Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2009 Redskins vs Ravens (FINAL)

NoLeafClover

Which sport will be bigger in the US in 20 years?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which sport will be bigger in the US in 20 years?

• MLS - Major League Soccer
    • NASCAR - National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing
    • NHL - National Hockey League
    • Other (not MLB, NFL, or NBA)

ES Coverage: 2009 Redskins vs Ravens

08/13/09

DSC_0153.JPG

DEFEAT!!!

Ravens 23 - Redskins 0

:helmet:

Hello everyone and welcome. My name is Joel, and I'll be your tour guide for this evening. I'm joined, as always, by the Shawn Michaels of ExtremeSkins coverage - murf. (Yes, that makes JimmiJo the Marty Jannetty in this comparison.)

We're coming to you (semi-) live from Bal'mer, hun, as the Washington Redskins open the 2009 season against the Ravens. It's a beautiful day for football ... especially if you like ****ty weather.

Speaking of Baltimore, we all remember how things played out the last time these two teams met. The Ravens (hun) defeated the Redskins 24-10, Dec. 7, the team’s fourth loss in five games, dropping the 'Skins to a 7-6 record.

This was also the game where tackle Chris Samuels was injured (i.e. - the official end to the 2008 Redskins' offense). With no depth on the offensive line, Justin Geisinger was thrust into action. This was not a good thing - seeing as he hadn’t taken a single rep at tackle in five years. You might remember Ravens standout Terrell Suggs kindly informing Jim Zorn and the coaching staff that Geisinger, much like milk, was a bad choice.

"I actually pointed at Jim Zorn and said, 'You can't do this, you're going to get your quarterback hurt,'" said Suggs, "I was like, 'I don't think this guy is supposed to be here. You've got a mistake.'"

Now, here we are eight months later, and the offensive line is still the big question mark. If you're looking for a bright side, it's that Suggs won't play tonight and Geisinger is a Carolina Panther. So we've got that going for us ... which is nice.

I will now step aside and open this bad boy up for discussion.

5:15 PM - The sun is out now and things are drying out. Let's hope this weather keeps up.

5:28 PM - The Ravens players are kicking around a soccer ball during warm ups. After seeing the 'Skins running backs toss around a baseball during training camp, I'm wondering if either one of these teams has the next Bo Jackson. (Shaun Suisham, perhaps?)

5:41 PM - Going to experience my first press box meal.

5:42 PM - Food looks so-so, but just walked past Sonny Jurgensen in the cafeteria. I'm just going to come right out and say this - during my first two weeks, I've interviewed a handful of Redskins players without a second thought. But I nearly dropped my mediocre dinner simply walking past the Hall of Famer. Sonny FREAKIN' Jurgensen!

5:43 PM - Who can eat at a time like this? ... okay, back to work.

6:06 PM - Half the team is on the field in the NFL equivalent of your high school gym uniform.

6:07 PM - The Ravens cheerleaders are warming up. They look good, but they would look better in burgundy and gold.

6:07:30 PM - ... the female cheerleaders, that is.

6:09 PM - Sitting in front of Matt Terl, which is great. I just worry I might miss stuff during the game if he's signing autographs the entire night.

6:13 PM - JimmiJo finally graces the press box with his presence ... long enough to drop off his bag and get dinner.

6:25 PM - Our dreams come true.

6:32 PM - First sighting of the Flacco jersey-purple cammies combo. Certainly not the last.

6:35 PM - "The U" reunion: Ed Reed, in uniform, chats with Portis and Moss, still in shorts, at midfield.

6:43 PM - Sadly, still waiting for my first Kyle Boller jerseys sighting.

6:44 PM - Redskins special teamers hit the field to a smattering of applause.

6:49 PM - The hand soap in the restroom is actually purple. Someone over at FedEx Field better put in an order for burgundy hand sanitizer ASAP.

6:52 PM - Just spotted woman in crowd with a shirt featuring Calvin urinating on the Redskins logo. Somewhere, Bill Watterson weeps.

TONIGHT'S SCRATCHES

Redskins:

Carlos Rogers

Clinton Portis

Anthony Alridge

Reuben Riley

Jeremy Bridges

Randy Thomas

Santana Moss

Albert Haynesworth

Ravens:

Biren Ealy

Samari Rolle

Brendon Ayanbadejo

Terrell Suggs

Jared Gaither

Marshal Yanda

Mark Clayton

Lamar Divens

7:17 PM - Ravens marching band hits the field. Getting close now.

7:27 PM - And now, the staring lineup for your Washington Redskins ...

7:36 PM - Are you ready for some (preseason) football?

8:01 PM - Nice shot by Tryon. The D tightens up and holds the Ravens to a field goal in the red zone. 0-3

8:08 PM - They are definitely picking on Tryon.

END OF FIRST QUARTER

0 - 3 - Someone please get Tryon some help out there.

8:20 PM - 14 plays, 71 yards. 37 yard kick from Hauschka. 0 - 6

8:21 PM - Lorenzo Alexander out with an ab strain; his return is questionable. Todd Collins checks in at quarterback. Jason Campbell ends his day 3/6 for 38 yards.

8:28 PM - Nice hit, but Kareem Moore shakes himself up on the play.

8:41 PM - Not Redskins related, but worth noting - Michael Vick has signed a two-year deal with the Eagles.

HALFTIME

0 - 13

Things I don't like so far: The first team offense. Justin Tryon and Kevin Barnes looking like the young bucks they are. Fred Davis fumbling. Twice. Dominique Dorsey doings his Randle El impression on punt returns. Willis McGahee remembering what it's like to be a good running back. Kelly Washington making catches against us instead of for us. Marques Hagans dropping two passes.

