Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green signing autographs

MWCREDSKINS

Called, have a jersey that i paid $175.00 to have him sign the last time he was at the Chantilly show. Asked if i could buy a inscription ticket only. "Darrell will not inscribe pre-signed items" I was told. He is also going to be at Chantilly in July, maybe he will there...

Yeah he will be there to the tune of a 150 bucks???!!! It is amazing to me that the other HOF players are charging about 45-60 bucks and he is charging all that. I thought he was supposed to care about the fans and all that. I know that there are people out there who take advantage of players generosity and turn around and sell signatures, but how much money does he need? I understand that you have a right to sell your signature for whatever you want, but I will wait for a while and see if his signature goes down.

Yeah he will be there to the tune of a 150 bucks???!!! It is amazing to me that the other HOF players are charging about 45-60 bucks and he is charging all that. I thought he was supposed to care about the fans and all that. I know that there are people out there who take advantage of players generosity and turn around and sell signatures, but how much money does he need? I understand that you have a right to sell your signature for whatever you want, but I will wait for a while and see if his signature goes down.

He doesn't do free signings because his autographs are almost always sold on ebay. He hates that and has decided to raise money for his foundation.

He did recently give a free signing at the store the Perfect Pair in Leesburg. The Perfect Pair is a gift store that is owned by his wife and his wife's best friend.

I went. Darrell signed my item nicely but as i thanked him started talking to the store owner and ignored me.

Did you go to Sportscardheroes signing or the psgamegear one? The sportscard one was cheaper by about 50 bucks, but they other one had a limit I think. PSgamegear has nice stuff, but way over priced, IMO.

I was down there around 12:30pm, Green showed up about 5 minutes till 1:00pm. Green smiled to everyone as soon as he walked in. I had ticket #10 to get a autograph. I brought a jersey to get signed. The biggest thing was the guy behind me had a 2002 Redskins 70th Anniversary jersey

to get signed by Darrell Green but Green would not sign the jersey because of the special patch on the jersey and told the guy he had to pay a premium but the shop did not set a rate for this jersey, so Darrell stopped signing my jersey to talk to the Card shop owner about charging the guy an extra $50.00 before Green would even consider signing the jersey. I think Darrell should be embarsed of himself the way he handle the situation. To me all he was there for was the money. I stayed and watched for a while just to see how he interacted with other fans. Put it this way for every fan that thanked Green including myself he may have said thank you to about 1/2 the fans there. To me it seemed like all he was interested in was the money. I was more impressed with his sons manners at the event!

I was down there around 12:30pm, Green showed up about 5 minutes till 1:00pm. Green smiled to everyone as soon as he walked in. I had ticket #10 to get a autograph. I brought a jersey to get signed. The biggest thing was the guy behind me had a 2002 Redskins 70th Anniversary jersey

to get signed by Darrell Green but Green would not sign the jersey because of the special patch on the jersey and told the guy he had to pay a premium but the shop did not set a rate for this jersey, so Darrell stopped signing my jersey to talk to the Card shop owner about charging the guy an extra $50.00 before Green would even consider signing the jersey. I think Darrell should be embarsed of himself the way he handle the situation. To me all he was there for was the money. I stayed and watched for a while just to see how he interacted with other fans. Put it this way for every fan that thanked Green including myself he may have said thank you to about 1/2 the fans there. To me it seemed like all he was interested in was the money. I was more impressed with his sons manners at the event!

That is really sad to hear that. I would think that Darrell would be happy that anyone would be willing to pay about 200 bucks for his signature, which I feel is a rip off anyway! I can't believe that Darrell would want to charge and take advantage of the very people who contributed in support of him throughout his career. It is hard to make a judgement about one event in time. I am sure that I wouldn't want to be judged on people having met me only one time, but I don't think that it is right for a guy who was getting paid pretty signifcantly to go ahead and say charge 50 bucks more! That is an outrage. You are right, he should be embarrassed. It is really sad to hear that fans who think that he is Mr. Redskin does something like that where he goes and charges extra for something that he was already getting paid for. I am glad that I bought the magazine; I would have hated to have receievd that kind of treatment to the tune of 200 dollars! I love Darrell Green for all the memories that he has provided for me throughout my lifetime, but when I hear stories like that, it really makes me cringe because I would like to think that Darrell is a good guy who cares about the fans.

