder. 

Sorry for all the posts guys, just thought id share some of the prospects yall should check out. 

Some late round guys you could look at are: 

Marqueston Huff, S Wyoming. Great athlete and hard hitter, probably will run low 4.4. Cant hurt on special teams.

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa. Logan Paulson 2.0. An awesome blocker with reliable hands. Need a great blocking tight end.

Pierre Decir, CB Lindenwood. Robert Alford of 2014. Long corner standing at 6'2. Has some serious athletic ability. 

Daniel Mccullers, NT Tennessee. 6'8 377. Massive man with incredible strength, is probably the most raw player in the draft. Has good athletic ability but no technique. Could be worth a 4th. 

Seantrel Henderson, RT Miami. Now here is an interesting player. 6'8 345, he is huge. Was a top 5 recruit out of highschool, he had massive expectations and never lived up to them. Off the field problems could push him down, but the obvious talent is there. Might go in the 3rd but could be a serious steal in the 4th. 

Tevin Reece, WR Baylor. A slot guy, hes got the speed and quickness you look for, but not an elite prospect in any sense of the word. Could be worth a 5th rounder. 

Sorry for all the posts guys, just thought id share some of the prospects yall should check out. 

I'm interested in Fiedorwicz, but I'll have to watch more of him.  Not sure I'd draft just a logan paulsen upgrade before the 7th.

McCullers I'm completely mixed about.  Everyone here is impressed by his size, but I've seen him get pushed backwards by guys who are probably 100 pounds lighter than him.  I'd imagine being so tall and big makes it hard for him to win the leverage battle in the nfl.

Reece I feel has poor hands and isn't overly explosive in short area quickness, despite his overall speed.  He could be more-or-less another Aldrick Robinson.

Seantrel is a guy I'd probably want over McCullers if we're talking pure athletic big guys.  He is incredibly nimble on his feet for his size, and mirrors pass rushers really well.  He's got great awareness and agility, but where I've seen him struggle is hand use and just upper body strength.  When he's driving forward he's almost impossible to stop in his tracks, but in pass protection, when he's moving backwards, he'll let a player into his body and just be unable to redirect the guy.  It probably has less to do with his upper body power than his technique though.

Paul Richardson

ncf_a_richardson_mbl_300.jpg

After spending five weeks and 15 practices getting to know his players earlier this spring, Walters believes he will be coaching a special talent in Paul Richardson who has the potential to follow in his footsteps and winarrow-10x10.png the same award.

"The sky is the limit," Walters said when asked what is possible for Richardson in 2013. "I mean he can be the best in the country. He can winarrow-10x10.png the Biletnikoff Award and definitely can be a consensus All-American.

"He has all the tools and abilities to be the best out there. I mean, he can run. He's got another gear that I haven't seen in collegearrow-10x10.png football. He's got great hands and he's hungry. So you add all those things together. He's coachable. I expect big things out of him this year."

After missing all of last season w/ a torn ACL, the 6'1", 170 lb Richardson had 83 receptions w/ 1343 yds and 10 TDs. He's great at getting vertical. He's a little raw, but he could become a great vertical threat to Garcon once he's ready. Walterfootball.com currently lists him as a 3rd rounder. Could be a solid choice if we don't go WR in the 2nd.

I'm interested in Fiedorwicz, but I'll have to watch more of him.  Not sure I'd draft just a logan paulsen upgrade before the 7th.

McCullers I'm completely mixed about.  Everyone here is impressed by his size, but I've seen him get pushed backwards by guys who are probably 100 pounds lighter than him.  I'd imagine being so tall and big makes it hard for him to win the leverage battle in the nfl.

Reece I feel has poor hands and isn't overly explosive in short area quickness, despite his overall speed.  He could be more-or-less another Aldrick Robinson.

Seantrel is a guy I'd probably want over McCullers if we're talking pure athletic big guys.  He is incredibly nimble on his feet for his size, and mirrors pass rushers really well.  He's got great awareness and agility, but where I've seen him struggle is hand use and just upper body strength.  When he's driving forward he's almost impossible to stop in his tracks, but in pass protection, when he's moving backwards, he'll let a player into his body and just be unable to redirect the guy.  It probably has less to do with his upper body power than his technique though.

Yeah he C.J might be worth a late round pick based solely on his ability to block and his red zone ability at 6'7. Mccullers will either end up a pro bowler or will be out of the league in 3 years. Mark my words. The potential is limitless but if he doesnt vastly improve he wont be worth a roster spot. Seantrel is a prospect we have to look at if we switch schemes. You just dont find physical talent like his very often. One guy who I think has serious pro bowl potential is Austin Seferian Jenkins from Washington. Probably wont be a first rounder due to off the field issues but is THE most complete tight end in the draft. Wont run the fastest 40 (thank god) but he plays like Rob Gronkowski and has a blocking ability that is unmatched. If we are gonna go WR with the 2nd round pick, we might as well pick ASJ and just run more 2 tight end sets. 

