Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussion Topic: Different Thought Process for Different Decision Makers

KDawg

Let me start this (I seem to begin a lot of my posts that way :ols:) by pointing something out. This is NOT a quarterback discussion thread. I may use examples of QB play, but I'll try to use others as well. Discussion about quarterbacks is fine, but keep in mind the general theme of the thread... puhllleeeaaaassseeee! *makes begging face that you can't seem to resist*

Anyways, there needs to be different thought processes throughout the decision making process for different people.

Mike Shanahan needs to find ways to preserve his job. Whether that means after this season, or after his five years are up. Not only that, even if he chooses not to remain the head coach, his success may mean his son's hiring. Decisions for him need to be the best for the team right now (meaning in the next 2-3 years). Peyton Manning, for him, may be a great decision if the guy is healthy and can play.

Bruce Allen's job is a bit different. Bruce Allen needs to think about the team's future. I think he'll be around even if Shanahan isn't in the near future. He needs to think of direction. Going into next season without a quarterback means we need to think about one in the 2013 Draft. Which, if Shanahan is still around, is year four out of five. If Shanahan continues to struggle, whoever we draft in 2013 is caught in limbo... Big time. If whoever we bring in doesn't need that guy at the helm, we're in the market for a quarterback... Again. That's devastating to the franchise AND to the kid we draft.

Essentially, these two have the same goal in mind: Winning. Shanahan should have a few years to do it, Bruce should have a bit longer. They both need to think differently though. Shanahan can't have the same long term health of the franchise in mind that Bruce Allen can.

This is why I think Shanahan has a realistic point of view from shying away from the whole "trade up to get a QB" scenario. He should at the very least ride out his contract. He can find a guy next year that he believes can help this team out in the long term. Because if it doesn't work out, he's moving on to a different situation.

Bruce Allen, on the other hand, has to be thinking that the best decision is to trade up. (Well, he doesn't HAVE to be thinking that, this is 100% pure conjecture). Getting a guy like Luck or RG3 could not only provide a quarterback to help us win now, but preserve the franchise's future. You'd have less coaching change, if they are successful with the new quarterback, there is continuity in the franchise. It gives the quarterback time to prove his worth, and it gives you one more year to gather other pieces of the puzzle. Waiting a year is dangerous, because again, there is no guarantee that you'll get a guy, and then you may be waiting until year five to do just that... And that's EXTREMELY dangerous for the franchise's health.

And if they do have differing opinions, I think that's an extremely GOOD thing for this franchise. I'm not trying to argue otherwise. But I could totally see the two of them having different points of view.

Now, if we can't move up, this conversation is all for naught, as there would be nothing our team can do but consider other options.

But the tl;dr version of this is simple: These two guys should have two different paths to the same goal: Winning. And in that vein, it's a great dilemma. :)

Hopefully, and I don't see it being an issue, these two guys can come to an agreement on what to do and set out to do it. :)

'K, and you need to excuse me as I'm in a VERY pissy attitude with American sports owners at the minute, so it's probably affecting my judgement; but what's up for discussion here that you've not more than eloquently and succinctly stated and answered the points in the OP man?

Hail.

Uhhh. Well. Considering that there is very probably a ton of people that disagree with me, I'd like to see other's takes.

I'll be disappointed if everyone agrees. :ols:

KDawg - Winning. Shanahan should have a few years to do it, Bruce should have a bit longer.

It's interesting that you think the guy who has a longer term viewpoint would be more likely to want to move up for the QB now rather than vice versa. I would say that Bruce would be looking at the most probable options to maximize talent for the team over the next couple of drafts. What can I get this draft; and what type of talent is available in the 2013 draft. How well does RGIII fit what Shanahan is saying he wants to do? What potential players is it going to cost? In the long-term I don't care whether I get my QB this year or next year as long as I get him. If getting him this year means you lose XYZ player(s) that would also be critical to the long-term success of the team then it may be better to wait till next year's draft.

Also, you assume that Shanahan will be out after his contract expires if the team still isn't winning. That's a logic assumption based upon Danny's past history of dumping HCs after shorter stretches. But, if Bruce Allen really thinks that Shanahan is doing a good job on the coaching end then he should be pressing Danny to keep Shanahan on longer. After all, the roster will be filled with players especially selected to suit Shanahan. A new coach may not like the players for a different scheme.

KDawg - Winning. Shanahan should have a few years to do it, Bruce should have a bit longer.

It's interesting that you think the guy who has a longer term viewpoint would be more likely to want to move up for the QB now rather than vice versa. I would say that Bruce would be looking at the most probable options to maximize talent for the team over the next couple of drafts. What can I get this draft; and what type of talent is available in the 2013 draft. How well does RGIII fit what Shanahan is saying he wants to do? What potential players is it going to cost? In the long-term I don't care whether I get my QB this year or next year as long as I get him. If getting him this year means you lose XYZ player(s) that would also be critical to the long-term success of the team then it may be better to wait till next year's draft.

Yes. That is my belief. I understand what you're saying... But... If Bruce wants continuity, he wants to get Shanahan a QB now. Not later. And a young one that can be here through more than one regime. That would give Shanahan three years with Griffin and we'd be able to see if he gets this team to where we want it to be. If he's successful with Griffin, he or his son can be kept on board as our head coach. If he's not and it flounders, but RG3 shows promise, we can bring in a similar minded offensive coordinator and move along. The problem is if we wait on a young drafted QB.

If we wait, and we don't get to see a large sample size, and things go badly, we're right back in the QB market. Griffin seems like he's going to hit. I mean, who knows, he could bust hard. But I don't see it. If we can get him, I think he helps our franchise's health long term. Which is why I believe Bruce would be in the market to get him. He's EXTREMELY versatile.

Also, you assume that Shanahan will be out after his contract expires if the team still isn't winning. That's a logic assumption based upon Danny's past history of dumping HCs after shorter stretches. But, if Bruce Allen really thinks that Shanahan is doing a good job on the coaching end then he should be pressing Danny to keep Shanahan on longer. After all, the roster will be filled with players especially selected to suit Shanahan. A new coach may not like the players for a different scheme.

I don't assume that he's out. But he's aging. I think he'd be out after his five years more because if he's not successful, he's gone. And if he is successful, he may want to pass the reigns to his son. It's conjecture for sure, but not for the reason you think.

KDawg, Bruce Allen doesn't have much say on roster makeup. It is not his job, he isn't expected to do so. To be honest I don't see Bruce Allen making roster decisions even if Shanny is gone. He might just give it to someone else.

I would hope that all three (Snyder included) have formed multiple short term AND a long term plan as far as it comes to a QB. For example, they may have decided to trade up for xyz only to be outbid by another team. They may have decided to aim for the healing gunslinger only to watch him sign with another team. The thought process should be "How do we make this a winning team and sustain it?"

Each having a different perspective can be helpful - like Gibbs and Beathard. Remember that Joe did not always take who Bobby wanted, but Bobby always made the trades that Joe wanted.

For now both just need to get the ship out of shallow water. I think it will be if/when the team starts to succeed that this short term/long term difference will really be an interesting discussion.

:helmet: The Rook

Archived