Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any youth coaches into the Single Wing offense?

Die Hard

I run the Single-Wing with Cisar's playbook in 70lb. division.

I ran the Sainted 6 previously..... and installed the Spinner series. We never really did well with the 31-Trap play.... which sucks because you NEED to attack weakside when defense over-adjust. I don't like the 47 Sweep.... because I'm not a believer in running plays without a lead blocker. Urban Meyer agrees with me :)

I did install the Buck Lateral series.... and although I LOVE the series on paper... we never really got much out of it when I called it in a game.

I did install the Jet series.... but never got around to it.

Honestly, I never understood the Mouse (half-spin/T-series) footwork.... until I ordered Sean Orr's videos. I'll be putting it in first thing when practices resume in 3 weeks :)

We're going to destroy defenses this year! :)

Our local leagues start tackle at 7.

Depending on how many younger players there are and the quality of coaching, getting anything resembling a line of scrimmage at that age can be tough. :)

There may be a few false starts.:)

If you're not sure there's always the option of tackle in the Fall and flag in the Spring too.

If so, let me know. I have most of all the Single Wing materials -- even the hard to get stuff :)

However, there are 8 Single Wings Conclave DVDs that I'd like to own... that are out of the budget. However, if I can get some coaches that would be interested in purchasing them and pooling our resources... I'd like to know.

I've got a stacked roster this year.... and I'm running the Single Wing. Don't want to leave any stone unturned :)

What age group? Just run Dave Cisar's stuff. I had a stacked roster the year we ran his offense and the results were predictable. I'll have to put a picture in my sig... 2007 Redskins.

I have Cisar's stuff (all of it :) I coach 8-11 year olds.

I incorporated his stuff in 2007 for the 1st time -- and the last time I was an OC. We didn't have a particularly strong team.... but we played over our heads. 6-team division.... we came in 3rd (5-3). We absolutely destroyed the 4th, 5th and 6th place teams. We were competitive and statistically did well against the 1st and 2nd place teams.... but we couldn't beat them.

I changed parks this year -- team went to the championship last 2 seasons winning 2 seasons ago... upset last year. Team is returning 23 kids out of 36. We're overloaded with runningbacks... I have 4 game-breaking backs at my disposal and 2 backups that would start on every other team. So our offense should be absurd this year.

But I'm not a coach who wants to win because he only has good athletes. Now is a good time to implement some new stuff to see how players/coaches respond.

I'm installing Sean Orr's T-Series (ie. Mouse) .... 1/2 spin... to have more plays to the weakside AND still have deception.

And I'm going to install the Seam Buck plays to have a wider range of plays to attack the middle of the defense.

No Mesh or Jet series.... MAYBE the Beast series in the playoffs.

And I've got 2 kids who can throw.... 1 lefty and 1 righty. And a few kids that can catch reliably. So I have a lot of options.

Excited about this year.

But I hear the conclave videos are the best resource of any. Every coach raves about the presentations and everything they've learned from them. It'd be nice to have 8 years worth of the best minds and presentations.... on DVD. For about $350.... if we split it... we'll be laughing :)

But I hear the conclave videos are the best resource of any. Every coach raves about the presentations and everything they've learned from them. It'd be nice to have 8 years worth of the best minds and presentations.... on DVD. For about $350.... if we split it... we'll be laughing :)

I'd love to help you out but I'm not single winging it any more. In fact, as of right now I'm not head coaching this season... a decision I regret so hopefully one of the teams will open up between now and the start of the season.

The Mouse stuff is easy to install out of Cisar's base. We just called it "Twister" instead of spinner and you have a whole new series in a week. Seam buck we didn't have as much success with and stopped running it... never really needed it in the first place.

What's the best age to switch your kid from flag to tackle?

My son just turned 6 last month. He's 4'3" and weighs 68 lbs. Solid but not at all overweight, he's pretty fast and has a second gear. He sometimes tackles on accident, or bowls over kids when he's running with the ball. Left handed when he writes, but prefers to throw right handed.

That's a parenting decision and there is no perfect answer. We offer tackle starting at 6 and have a great program for that age. I know kids who have never played any type of tackle football until high school that earned college scholarships.

My son just turned 6 last month. He's 4'3" and weighs 68 lbs. Solid but not at all overweight, he's pretty fast and has a second gear. He sometimes tackles on accident, or bowls over kids when he's running with the ball. Left handed when he writes, but prefers to throw right handed.