On the flip side, I do understand why he and other players are so adamant about protecting the money that they get because often times people go out and sell autographs that they received for free. The players have a right to protect themselves from people who are out to just make a quick dollar off of them. Where I come out is that Darrell should have just signed the green jersey and it wasn't the fans fault. The store should said something to begin with. If I owned that jersey, I probably would have done the same thing. HE should have just said to the owner privately that there was some sort of premium for signing the jersey, but signed the jersey anyway. Besides there was only like 100 tickets available and how many of those people in line had that exact same jersey to be signed? It doesn't look good when someone who has everything goes and starts complaining about a minor detail in the contract and then makes the fans feel like they were doing something wrong or trying that the fans were to take advantage of Darrell Green. With the amount of money that he was charging to sign autographs, he should sign a door if I brought it in. It was his mistake for not mentioning that in the contract and if his agent messed that up, well then he should be on the agent and not on the fan who nice enough put down 200 bucks to meet and sign for the guy. Rediculous

He doesn't do free signings because his autographs are almost always sold on ebay. He hates that and has decided to raise money for his foundation.

He did recently give a free signing at the store the Perfect Pair in Leesburg. The Perfect Pair is a gift store that is owned by his wife and his wife's best friend.

Nobody is asking him to sign for free. I understand that it is an experience and that if you are getting something specific signed, then they have a right to get something out of it. But when other HOF members in his class are charging less than half for signatures and he is charging about 55-60% more than others that is just wrong. So what if people sell his autograph on EBAY, I don't think that he has the right to charge 150-200 for a signature. He is great guy if you aren't asking for a signature, but to charge that to a fanbase that has supported him for years, I don't thinkt that it is reasonable to take advantage of the fans in that respect. I bought his autographed magazine for 78 bucks that came with an unautographed copy as well. There is no way that paying 200 is worth it for any player.

I was just watching redskins radio, Darrell was taking about "how overpaid he is with the love of the fans', etc." no, you are overpaid because you nickel and dime the fans when they are willing to spend $200.00 for your autograph, and that is still not enough.

I was just watching redskins radio, Darrell was taking about "how overpaid he is with the love of the fans', etc." no, you are overpaid because you nickel and dime the fans when they are willing to spend $200.00 for your autograph, and that is still not enough.

Well, I would not pay that kind of scratch for Darrell... I have met him several times and think he is a (bleep). :2cents:

I am just wondering, with the amount of money he was charging... what was the attendance like?

Green is just not a very nice guy to fans off camera. It is what it is.

And Green autographed items don't cary a high demand on EBay. I have said this many times in threads. He is the pickiest autographer you will ever deal with...and it's not because he thinks you will sell it.

I have met Darrell Green at a couple of functions for his charity. Both times he was rude to me and others. He was a great Redskin and he does a lot of charity work, but from what I've seen he treats a lot of his fans like crap. It really shocked me the way he was treating people because I had always thought he was a super nice guy. The Darrell on TV and the Darrell in person are two different people. I even thought that maybe he was having a bad day the first time I met him. The next year I went back and he was the same way. I told my wife that it would be the last time that I went to one of his functions because he was a jerk. I wish it wasn't true, but I have talked to a few others that have met him at other functions and it basically is the same thing that I have read on this post. Sammy Baugh will always be Mr. Redskin in my eyes.

Yeah, I have heard the same thing about Darrell not being the "Hall of Famer" in person. He was at Fair Oaks Mall for the Comcast Redskins show two season ago and refused to sign anything. It wasn't a requirement, but every guest, no matter who they were the circle of sports, signed before and after their portion of the show.

When I saw the dollar amounts he was asking for, I decided that perhaps Green wouldn't be as great of a get as I thought. It's sad, because guys who might be a little more flambouyant on the field (Deion) get raked over the coals for his perceived personality while a guy like Green gets praised when in truth he appears to not appreciate the fans who cheered for him all these years.

People can do what they want, and I'm sure we're all thinking "if I was in his shoes, I would sign for everyone", but seriously, would we? Well, I know for sure I wouldn't charge $200!

When he was at Fair Oaks taping Monday Night Live I asked him to sign a Super Bowl XXII poster and he told me to bring it to the auto show which was a week or two later. I stood in that line for three hours for him to say "sorry, I cant sign that". When I reminded him that he told me to bring it here he just put his head down, signed the cardboard auto show photo and pushed it towards me not saying a word. That why I had to shell out $125 for him to sign it on Saturday.

As a side note... I was told by a promoter that Darrell's signing fee is so high because when he decided to start doing these events he asked who the highest pair Redskins was. The answer was John Riggins (usually $100-$225). Darrell wanted to be the highest paid Redskins since he feels that he is "Mr. Redskin".

I have no problem with players charging to sign autographs. They can set the price at whatever they want and see if there is demand. My only thing is, weather its $1 or $200, just be nice to the fans who support you. How hard is it to smile and shake somebody's hand? Thats why I love the old timers. They as so much happier to meet the fans.

