Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Daddy not practicing.

@DCGoldPants

By Joseph White

Associated Press

Monday, June 10, 2002; 7:12 PM

ASHBURN, Va. –– Coach Steve Spurrier didn't mind when Stephen Davis missed Monday morning's Washington Redskins practice because of a personal matter, and it was OK that Darrell Green was gone in the afternoon because of a charity golf tournament.

But Dan Wilkinson's attendance record? That's another matter.

For the past month, Wilkinson has taken the word "voluntary" at face value, having decided to stay away from most of Spurrier's 12 "coaching session" practices. According to union and league rules, players don't have to attend, but most do.

"Dan's the one that's not been coming very regularly," Spurrier said. "That's something new for me, of course. I've never had a guy just obviously not want to practice with his teammates, but we'll handle it."

Wilkinson attended minicamps in March and April and returned Monday for the final minicamp before the Redskins break for vacation. After Thursday, everyone essentially goes on a long break until training camp opens in Carlisle, Pa., on July 23.

It's not unusual for an established veteran to skip spring practices, especially if his starting job is secure. Wilkinson stood out because he was the only healthy player on the Redskins roster than stayed away regularly — and because it's something first-year NFL coach Spurrier isn't used to.

"It's great for some of the guys," Wilkinson said. "But my thinking is, hey, the more I'm on this field now is only taking away from my legs when the real season comes around. That's my theory. Coaches have told me I'm wrong. I tell them I'm right. It's a difference of opinion.

"I've been in this thing long enough. I know exactly what it takes for me to be strong, more importantly in November-December than September. From that standpoint, I'm fine."

Spurrier was unimpressed with that viewpoint.

"I guess we're just running all the other guys into the ground, huh?" Spurrier said. "If the whole team had his attitude we'd be in trouble, wouldn't we? Well, if he can play, we'll find out. ... If he's the best player, he'll play. If he's not, somebody else will play."

Wilkinson has all the leverage in this argument. The Redskins are thin at defensive tackle, so, barring injury, he's virtually guaranteed a starting spot.

Other players wouldn't dare miss a practice. With four quarterbacks battling for three roster spots, there's been no problem getting Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel, Sage Rosenfels and Patrick Ramsey to show up.

Also, both the offensive and defensive schemes are completely new, so there's a lot to learn. Defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis estimates that his players will have taken 1,300 snaps this spring — more than they will get in the entire regular season of games.

"I kept saying that a long time ago in June we would have a football team," Lewis said, "and you guys looked at me like I was crazy. We're ready to play now. They'll get another 230 snaps this week. In training camp, we'll have another 1,000 or so before we play the first preseason game. By the time we get to that point, we'll have played another season."

The spring practices are good for quarterbacks, receivers and defensive backs, whose games rely more on finesse and timing. They are less productive for the linemen because pads aren't allowed.

"It can get frustrating at times," tackle Chris Samuels said. "You've got these defensive linemen pushing real hard, but you can't lower your head, lower your shoulders, because you don't have any pads on."

Some veterans have skipped practices here and there. Cornerback Champ Bailey missed some practices to get married. Bruce Smith can only be a spectator because of knee surgery, so he's stayed home for stretches.

And there are two rookies have missed out almost entirely. Except for the April minicamp, third-round draft pick Rashad Bauman from Oregon and seventh-rounder Jeff Grau from UCLA are not allowed to practice because their schools are still in session.

That's not a big problem for Grau, because he's a long snapper, but cornerback Bauman is so far behind that defensive backs coach George Catalovos is going to give up a week of vacation to help the rookie make up some ground.

I hate it when articles like this are done. It is not a big deal at all and I think all NFL coaches need to shut up about this. Billick complained about Lewis and Boulware, same with the Colts and Edgerrin James. The workouts are voluntary. I think Big Daddy said it best when he said that come time of the season, this will all be forgotten about.

This routine sounds like BubbleButt all over again. He had better not show up in July with a bag of McDonalds in his hand. Glad to see Spurrier isn't Norvaling on this one. He spews acid and these big egoed players are eventually going to get some burns.

Guest Goatroper

It's not like the guy has to compete for a job or anything. Who else could the Skins line up at DT? Fat Daddy just wants to let the new coach know who's boss. He'll mosey in and play when he is durn good and ready.