Paul Richardson

ncf_a_richardson_mbl_300.jpg

After missing all of last season w/ a torn ACL, the 6'1", 170 lb Richardson had 83 receptions w/ 1343 yds and 10 TDs. He's great at getting vertical. He's a little raw, but he could become a great vertical threat to Garcon once he's ready. Walterfootball.com currently lists him as a 3rd rounder. Could be a solid choice if we don't go WR in the 2nd.

Eh, seems like he drops alot of passes. Getting tired of guys who have outstanding measurables (hankerson) or speed (robinson) but have a hard time running routes or just catching the ball. Wouldnt spend anything higher than a 4th. 

Yeah he C.J might be worth a late round pick based solely on his ability to block and his red zone ability at 6'7. Mccullers will either end up a pro bowler or will be out of the league in 3 years. Mark my words. The potential is limitless but if he doesnt vastly improve he wont be worth a roster spot. Seantrel is a prospect we have to look at if we switch schemes. You just dont find physical talent like his very often.

Actually that's the great thing about Seantrel.  He moves so well that he can fit a ZBS, despite being 340+ pounds.  Even heavy guys like Anthony Davis who went in the 1st don't move as swiftly as he does.  Heck, I'm not sure our own Trent does.  I think a lot of his problems in college stem from lack of experience.  He also has an injury history, which is unfortunate but not damning imo.  One of the injuries was a concussion from a car accident.  He may never develop, but the upside on him is immense.

As far as ASF, I agree on the wr comment.  If this offense needs another pass catcher, I don't think we need to limit it to wr.  Reed is a mismatch and can be moved all over, which alleviates some of the need for another wr.  He'll become a nightmare because if you play nickel to cover him we can just run the ball, and if you play a base defense he'll get open.  Meanwhile, ASF is a monster when in line, strong enough to block defensive ends while also being agile enough to give a security blanket and great RZ target.  He and Reed are two completely different players and should see the field together on the majority of snaps.  It's not a luxury pick if he serves a need.

Kelly submits NFL evaluations for Tuitt, Niklas and Atkinson

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2013/12/23/kelly-submits-nfl-evaluations-for-tuitt-niklas-and-atkinson/

The deadline to enter the NFL Draft is January 15.

That evaluation submitted for Niklas also makes sense, as the hulking junior put together a breakout season on his way to becoming a Mackey Award semifinalist.

With the NFL becoming more and more dependent on jumbo athletes like Niklas, the Irish’s track record of spitting out NFL talent alone makes him worth a look.

Add to that Niklas’ 28 catches and five touchdowns, paired with his size and blocking ability, and you’ve got a guy that’ll be highly valued by NFL teams.

Niklas talked a little bit ($) about the evaluation process, seeing it more as a to-do list for his senior season than an impending decision-maker.

“Definitely some key takeaways, what they think I need to improve in my game,” Niklas told IrishIllustrated.com. “Definitely some good things to work on in the off-season. Just having a little bit of information at the next level so you’re not going into it next year kind of clueless.”

A player I've followed for the last couple of years (he and his teammate Bryce Callahan), I've made a handful of posts about him and actually think highly of him.

He's a skinny kid, lean, not very muscular, but long limbed. He plays Press, a lot, and has very natural instincts covering the pass, with good tracking skills. He's not particularly strong, won't disengaged blocks too well, if at all, and not necessarily someone you'd call physical. However, he does get after it. I don't think it's for lack of trying. He does hustle. He likewise seems to find a way to jam a receiver well enough despite his physical shortcomings.

This is however what you get at the end of the draft. There is upside here. In some ways he reminds me of the kid from Nevada a few years ago, who ended with Chicago as a 6th rounder - Isaiah Frey.

Frey actually has already contributed to the Bears D and has seen a good amount of playing time. Frey had 21 pass break-ups his Senior year, with 5 INTs.

This guy is named: Phillip Gaines

Gaines and Frey have very similar body types. Gaines is 6'1" - 185 pounds. Both move in very similar fashion and tempo.

He's another PDs numbers guy, seems to always find the ball. Gaines had 18 PDs in 2012, which ranked 2nd nationally. This year 7 PDs, with 4 INTs.

This is a guy who should at least get a shot at camp. I think he's worth a late round selection.

Phillip Gaines - CB #15 - 2012 highlights - pass break-ups

2013 vs La Tech

Phillip Gaines Rice Profile

Targeted 40 times this season and allowed just 13 completions

Earned first-team, All C-USA honors from league coaches for second consecutive year

vihd.png

Article: Rice cornerbacks may be C-USA's best

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rice/article/Rice-cornerbacks-may-be-C-USA-s-best-4981816.php

Really like Lyerla as a player. The aspect of his game that stands out the most to me is just how tough the guy is. However not sure how i feel about him in the locker room. We've had our troubles with pot, don't like the idea of him introducing coke to the boys...

