Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let the freak out begin!

GSF

The #25 does not bother me nearly as much as the #9. In fact, the #9 being who it was at that slot confirmed to me what we would do at #25. The entire day has been one loooooong predictable, boring process. I am sickened at the thought of what we have done this day. I love JG but this is painful. Sometimes you gotta hurt a little bit in any relationship but this is almost disgusting. We draft a player too high out of need, bypassing a top prospect TD machine just so we can grab a QB NO ONE was talking about until the Skins fiasco started the other day. This is so disheartening, I have no words.....

But I'll live. I suspect we all will. Some will be happy, some will be sad. Some will clap until Sundown...Some will scratch their head until it bleeds. Life goes on.

I rarely (if ever) post here, but I honestly am incredibly disappointed with this draft. Although they fulfilled a major need with Carlos Rogers, they still passed on 6'5" 220 pound super-WR Mike Williams for him and then draft a player who probably won't pan out in the NFL anyway (given our history of drafting QBs and what we gave up to reach #25). We could have simply taken Williams at 9 and a CB at 25, or even taken a DE at 25 (Dan Cody?) and found a CB somewhere else. For a team with such a gifted defensive coordinator, we should be filling needs on the other side of the ball where we can't seem to do anything right. I really, really hope that they prove me wrong in several years.

I was happy with the first. I thought the 2nd pick was terrible. We trade away our 2006 pick for Jason Campbell? He most likely won't even play next year, why not get a guy who could help us now.

Skins need to just dump Pat and get it over with, cuz obviously they don't think he can play.

I doubt there will be a controversy. This is Patrick's year to sink or swim. No one can expect Campbell to come in and compete for a starting position.

I'd love it if we get Brunell outta here, promote Hasselbeck to #2 and let Campbell sit and watch this year.

This pick does pretty much mean that Patrick is going to have to have a Drew Brees type year or else he's not going to be around when his contract is up.

Originally posted by terpfan

I don't like this pick at all. We traded a third rounder, and a first and fourth next year for a QB controversy!!!

ARRRRGGH

what controversy? Brunell/Campbell/Hasselbeck aren't going to challenge Ramsey unless Ramsey implodes this year.

What if Ramsey proves to be just okay this year? Gibbs would have to draft a QB then next year. It appears that Gibbs & co. happen to believe that Campbell was just as good, if not better, than Smith and Rodgers. As such, they got great value from their perspective.

I personally believe that the pick disappoints many because it does not address a need for NEXT season.

However, when you think about it, Mark Brunell will likely be around only long enough until it is financially reasonable for us to release him. Thus, he'll likely be around for another two seasons.

In the case of Ramsey, you got another QB who has his rookie contract coming due soon. Therefore, in my opinion, Patrick has a small window of opportunity to prove he IS the right quarterback for Gibbs. If he doesn't show something in his remaining contract time in Washington, then I suppose that a future need has simply been addressed a season or two early than most expected.

From this standpoint, if the club is confident with where it stands in other areas going into next season, then is this such a bad move?

It was Gibbs who didn't give the nod to Ramsey last year. Some will say Ramsey didn't earn it...others will say Gibbs needed to look at what had gone before and give credit where credit was due. Instead, we got the rush to grab a vet and we all know how that little gem of an idea worked out both on the field and monetariliy.

Now we get a good for the future, cover your ass pick in Campbell at what price? Please. This entire day one stinks to high heaven. I have no problem with Rogers. He was my favorite CB in the draft. But at #9? And you bypass Williams? It was done because of the tit for tat necessitated by the Brunell fiasco and the need to grab a QB. If you ask me, JG has completely mishandled the Ramsey situation from day one. I hate to say this but he has. Now maybe there are things about Ramsey that need tidying up. Maybe he needs to be pushed to get to the next level a la Brees. If so, then this is the year to do it. Campbell can always be traded later on but he was a #1 pick who we don't want getting a lot of playing time if your a Ramsey fan. So how much do you then get for mister #1, #3and #4.? Please again.

I am truly disheartened. For the first time since JG's return I am getting a sinking feeling. I hope I'm wrong. We needed just a few quality players to seriously improve. How does a rookie QB fit into that? At that cost? Please a third time.

Originally posted by terpfan

I don't like this pick at all. We traded a third rounder, and a first and fourth next year for a QB controversy!!!

ARRRRGGH

There's no controversy. Either Ramsey gets it done or he doesn't. Coach Gibbs thinks it'll ultimately be the latter.

Nick

Archived