Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot = Pork Bellies :)

bubba9497

Thinking about the Smoot Contract discussion and the hard-line the Skins placed on the value... I can't help but think about a scene in the Movie

Trading Places.

bare with me. In one scene, the Dukes are teaching Eddie Murphy's character (Billy Ray Valentine) about commodities, and trading for profit. During their lesson pork bellies start dropping in price. Don Ameches character panics and starts to sell his shares... but Billy Ray tells him it would be a mistake, but to wait and "to weed out the suckers", and sets a much lower price. In doing so.. he save s the Dukes a huge amount of money. With the Dukes telling their clients "Mr. Valentine set the price"

Now when the Skins were discussing how much to offer Smoot, Coach Williams and his staff told the FO that they felt Smoot was good but not irreplaceable to the defense. He had confidence that if Smoot left, he could be replaced with Harris and others at CB. Let the suckers overpay!

So basically... "Mr. Williams set the price."

and considering his experience and coaching abilities... if he is confident we will be fine in the secondary without Smoot... I trust him.

Originally posted by bubba9497

So basically... "Mr. Williams set the price."

and considering his experience and coaching abilities... if he is confident we will be fine in the secondary without Smoot... I trust him.

Thank you bubba, glad to see someone agrees with me. Look what happened when we had bad coaching and went on these spending sprees in the offseason...we went no where in the regular season... now we finally have some good coaches...they will make this work guys...quit being so disappointed and just have some darn faith in the team...

I was hoping you'd explain the FCOJ scene at the NYSE near the end of the movie. That was what I really didn't get... ;)

Oh, yeah... and Smoot ultimately is replaceable. The fact that he didn't get his desired $14M up-front proves the whole league knows that.

Nick

I equate Smoot in the recent months to a decent Tech Stock during the late 1990s--everyone's "irrational exhuberance" about his value falsely inflated his salary desires. After the bottom falls out of the market (say about mid-season next year), people will realize what he's actually worth: a decent salary but not Top-5 money (like a share of Dell).

That's right! Great example Bubba! Our coaches set the price instead of overpaying. I thing they are getting a handle on the salary. And Snyder is learning as well. If we don't see another "Coles" surprise we should be good next year and in 2007.

The money was better spent on a quality OL, much as I'll miss Smoot. Offensive and defensive lines are like pitching in baseball...if they're bad, you're gonna have a bad season.

Greg Williams gave us something none of us expected last year....a very, very good defense.

The Redskin's first pick will tell us if losing Smoot hurt too badly.

Originally posted by TC4

Fred Smoot was a good CB, but JUST a good CB, not a GREAT CB

I dunno why soooooooo many people on this board are reacting to Smoot's leaving as though he is a GREAT CB :whoknows:

I think it yhas to do with all the starters that have left. This just feels like the straw that broke the camel's back. By itself it wouldn't seem like as big a deal.

well...i loved smoot....he had so much emotion....i just find it soooo funny how so many of you are now saying how Smoot is just OKAY after this entire board has blown up all yr about how he gets no respect (how hes one of the best in the nfc easily, shoulda went to the prowbowl,etc.,etc.). I just find it funny, thats all.....Smoot WAS a great player on this defense....lets all just hope that were not eating our words come this season.....though I do agree that someone WILL step up, at least I hope so.....

if he is confident we will be fine in the secondary without Smoot... I trust him.

this, they didn't retain him, so our coaches MUST be confident they will be fine without him is hogwash....

if they were so confident, they wouldn't have gone HARD after smooty like Joe said they did.....at the end of the day, i think Dan and Smooty both let PRIDE get in the way of getting the deal done....

Archived