Things I do like: Malcolm Kelly reaching up and plucking a beautiful catch out of the air. Brian Orakpo getting pressure on the quarterback, looking like a veteran out on the field. DeAngelo Hall getting it done.

Total Yards: Ravens 258, Redskins 132

Rushing Yards: Ravens 51, Redskins 24

9:26 PM - 11 plays, 69 yards. 39 yard field goal. 0 - 16

9:32 PM - The pride of Hawaii checks into the game. First play, 21 yard completion. Name him the starter now.

9:33 PM - Reclaimed computer from JimmiJo. My apologies.

9:34 PM - Todd Collins numbers for today - 8/11 for 70 yards.

9:39 PM - Mike Williams is out for the game with an abdominal strain. Cody Glenn is questionable with a rib injury.

9:46 PM - The Pineapple Express throws a pass intended for Marques Hagans, picked off by Derrick Martin. Murf immediately asks, "Does he owe him a hundred bucks too?"

END OF THIRD QUARTER

0 - 16

9:59 PM - Hagans fair catches at the 7. Hey, at least he caught it.

10:06 PM - Heads up play by Jarmon batting a ball at the line. That's one more pass defended than Tryon. Doug Dutch injured his hamstring and his return is questionable.

10:08 PM - Jarmon making some noise again. Normally when the Redskins give up future draft picks, I die a little inside. For some reason, this time I'm okay with it.

10:18 PM - Safety Michael Grant, already out of position, gets greedy and goes for the pick instead of defending the pass, resulting in a 64 yard reception. Next play, Ravens score. 0-23

10:27 PM - Scott Burley is out with a left knee strain.

10:31 PM - Baltimore offense gets the good sportsmanship award after calling something like 10 straight running plays up the middle. Unfortunately, the Redskins defense looks stunned every time and the Ravens continue to move the ball down the field.

10:32 PM - Two minute warning. Seriously, the Ravens aren't trying to run up the score. The 'Skins just can't stop them.

10:34 PM - Heading down to locker room now.

PHOTOS

3818720645_a4b8485880.jpg

To see a slideshow of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

To see the complete set of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Kevin Barnes click HERE

To listen to comments from "The Pineapple Express" Colt Brennan click HERE

To listen to comments from Andre Carter click HERE

To listen to comments from Cody Glenn click HERE

To listen to comments from Kedric Golston click HERE

To listen to comments from Chris "The Predator" Horton click HERE

To listen to comments from Jeremy Jarmon click HERE

To listen to comments from Malcolm Kelly click HERE

To listen to comments from LaRon Landry click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

To listen to comments from Team MVP Hunter "The Punter" Smith click HERE

To listen to comments from Devin Thomas click HERE

TWITTER UPDATES

Live from Bal'mer, hun:

http://twitpic.com/drowr

From Matt Terl, to ExtremeSkins ... with love:

http://twitpic.com/ds2nn

THE NEW GUY'S TAKE

Any way you spin it, it’s tough to stomach a loss like this.

You look for minor victories, like the fact that the starting (and second-team) offensive line didn’t give up a sack. Or the fact that in his first game, while being routinely double teamed (which shows the level of respect he’ll command as a pro) Brian Orakpo looked good. Or the fact that Malcolm Kelly showed that, when healthy, he really can catch anything thrown his way. Or the fact that Hunter the Punter was in midseason form and we’re only in week one of the preseason.

Sure, the Ravens racked up an astounding 500 yards of total offense, but Hunter “The Punter” Smith’s nine punts totaled 407 yards. 500 to 407 doesn’t sound all that bad, which is why Smith is our choice for tonight’s MVP. In fact, during our postgame interview with him, coach Jim Zorn sought out Smith to show the newbie some love (with a heartfelt fist bump). It’s not a Hip Hip Hooray, but it’ll have to do for tonight.

It’s better to focus on the positives rather than to dwell on the negatives (you guys will get plenty of that – when Reffkin covers games), but obviously there are some concerns that need to be addressed. Fred Davis needs to work on holding on to the ball. Marques Hagans needs to work on holding onto the ball. And Justin Tryon needs to work on not continually appearing on the wrong end of the night’s highlight reel. (On the bright side, he did rack up five tackles.) Tomorrow will be a great day if, after practice, Davis and Hagans play catch while Tryon defends them.

Of course, the overwhelming negative is the offense, or lack thereof. The team had a total of 12 drives tonight totaling 196 yards. Nine drives ended with a punt, one ended with a fumble, one ended with an interception and the other drive consisted of fielding a squib kick with five seconds left in the first half. To say the offense was unproductive would be a vast understatement.

After watching the good guys get shutout, we headed down to the locker room.

For the uninitiated, walking into a locker room for the first time is a bit overwhelming. It’s chaotic and crowded and all of the reporters are clamoring for interviews. On top of that, attempting to interview players after a tough loss only makes things more difficult.

Battling all of that, I attempted to keep things fairly simple with my postgame interviews. I tried to stick to the basics, but the one thing I learned tonight is that all athletes can answer any question with the following phrase: “I’ve got to look at the film.” You can bet, the next time I do a postgame interview, my first question will start with “I know you’ve got to look at the film, but …”

And perhaps the best locker room perspective came from Andre Carter, who told us the good thing about preseason games is that ultimately they’re meaningless. I mean, seriously. It sucks now, but the team has more than enough time to look at the film (see what I did there?) and correct their mistakes. Let’s not rush to judgment – otherwise we’d have nothing to do next week.

Theyre probably afraid for him to get hurt.. Same reason as everyone else.. There must be someone playing behind Carlos that they want to see alot out of.

edit: no game chat?

Maybe Tryon? All reports are saying he has improved a lot since last year, maybe they want to see him in some live action

Archived