Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Wars: ROTS Reviews coming in on Rottentomatoes

Eagles_Legendz

Based on what I've seen, they're trying to be topical. Which POs me. Plus, it's such a well-known line now(though it existed before Bush) that to use it in any but the most off-the-wall context or a direct parody or satire is silly.

Why not have Jabba say "Never ask me about my business?"

Originally posted by Renegade7

So, how close are we to getting that Star Wars forum on Extremeskins? :laugh:

Closer then you know.

<waves hand at Henry>

[jedimindtrick]On May 19th we will re-name the "Tailgate" to "The Cantina".[/jedimindtrick]

:)

This may have been posted, but if not:

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/starwars/transcript.asp

Kevin Smith, Simon Pegg, and Edgar Wright give their thoughts on the state of the Star Wars universe.

I think it's a little old, but it's worth checking out. Moreover, if the reviews of ROTS turn out to be correct, reading this interview will remind you of why you loved these movies in the first place, and get you excited for what I hope will be a fitting conclusion to the series.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Based on what I've seen, they're trying to be topical. Which POs me. Plus, it's such a well-known line now(though it existed before Bush) that to use it in any but the most off-the-wall context or a direct parody or satire is silly.

Why not have Jabba say "Never ask me about my business?"

Eh. Some of the reviewers have pointed the line out, but I can't tell if they are just being politically sensitive. Like I said, I'll have to see the movie first. I doubt we'll see anything close to the Rocky IV level of cloying self-rightiousness.

I will say it is kinda scary that a guy making an epic movie series about space battles, robots and laser-swords over the span of almost 30 years throws in a line close to something our President said a few years ago and THAT becomes a sticking point for his critics. If that's the biggest flaw of the movie I'd hope people would be able to overlook it.

Hey, Rocky IV was a classic. Don't even go there.

As for cloying self-righteousness---well yeah, when youre opponent is the embodiment of one of the most tyrannical governments and totalitarian ideologies of all of human history--won't you end up appearing as such?

If anything, it was the lameness of that "if you can change, and I can change, everybody can change." As if an attitude change was the only thing standing between West and the the Communist bloc.

But back to the subject, you know how many people hated the Tarzan yell? When I was a kid, it wasn't as offputting but it was kinda "what?!" I laughed because Tarzan's yell was so culturally ingrained that it wasn't as offputting as it would be later when I could start to make that distinction.

But assuming you're not 6-7 years old...

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Closer then you know.

<waves hand at Henry>

[jedimindtrick]On May 19th we will re-name the "Tailgate" to "The Cantina".[/jedimindtrick]

:)

Originally posted by Henry

On May 19th we will re-name the "Tailgate" to "The Cantina".

:laugh: :laugh: :rotflmao:

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Hey, Rocky IV was a classic. Don't even go there.

As for cloying self-righteousness---well yeah, when youre opponent is the embodiment of one of the most tyrannical governments and totalitarian ideologies of all of human history--won't you end up appearing as such?

If anything, it was the lameness of that "if you can change, and I can change, everybody can change." As if an attitude change was the only thing standing between West and the the Communist bloc.

Ghost ... buddy ...

If you are being serious then ROTS shouldn't bug you at ALL.

Rocky IV was oozing with political statement, from start to finish, and in a movie series about a boxer. It didn't even make an attempt at subtlety. Whether you agreed with the actual politics or not isn't the issue. It's whether the commentary had a place in the movie or series. If you don't like the Rocky example ... how about A Few Good Men or The American President?

In ROTS we're talking about a line or two resembling something our President has said at one time or another during his time in office. That's it. The plot of the movie, the story arc of the series and the characters involved have been known for years ... long before Bush became President. It's possible it was just a coincidence, or simply a passing thought by Lucas during the telling of his tale. Unlike some other movies, I SERIOUSLY doubt this screenplay was written with current events in mind. And as such I can forgive him for what would be a mild-at-worst political jab from his script, if that's what it really is. Though I agree I'd hope he could keep cerrent events out of it entirely.

Well, I'm being half-serious.

I don't really have a problem with Rocky IV using a boxer to deliver the message-why? Because every four years, sport became a political battle. Jesse Owens?? Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling? Miracle on Ice?

(and yeah American President is lame)

Is it a huge deal? No.

But again, I think you're missing my point. It's not about Bush or even POLITICS. It's about being so cavalier with things that jar you out of the STAR WARS 'reality.'

I don't mind resonances, even if I disagree with them. I just don't like lines or moments that jar me out of my enjoyment of a film fantasy. Unless that was the point of it, and I don't think I read much into it with the originals, only more general themes.

Archived