I love you guys.

Redskins | Big Daddy Practices - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

June 10, 2002 19:45:38 PT Joseph White reports for the AP Washington Redskins DT Dan Wilkinson practiced with the team at Monday's mini-camp. For the past month, Wilkinson has taken the word "voluntary" at face value, having decided to stay away from most of coach Steve Spurrier's 12 "coaching session" practices. "Dan's the one that's not been coming very regularly," Spurrier said. "That's something new for me, of course. I've never had a guy just obviously not want to practice with his teammates, but we'll handle it." Wilkinson feels there is no need for him to be at the voluntary sessions.

this just goes to show what we have thought all along, that Wilkinson's biggest opponent in the NFL is not other players but his own attitude. :rolleyes:

he has the team made based on our failure to bring in any DL in the offseason to play in the interior and because of his contract.

but it is good that Spurrier puts some public heat on him heading into camp.

the last thing we need is somebody in the national media looking at Wilkinson being out of shape in July and blaming Spurrier for being too laid back in May and June.

C'mon, guys, Fat Daddy is right about this one. There's no reason to come hang around at coaching sessions and risk injury running drills. It's not like they're running a whole new defense, right? Huh? Well, at least they're returning the same front 7 he played 16 games with last year... Oh, nevermind. Well, at least there hasn't been any turnover on the staff or the front office... oh, yeah, right... Well, here's the thing, though. Fat Daddy knows that the off-season is for building up your boiler and your caboose, so you have extra reserves to draw from in November and December. He knows that games are won on the field on Sundays, not in June, or in the weight room, or even at the dinner table.

Seriously, though, Wilkinson has been the most consistent and valuable player on the DL for years. He's obviously working hard in the mini-camps, as evidenced by other reports, and he has chosen to stay away from the voluntary camps. Maybe he finds the coaching sessions boring, and rather than sleep-walk through them and give his teammates the wrong idea (about himself, or how to practice), he's decided to stay away, maybe get a little extra rest, maybe work out on his own, and go full-speed during the mini-camps. As far as forgetting about all of this when the season rolls around, Wilkinson can make the coaches forget if he plays like the best DT on the team. But if his performance lags, you bet you @ss Spurrier and Lewis are going to remember his off-season training philosophy, and start looking for alternatives. But Wilkinson does seem to elevate his game slowly but surely as the season goes on, so maybe he does know something.

Don't forget, he's also secure in the knowledge that he is practically un-cuttable.

Not only from the perspective of the personnel available to play DT. His contract has been structured and restructured so many times, I think the team would take about a $25 million cap hit if he was to be let go (not really, but it's a big #).

You just would like to see more leadership out of him...

From an outsiders perspective, it always bothers me to read stuff like this. Do you have any idea what I'd give to be able to make millions of dollars a year to play a sport I love? Heck I don't get paid to play soccer, but just try to drag me off the field. I always cringe and think "so this is where pro sports is going" when I read this stuff. For millions of dollars a season, he can show up for some voluntary stuff to help the team. I know I know. IN his mind he "earns" every penny and he aint earning that money in June. Sad.

gbear - I gotta second you on that post. I was scrolling down readin everybody elses' comments and it seems as though they are all varied in thinking of this philosophy. I swear, as fans we bleed our colors every single day of the year and cannot understand how Fat Daddy can just stay away from being out on the field. Sheet, I'll takes his place if I could just kick back and watch the damn practices!! I personally get visuals in my mind of him siting at home sucking down Big Gulps and throwing back Gilbert Burgers just Chillllllin. Hell he may be working out on his own and keeping fit. I would think that he should be out there on the field if only it is for leadership purposes.

I understand pacing yourself but this makes him look like the typical slacker.

And now I wonder if he is in shape or not?

Which is my concern about Sammie Adams.

It would be great to get a couple of UDFA gems at DT like we did at LB with Pierce last year.

from what I heard last year Adams basically told Lewis he was going to show up on Sundays and play. Their relationship was not that great and that's why I doubt Adams would come here for less money.

If he comes here it will be because the Redskins are offering him more than anyone else, plain and simple. :)

Archived