Like SkinsPR said, its a parents decision. Although I will say I don't like it when parents are like "Well he turns 5 a month after the season starts...". IMHO 4 is way too young. Last year was my son's first year and he was 7. Since it was his first year and he weighed 50lbs soaking wet he got to play with mostly 5-6 year olds. It really helped his confidence.

EDIT: at 68 lbs he may be limited to playing lineman in some leagues.

Personally, I could care less about weight/height. Always about athleticism and mental development. Particularly the latter.

I've had mature 8 year olds and mentally immature 11-year olds. Every kid is different.... but it would be evident to a coach in short order if your kid is ready.

Ask a few coaches around to take a look at him and tell you what they think. Pick some of the more reputable coaches :) And listen to them... even if they tell you something you don't want to hear (ie. he's not ready) :)

I ran the Sainted 6 previously..... and installed the Spinner series. We never really did well with the 31-Trap play.... which sucks because you NEED to attack weakside when defense over-adjust. I don't like the 47 Sweep.... because I'm not a believer in running plays without a lead blocker. Urban Meyer agrees with me :)

I did install the Buck Lateral series.... and although I LOVE the series on paper... we never really got much out of it when I called it in a game.

I did install the Jet series.... but never got around to it.

Honestly, I never understood the Mouse (half-spin/T-series) footwork.... until I ordered Sean Orr's videos. I'll be putting it in first thing when practices resume in 3 weeks :)

We're going to destroy defenses this year! :)

Good luck!

I plan on using the Sainted Six with the Nasty, War and Tunnel. I used some of it last year with 5-6 year olds. They couldn't quite grasp the Wedge, but they still were able to pull lineman and run 16 Power and 18 Sweep really well.

I also actually ran a variation on a 47 Sweep. I felt the same way as you about lead blocking. I hate not having it. I taught those little guys to do motion and shifted the BB and the FB out to the left and the Wing moved into the FB position. It confused the defense and a lot of times pulled them offsides when the FB yelled "SHIFT!" during the cadence. I scored almost everytime that I ran it. :)

I helped my father coach Parks & Rec Football one season a few years ago, while i was still a player.

What is hard at those ages is getting any kind of passing game going at all. Most of the time the kids dont have the arm to be able to incorporate a passing attack, and that really bothered me.

(I like to think of myself as an O-coordinator who would have a 70/30 pass vs. run ration)

So it didnt really interest me as much as I'd hoped.

But good luck to your offense, i hope that you have the personnel to run it effectively

I helped my father coach Parks & Rec Football one season a few years ago, while i was still a player.

What is hard at those ages is getting any kind of passing game going at all. Most of the time the kids dont have the arm to be able to incorporate a passing attack, and that really bothered me.

(I like to think of myself as an O-coordinator who would have a 70/30 pass vs. run ration)

So it didnt really interest me as much as I'd hoped.

But good luck to your offense, i hope that you have the personnel to run it effectively

This year is the best personnel I've ever had.... with the most of it. So it's going to be fun.

And with youth football.... the pass is a VERY LOW percentage play. You have to have a QB with an arm.. you have to have a QB with accuracy... you have to have a QB that is smart and mature (won't buckle with a blitz). You have to have a kid that can catch consistently.... and that same kid has to be able to run a route. And you have to have 5-7 offensive linemen that can pass protect.... which is very unlikely.

In my experience.... the teams that pass more than 2-3x a game typically get destroyed. Sure, they may complete 1-2 bombs in a game... but the final score is lopsided.

Good luck!

I plan on using the Sainted Six with the Nasty, War and Tunnel. I used some of it last year with 5-6 year olds. They couldn't quite grasp the Wedge, but they still were able to pull lineman and run 16 Power and 18 Sweep really well.

I also actually ran a variation on a 47 Sweep. I felt the same way as you about lead blocking. I hate not having it. I taught those little guys to do motion and shifted the BB and the FB out to the left and the Wing moved into the FB position. It confused the defense and a lot of times pulled them offsides when the FB yelled "SHIFT!" during the cadence. I scored almost everytime that I ran it. :)

You implemented the "switch" -- BB/FB/WB to the weakside. I may do that as well... I've heard coaches having some success with that... but it's such a dead giveaway key :) But if it works...

I never did implement that "Nasty" and "Tunnel" adjustments. I'd like to... maybe this season. I have an OL coach that might be able to do it.

Archived