Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

question: how does the camp fodder get paid

dreamingwolf

in the last couple weeks we have singed like 20 some people and are sure to add many more before training camp. My question is how much do these guys get paid when they are signed to a contract? Are they subject to minimums or is there an anything goes for camp fodder?

Its something Ive always wondered about.

in the last couple weeks we have singed like 20 some people and are sure to add many more before training camp. My question is how much do these guys get paid when they are signed to a contract? Are they subject to minimums or is there an anything goes for camp fodder?

Its something Ive always wondered about.

there are minimum player salaries in the NFL, somewhere like 125 per year is the lowest and close to 1 million over 4 years. also contracts worth in total less than 300,000 do not aply to the cap in years in which the player is paid under 50% of the total contract, basicaly there's a minimum and that sometimes more often than not their contracts do not contribute to the cap

I initally titled this thread the non-53 man roster, and perhaps I should have left it that way. This is not a salary cap question, this is a question on how camp fodder gets paid. That is those guys who are signed over the roster limits to contend for spots on the roster, some of which make it.

I guess I could see of them doing it for free, but theres gotta be some pay involved. so if your familar with how non-final roster players get paid Im curious to know.

Players only get the salary if their on the final squad or injured reserve. Players who make the ps get 50% of the minimum but they do have the opportunity to get signed to someone's regular squad. Camp fodder guys know that they'll be among the first street FAs the team will turn to if needed (since you always have to go light at a position, depth may become a problem when the injury bug bites), get an opportunity to show that their more than camp fodder (many still have the dream if not the skill), know that the experience on a pro-team may add an important bullet to the resume, make contacts in the pro-sports industry, may get a small bonus and there is a small salary paid for TC attendance (I think).

I initally titled this thread the non-53 man roster, and perhaps I should have left it that way. This is not a salary cap question, this is a question on how camp fodder gets paid. That is those guys who are signed over the roster limits to contend for spots on the roster, some of which make it.

I guess I could see of them doing it for free, but theres gotta be some pay involved. so if your familar with how non-final roster players get paid Im curious to know.

Players only get paid their base salary in their contracts if they make the 53 man roster in September.

The eight practice squad players as of 2004, were paid $ 4,350 per week for 17 weeks (includes one bye) during the regular season, which figures out to $ 73,950 a year per player. So eight practice squad players will cost the team $591,600 against the cap.

The Rule of 51 is in effect during the spring and preseason, so only the highest 51 salaries on the team count against the cap.

Prior to making the final roster, EVERYONE is paid the same which is a per diem set by the NFL, which is in effect during the 3 day mini-camps and the entire preseason. During the preseason the team also takes care of the meals and lodging. So basically you don't make any money (unless you get a signing bonus), unless you make the final 53 man roster, but your expenses are covered during mini-camps and preseason.

Players only get paid their base salary in their contracts if they make the 53 man roster in September.

The eight practice squad players as of 2004, were paid $ 4,350 per week for 17 weeks (includes one bye) during the regular season, which figures out to $ 73,950 a year per player. So eight practice squad players will cost the team $591,600 against the cap.

The Rule of 51 is in effect during the spring and preseason, so only the highest 51 salaries on the team count against the cap.

Prior to making the final roster, EVERYONE is paid the same which is a per diem set by the NFL, which is in effect during the 3 day mini-camps and the entire preseason. During the preseason the team also takes care of the meals and lodging. So basically you don't make any money (unless you get a signing bonus), unless you make the final 53 man roster, but your expenses are covered during mini-camps and preseason.

thanks thats some good info.

When you say per diem do you know what that figure is? and when you say "So basically you don't make any money (unless you get a signing bonus), unless you make the final 53 man roster, but your expenses are covered during mini-camps and preseason" do you mean that not making any money is not making the big bucks or no money at all. That bit was a little confusing.

thanks thats some good info.

When you say per diem do you know what that figure is? and when you say "So basically you don't make any money (unless you get a signing bonus), unless you make the final 53 man roster, but your expenses are covered during mini-camps and preseason" do you mean that not making any money is not making the big bucks or no money at all. That bit was a little confusing.

I dont know what the exact per diem is or the amount paid per day or week. Its probably the same for all teams, but I dont know for sure. As for making any money, that depends on how you look at it I guess. If the team pays you an average per diem per day, and you skip lunch or buy a bag of potato chips, I suppose you can skimp and come out ahead a few bucks each day. I imagine its like it was when I was in the Army. We got a paycheck each month based on rank, but we could eat for free in the cafeteria. If you wanted to eat out on the weekend at a nice restaurant, then you paid for it out of your own pocket.

But essentially a player only makes any significan money is if he receives a signing bonus or makes the final roster and gets his contracted salary. Take WR Steven Harris or DT Aki Jones or one of the UDFA's for example. Harris got I believe a small signing bonus because he was a UDFA. Something like $2,000 if memory serves me correct. He then earned his practice squad salary for 17 weeks. He receives 1/17th of this salary each week, as long as he remains on the team. Many of the UDFA's get nothing.

Aki Jones was on the regular roster for 15 games, so he wound up receiving $230,000, which was the minimum salary for rookies in 2005. The other UDFA's that got cut, received nothing for their time and effort, except experience and a chance to make the team.

During preseason though, Aki Jones and Chris Samuels would have received the same amount in per diem.

From the CBA

Section 1. Definition: For purposes of this Article, a “rookie player” is defined as any player who has not completed one season in which a year of Credited Service under the Bert Bell or Pete Rozelle Plan has been earned, and a “veteran player” is defined as any player who has completed one or more seasons in which a year of Credited Service has been earned under such Plan(s).

Section 2. Room and Board: All players will receive room and board during the pre‑season training camp, and housing between training camp and the Tuesday prior to their Club’s first regular season game for those players who have not as yet established residence in the Team city.

Section 3. Rookie Per Diem: During the term of this Agreement, a rookie player will receive “per diem” payments at the rate of $500 per week in the 1993‑94 League Years, $550 per week in the 1995 League Year, $600 per week in the 1996 League Year, $650 per week in the 1997 League Year, $675 per week in the 1998‑99 League Years, $700 per week in the 2000-01 League Years, $725 per week in the 2002-03 League Years, and $750 per week in the 2004 League Year, commencing with the first day of pre-season training camp and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game.

*Extension Agreement 2/25/98

Section 4. Veteran Per Diem: During the term of this Agreement, a veteran player will receive “per diem” payments at the rate of $600 per week in the 1993‑94 League Years, $700 per week in the 1995‑96 League Years, $800 per week in the 1997-99 League Years, $900 per week in the 2000‑03 League Years, and $1,000 per week in the 2004 League Year, commencing with the first day of pre‑season training camp and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game, and an additional $200 per week during the pre‑season, commencing with the Club’s first pre‑season game (exclusive of the Canton Hall of Fame Game and any International Game) and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game.

*Extension Agreement 2/25/98

If they make the team they will be paid 1/17th of the amount listed at the NFLPA site for each game week they are on the roster if they are non-vets. If they have 4 seasons and are on the roster the first week they are guaranteed their entire salary.

Archived