When he was at Fair Oaks taping Monday Night Live I asked him to sign a Super Bowl XXII poster and he told me to bring it to the auto show which was a week or two later. I stood in that line for three hours for him to say "sorry, I cant sign that". When I reminded him that he told me to bring it here he just put his head down, signed the cardboard auto show photo and pushed it towards me not saying a word. That why I had to shell out $125 for him to sign it on Saturday.

As a side note... I was told by a promoter that Darrell's signing fee is so high because when he decided to start doing these events he asked who the highest pair Redskins was. The answer was John Riggins (usually $100-$225). Darrell wanted to be the highest paid Redskins since he feels that he is "Mr. Redskin".

I have no problem with players charging to sign autographs. They can set the price at whatever they want and see if there is demand. My only thing is, weather its $1 or $200, just be nice to the fans who support you. How hard is it to smile and shake somebody's hand? Thats why I love the old timers. They as so much happier to meet the fans.

I asked earlier but no one responed... since you were there.... how many fans were there? I was just wondering if people are starting to catch on to him yet.

Straight up. Pat Fischer, a redskins player that I was way too young to watch was one of the best autograph expriences ever. He would laugh with you and take pictures. Both he and Ron McDole were awesome as were Mark May, George Starke, and Mike Nelms when they signed at the Dulles CSA show in march. It was a great experience. I then went to the Super Bowl reunion signing that PSgamegear sponsored. Even though it was on the expensive side to get those autographs, it was great getting to talk to the players and every single one of the players that I got was willing to take pictures was very appreciative.

After hearing these stories, I am a little reluctant now to go to Canton and watch him get inducted. I have tickets to the induction and the HOF game, but it sucks when I hear how he treats the fans and wants to charge more money because he considers himself Mr. Redskin? Says who? I would have said so before I had heard all these stories and before I saw the outrageous prices that he is charging. I am sorry, but he is charging more money than Terry Bradshaw and I thought that was an absolute rip off. I will always love Darrell Green for his achievements on the field and what he has done with his charity, but I really hate how he has treated the fans who had have not only bought merchandise and other things, but were there at games and so supportive throughtout his career.

I am for the free market and all that, but in good conscientous I could not and would not charge 200 for a signature. I am not saying I wouldn't charge something, I probably would at a show, but to be so nitpicky about certain items is absolute insane. If you pay 200 you should sign anything within reason. That goes for jerseys that have patches on them and all that. Just not the right thing to do a fanbase from my persepective.

I was at the Green signing on Saturday. The store was very small, and it was crowded, so it is difficult to say how mayn people were there. I was in the 1-20 line, and there were still a significant number of people in the store. I would guestimate the number of paying customers totaled 75ish. The numbers were surely hurt by Green's signing in Chantilly in July.

I paid $190 for Green's signature and 2 inscriptions (NFL's Fastest Man / HOF 2008) on a helmet that I am trying to have signed by as many 1991 Skins as possible. I thought that Green was friendly. While he wasn't a Joe Theismann who will talk to any fan about anything for 10 minutes, he wasn't rude to me at all. He seemed genuinely concerned about where he would be signing the helmet, and he even made a few suggestions about its placement. He seemed to be a person who took pride in signing something, rather than the athletes that will simply slap a sloppy signature on a helmet without much care. When he finished signing, he complimented me on the helmet and said he would like to have one at his house. He also made a kind remark to the guy in front of me (can't remember exactly what he said) and was friendly to an elderly couple 2 in front of me. That's all that I saw.

In terms of his price, the $200 for a jersey is a lot, but he charged less than that for other items (8x10s, minis etc). He charges more than the other HOFers at Chantilly be cause he was one of the best at his position, which is a high-profile position. He is still #3 on the sales list despite the high price. Offensive linemen simply can't charge as much as high-profile players, which is why you might pay $30 for a Chris Samuels signature (a possible future HOFer) and twice that for Cooley's (a 1-time pro bowler). Consider that Cal Ripken, Jr. charges $265 for a premium item and $60 for each inscription. Bradshaw was in Chantilly in March charging $200 for a premium item and $100 for an inscription. Riggins was at PSGamegear in December charging $200 any item. Tiger Woods will run you about $1000. When Art Monk surfaces at a signing there is no doubt in my mind that the fee for him to sign a full-size helmet will be very close to Green's $150.

. I will always love Darrell Green for his achievements on the field

That's all I care about.

I wouldn't pay a wooden nickel for an autograph.

I do have an autographed Darrell mini-helmet, but it was a gift,

I have a few...Theisman, Taylor, Portis, Arrington, etc and, I have to say, my most prized autograph is Dave Butz.

He signed a white old-school Redskins hat and a picture. He personalized the picture by making it out to me. His signature is very legible. It looks slick on the hat, and the picture.

He was real cool and friendly. It sounds like "Mr Redskin" could learn a thing, or two, from ol' #65.

Archived