Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I feel the Redskins will be successful in 2005

Chrisbob74

Art well ya got me there. Didnt realize the stats were like that.

Although the efficiency part is more on target for a Gibbs qb.

As far as Barnburners I was referring to no QBs during his era really jump out atcha you know from the league as a whole.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

I think the point was that Gibbs has never had any highly-touted QBs. I think it's a given that he's gotten some very solid (and sometimes spectacular) performances out of the QB position.

Our teams back then never had a Montana, Marino, Cunningham, etc. at QB.

That's probably true and it's true that none of the QBs Gibbs has had ever played all that well without Gibbs around :). I've said from the moment Gibbs returned that Ramsey is probably the most complete physical prospect Gibbs has ever had to work with. Maybe Campbell surpasses him now with the mobility and height.

In any case, we have reason to hope Gibbs can get Ramsey to really explode and perform at a high level. If that occurs, we'll be a very dangerous team.

Originally posted by budski

Art well ya got me there. Didnt realize the stats were like that.

Although the efficiency part is more on target for a Gibbs qb.

As far as Barnburners I was referring to no QBs during his era really jump out atcha you know from the league as a whole.

Understood and your observation as TD expressed it is really a good one. No doubt about that.

As far as the original post of this thread. I cannot really see a weak link overall. Then again I dont scrutinize as much as some people, nor do know as much as about everyone on the roster.

Just big picture thinking.

Originally posted by Art

That's probably true and it's true that none of the QBs Gibbs has had ever played all that well without Gibbs around :). I've said from the moment Gibbs returned that Ramsey is probably the most complete physical prospect Gibbs has ever had to work with. Maybe Campbell surpasses him now with the mobility and height.

In any case, we have reason to hope Gibbs can get Ramsey to really explode and perform at a high level. If that occurs, we'll be a very dangerous team.

No doubt about that!

:cheers:

My biggest problem with the coaching last year is the RE-learning curve they went through. And heres the biggie: It always seemed the Offense players were hesistant on what was being called if they were doing it right, or trying so hard to do it right they were flubbing it up, you know like kids jittery to make sure dad didnt get mad at them theyd screw up it anyways. Till the end of the year and it seemed they settled down.

Do you mean RT ?

I dont think the RTs' had nearly the problems that the C and LG position.

OL-men need time to grow as a cohesive group. Everyone knows that. All of these guys are coming from a Spurrier system which was obviously ineffective, to a new system which is built on playing your position well and trusting the guy on either side of you. Another year under the belt for Samuels, Thomas and even Jansen (He might not have played but I am certain he still watched film and was obviously there for gameday) should mean more success (Hopefully).

Skins and Terps,

The unit as a whole seemed like they had the deer in the headlights look. Too many heads turning towards the sidelines looking for direction or something. Cohesiveness you are right about the O-line I see more improvement from the center out.

Hes the one that makes the blocking assignments right? Rabach

is supposed to be good so I figure the oline will see a big improvement.

I could be proven wrong, but I still say the passing game will be boring again this year and defenses will load up in the box, making the running game boring. I don't see any reason to believe it will be better than last year.

Originally posted by WVSkins79

I could be proven wrong, but I still say the passing game will be boring again this year and defenses will load up in the box, making the running game boring. I don't see any reason to believe it will be better than last year.

You just gotta believe! It's Gibbs...and what else do we have but faith??

:point2sky

And what makes you think that?

With the exception of last year, Gibbs has always had a prolific passing attack

Originally posted by Redsk58417

Good assessment Art. I think the reason Ramsey gets the starting nod is just what you suggest. Ramsey's QB ratings over the final 7 games:

GM 1 61.2

GM 2 63.3

GM 3 139.2

GM 4 69.8

GM 5 103.0

GM 6 62.1

GM 7 100.8

Overall average? 85.6 That is the reason for "Gaurded" optimism. Ramsey was named "Starter," but Campbell was brought in "Just in case!"

Game 1 - Pittsburgh

Game 2 - Philadelphia

Game 3 - Giants

Game 4 - Philadelphia

Game 5 - San Francisco

Game 6 - Dallas

Game 7 - Minnesotta

I disagree. I am not saying it will successful but I believe it will be anything but boring. Far from it, in fact.

On a different subject, I excited to watch that Williams defense play with better field position. We gave up so many above average returns last year that often the D was playing with their backs to the wall. If they have better field position to start with, I think they will scare a lot of people. The flip side of that is that then the offense gets the ball back in good position and does not have to put together 75+ yard drives to score. Everything works together on a Gibbs coached team.

neophyte;

Yes better field position for the defense will only create better opportunities for the offense and defense.

Williams will only exploit the long field for opposing teams.

Get use to the announcers saying "Williams love to blitz in this situation"

the key will be getting the offense to play as a team, like the defense did last year. they were a unit who played witha lot of passion and aggressiveness, with no individual players standing out. only 1 probowler, lavar was out, and for goodness sakes a cornerback led the team in sacks. point being, you never heard no bickering about individual stats. if the offense could play as a team in that manner, be aggressive and distribute the ball evenly, you wont care about any stat other than overall record.

Archived