Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pentagon to implant microchips in soldiers' brains

Ken

I understand your frustration regarding this. However, that is the nature of the beast. The military moved his unit to NJ for training, and subsequent deployment, they are not responsible for getting him back to his family before he goes overseas. He gets paid (and leave) for that. It would be like you taking vacation from your job and asking your company to pay for your trip.

As far as getting a combat knife, I have been 3 times, not once did I get issued a combat knife. I did BUY my own however, but like I stated earlier, a Combat knife is not a necessity for ALL military occupations. YES, he should have been issued a sling for his SAW, why he didn't I dont know. And as far as seing his family before he leaves, what is to stop you guys from taking the short drive up to NJ to see him off? More than likely, they are awaiting "official" orders to go, and those can come down anytime.

I do understand your frustration, trust me, I have been on both sides of this issue. But I do not see where the military is responsible for paying for his unit to take leave to go home to see family.

Yes, I understand, but here is my issue: The government spends a lot of money on pork. And not does the military have a greal deal of pork spending, but, as I mentioned before, there are a lot of issues with war profiteers. And when I look at the grand scheme of things, with overpriced hardware, unneeded programs receiving hundreds of millions, reports of private contractors over-charging by the millions, and then accounted trillions in DoD...You mean, after all of this, they can fund $5,000 for a bus ride?

I am sorry - I realize what you are saying, but it is just a tad absurd for me.

And while there are bigger issues then combat knives, considering he is probably going to be deployed in a combat zone, to be me, the knife is just an indication of how soldiers have to spend their own money just to buy some of the little things. I mean, a combat knife should be part of any soldier's kit, I would think, regardless of his or her deployment. But perhaps I am a bit old school in my thinking, since I always think of soldiers having a blade of some type.

Unfortunately, I do not know all of the details of the situation, but the unit as a whole is busing down here. But, if needed, we would have driven to NJ to send him off.

Thanks for the reply - it is good to hear from someone that is a little bit "in the know"! :cheers:

I thought we were talking about IF it should be used. If it was something that would be removed after the term of service is complete, I think it would be a good thing for our soldiers.

Well then, we agree. All I said was "are these chips a good idea? If they can help us win wars and save lives of our soldiers, then I think they are."

I agree with removing them after service, and I can also see the arguement for havnig it be only a voluntary practice (however, it IS the military.) But since we don't know anything about policies the military would implement with regards to using these chips, just that the military is trying to develop them, it's difficult to comment on those policies.

I see no way it's good for our citizens and thats where the the(my) troubles come from. If we put chips in our soldiers, our pets, our children, the rest of the public will be next. The national ID card is just about here, is it realy that far of a cry away from carring the card under your skin if it's sold out of convinence and safety? Once down this road, the lines will surely be blurred.

This is where we disagree. I don't see this as the first step down a slippery slope. Researching something for military use and forcing medical procedures on private citizens is a big, big leap. At least to me.

I didn't say "force" it on our citizens. If the chip was something the gov't felt was nesessary, it would be sold to us and we would buy it. Similar to some of the freedoms we have allowed to be comprimised under the Patriot act. If it makes you feel safe, what do you have to worry about. That kind of thing.

Having been in the military, I think I would get the chip, if it was taken out after my enlistment. Especially working on an aircraft carriers flight deck. The thought of hitting that water, knowing they don't turn a carrier around, is a little scary.

I didn't say "force" it on our citizens. If the chip was something the gov't felt was nesessary, it would be sold to us and we would buy it. Similar to some of the freedoms we have allowed to be comprimised under the Patriot act. If it makes you feel safe, what do you have to worry about. That kind of thing.

No way in hell I, as a private citizen, would ever voluntarily get an ID implant. I'm guessing a lot of people feel the same way, no matter how the government tries to sell it.

I want the chip, but only if it can also tell me my blood alcohol level. Think of the endless drinking games that would ensue.

We already get our fingerprints and DNA put on file forever, and have to get a form approved to go on vacation, this isn't anything earth-shattering. How can it be used as a location beacon? It's not like it has a range of more than a few inches. You can't locate a lost pet by homing in on it's chip, the only way you can access the info is to run a scanner over it. My take: medics will have a small handheld scanner that they will run over the chip, gathering information on the soldier's blood chemistry. It's a good thing.

No way in hell I, as a private citizen, would ever voluntarily get an ID implant. I'm guessing a lot of people feel the same way, no matter how the government tries to sell it.

I agree 100% with you, but not everybody does. As in the links I posted earlier, people are getting them for reasons like being a VIP at a club. Another family did it in florida for thier baby to be safe from 9/11 terrorist fears.

Again, for the military, even my parinoid self would line up for one if it was removed after service, but I think it's to slippery of a slope to travel down.

Looking over the Clemson link again (the other link didn't work for me, someone else said it didn't work for them):

There is no mention of where the chip will go. No dramatic announcements of injecting chips into troops brains anywhere on that page.

The chips are supposed to monitor glucose and lactate levels and wirelessly transmit that data. I would absolutely love to have one, to help out my marathon training. Each week I do one run at an elevated pace to try to improve the pace I can run at before lactic acid levels get too high and I have to slow down. The hardest part of this run is trying to gauge if I am running too hard and have started to produce too much lactic acid, or if I'm not running hard enough and not producing enough lactic acid. It's a fine line. This chip would be pretty handy for distance running training, assuming implanting it had no negative health effects.

I fail to see how having your glucose and lactic acid levels broadcast in a local area is something to fear.

Archived