Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why didn't we get Shazor or Brower?

ratbert_rizzo

I mean why didn't they get drafted and do we really need a 2nd FB from the Citadel when we could use another corner like Brower. Unless everyone is sold on Wilds because hes played about 6 NFL games. We have 3 corners now who I would even think about trusting. Brower must be better than Jimoh right. Anyone know how much the Cards and Broncos gave those guys? And why didn't we get that Hawthorne guy, I know he tested for marijuana but seriously I doubt he will do that again. I do like McCune though, thats the definition of a warrior.:wewantd:

Gibbs said it himself, the reason we didnt go after Hawthorne, Swanncutt, or any other D-linemen still available is that they felt those guys did not fit William's system. They felt instead that some guys who may go undrafted fit better, and thats exactly what we are doing now.

Isnt Shazor a safety? Him and Browner, are they any better than Lott, Clark, Prioleau, or Bowen? We have our safety depth. With Rogers, we have our corner depth, the team likes Wilds, and Rufus Brown is doing well in NFL Euro.

Browner is most likely better than Wilds or Rufus Brown. I just can't believe how everyone loves them. Sure Wilds played well especially against Moss but one game doesn't mean its going to translate to next season. We have no depth at CB after the top 3. Our pass rushers are amazingly bad with the possible exception of Chris Clemons but the jury is still out on him and Wilds. 2FB is just goofy and McCune is an absolute monster.

Browner ran a 40 time that some defensive linemen can best.

Unless that time was a result of an injury or a slick practice field I can't see how you can come to the conclusion that Browner with his skill toolbox is going to be able to come into the NFL and be a viable corner.

Well he must have done good in college or nobody would have said he deserved to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder before the combine so what was he doing before that? He was using something in college. I am not saying that he is going to be a pro bowler or anything but Brower is probably good enough to make the team unlike most of the undrafted FA out there.

Browner is most likely better than Wilds or Rufus Brown. I just can't believe how everyone loves them. Sure Wilds played well especially against Moss but one game doesn't mean its going to translate to next season.

On what basis do you suggest that Browner is most likely better than Wilds or Brown? The fact is that Wilds played well against Randy Moss while Browner's never played against Randy Moss. Browner's interesting b/c he's big, but having a 6-3 CB isn't really ideal in our system (unless he has wheels). Our depth at CB is actually quite good (Springs, Harris, Rogers, Wilds, Brown, Jimoe spring to mind immediately); Browner -- with his size and lack of speed -- might actually translate better to S (and he might not be fast enough there), which is not a position of need. As for Swancutt, I can't help but think that the fascination with him is related to his good performance on a nationally televised all-star game. I think our (or anyone's) scouts take a little more into consideration than that. I would have no problem picking these guys up as a 7th or a UFA, but don't feel too bad we didn't.

To be fair since Brower played in Oregon State I didn't see much of him and I think he would have been a better late round flyer than a FB from the Citadel. I don't like our CB depth and from what I saw of Shazor, he will be a bonafide NFL starter in 2-3 years for the Cardinals. I assume he went there because of the opportunity and the fact that Robert Griffith will not last forever there but something must have scared teams off but Shazor must of hade a decent combine because I heard nothing about it. I heard Brower's was terrible but Shazor, thats 2nd to 3rd round quality falling into the Cardinals lap.

Isn't Jimoh's nickname "Toast"

Originally posted by ratbert_rizzo

Browner is most likely better than Wilds or Rufus Brown. I just can't believe how everyone loves them. Sure Wilds played well especially against Moss but one game doesn't mean its going to translate to next season. We have no depth at CB after the top 3. Our pass rushers are amazingly bad with the possible exception of Chris Clemons but the jury is still out on him and Wilds. 2FB is just goofy and McCune is an absolute monster.

I'd say there are three possible levels of play that an UDFA corner can exhibit:

1) Absolutely nothing; a worthless player that gets cut before the first minicamp

2) Flashes of potential, nice athleticism, or a big play here or there in the preseason

3) Sticking to Randy Moss like flies on :pooh:

Which is why Garnell Wilds is so well regarded by many Skins' fans.

And as far as a hard-hitting secondary, Taylor and Bowen have the secondary taken care of!! :security:

Originally posted by skinstzar

I think we already do, Taylor and Bowen bring the wood

I don't know if we have the hardest hitting secondary in the NFL, but its definitely top 5. Receivers definitely have a lot going through their mind if their number is called to go over the middle.

Originally posted by jrockster77

I don't know if we have the hardest hitting secondary in the NFL, but its definitely top 5. Receivers definitely have a lot going through their mind if their number is called to go over the middle.

It is definetly a hard variable to gauge. I think we have some of the biggest hitters at several positions. LA, ST, Washington and Bowen are big timers. I like the prospect of Carlos Rogers joining that group as well. He comes up nicely in run support. Teams are gonna be scurrred next year.

Originally posted by skinstzar

It is definetly a hard variable to gauge. I think we have some of the biggest hitters at several positions. LA, ST, Washington and Bowen are big timers. I like the prospect of Carlos Rogers joining that group as well. He comes up nicely in run support. Teams are gonna be scurrred next year.

I definitely look forward to more highlights like ST's big hit on that Steelers player (#39?). Except I hope he's in a Eagles uniform wearing number 81.

Originally posted by Mufumonk

Throw a guy like Shazor back there with Taylor, and we would have the most intimidating, hardest hitting secondary in the NFL, hands down.

If Shazor could catch anybody to actually hit him.

There is a reason why NOT ONE TEAM decided to spend a draft pick on this guy.

All I know is that we probably don't need 2 more FB. But then again I suppose Gibbs knows what he is doing but the Citadel guy will be a practice squad guy. Shazor will be a nice NFL player, Browner may be decent but his speed could kill him. But they both managed to make plays against top college talent. I know that doesn't always mean anything but.....

Archived