Not sure if we have the luxury to spend our top pick on a DE, but I was watching film on Aaron Donald and he is an absolute animal... Would love him and Barry as our DE's along with a FA adition of a NT. Our pass rush would be insane!

Here is some good break downs of Aaron Donald.

Link:http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aaron_donald_710949.html

2013 SEASON TO DATE: Perhaps Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly put it best when he said, "Aaron Donald is a one-man wrecking crew."...the All-America candidate is making a case for being the most disruptive defensive lineman in college football...named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year by the Atlantic Coast Conference Sports Media Association...leads the nation in tackles for loss (2.2 per game), while ranking 13th in sacks (0.83 per game) and 10th in forced fumbles (0.33 per game)...Donald is second in the FBS for active career quarterback sacks with 28.5...finalist for the Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Outland Trophy and Rotary Lombardi Award...semifinalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy...Donald had arguably the most dominant individual defensive performance of the 2013 college football season at Georgia Tech on Nov. 2...he compiled 11 tackles (all solo), six TFLs, two forced fumbles and a sack vs. the Yellow Jackets...the six TFLs are the most by an FBS player this season...was named the Bednarik Award National Defensive Player of the Week, Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week and ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week for his Georgia Tech performance...was named the Bednarik National Defensive Player of the Week following his two-sack performance in a 14-3 win over Virginia on Sept. 28...was named the Lott IMPACT and Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week as well as the ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week after collecting nine tackles (eight solo), 3.5 TFLs and two QB hurries at Syracuse on Nov. 23...he also blocked a PAT against the Orange which proved to be the decisive point in a 17-16 Pitt victory.

I ended up with:

34  WR KELVIN BENJAMIN  FLORIDA STATE
66  ILB SHAYNE SKOV  STANFORD
98  DT DAQUAN JONES  PENN STATE
130  C BRYAN STORK  FLORIDA STATE
162  WR JOSH HUFF  OREGON
194  OG CHRIS WATT  NOTRE DAME

It's still in beta and kind of buggy. Highly doubtful the Bengals draft both Brandon Coleman and Tevin Reese for instance... 

Here is some good break downs of Aaron Donald.

Link:http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aaron_donald_710949.html

2013 SEASON TO DATE: Perhaps Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly put it best when he said, "Aaron Donald is a one-man wrecking crew."...the All-America candidate is making a case for being the most disruptive defensive lineman in college football...named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year by the Atlantic Coast Conference Sports Media Association...leads the nation in tackles for loss (2.2 per game), while ranking 13th in sacks (0.83 per game) and 10th in forced fumbles (0.33 per game)...Donald is second in the FBS for active career quarterback sacks with 28.5...finalist for the Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Outland Trophy and Rotary Lombardi Award...semifinalist for the Lott IMPACT Trophy...Donald had arguably the most dominant individual defensive performance of the 2013 college football season at Georgia Tech on Nov. 2...he compiled 11 tackles (all solo), six TFLs, two forced fumbles and a sack vs. the Yellow Jackets...the six TFLs are the most by an FBS player this season...was named the Bednarik Award National Defensive Player of the Week, Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week and ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week for his Georgia Tech performance...was named the Bednarik National Defensive Player of the Week following his two-sack performance in a 14-3 win over Virginia on Sept. 28...was named the Lott IMPACT and Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week as well as the ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week after collecting nine tackles (eight solo), 3.5 TFLs and two QB hurries at Syracuse on Nov. 23...he also blocked a PAT against the Orange which proved to be the decisive point in a 17-16 Pitt victory.

2012 Will Sutton was better. Stronger and quicker. Has already had a David Amerson like fall from grace though, and unlike Amerson, doesnt have the measurables you look for. 

I ended up with:

34  WR KELVIN BENJAMIN  FLORIDA STATE
66  ILB SHAYNE SKOV  STANFORD
98  DT DAQUAN JONES  PENN STATE
130  C BRYAN STORK  FLORIDA STATE
162  WR JOSH HUFF  OREGON
194  OG CHRIS WATT  NOTRE DAME

It's still in beta and kind of buggy. Highly doubtful the Bengals draft both Brandon Coleman and Tevin Reese for instance... 

I got hageman, smallwood, easly, henderson, desir and huff. I would be so siked if this actually happened.  

Used First-Pick.com the other day and got this beauty.

Round 2 Pick 27 (S.F.): Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 32 (SEA): Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State (B+)
Round 3 Pick 2: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State (A)
Round 4 Pick 5 (CLE): Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State (B+)
Round 4 Pick 11 (NYG): Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska (A-)
Round 4 Pick 24 (CLE): Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (A)
Round 5 Pick 2: Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State (A-)
Round 5 Pick 11 (NYG): Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma (B+)
Round 5 Pick 30 (S.F.): Justin Britt, OT, Missouri (A)
Round 6 Pick 2: James White, RB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 6 Pick 11 (NYG): Deandre Coleman, DT, California (C-)
Round 7 Pick 2: Cairo Santos, K, Tulane (A)

Archived