Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Clayton Chat

[[ghost]]

Welcome to The Show! On Friday, former Oklahoma wide receiver and 2005 NFL draft prospect Mark Clayton will stop by to take your questions.

As a junior at Oklahoma, Clayton broke several single-season and career records with 83 receptions for 1,425 yards and 15 touchdowns. He holds the school career records for receptions (221), receiving yards (3,241), touchdown catches (31) and 100-yard games (15).

ESPN NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper projects Clayton being picked No. 22 by the Baltimore Ravens. Kiper on Clayton: ''Arguably the most polished receiver in the draft, Clayton has speed and athleticism that make him one of the most dangerous receivers after the catch to come along in recent years. His presence would help the Ravens overhaul a passing attack that was bolstered with the free-agent signing of Derrick Mason.''

Send your questions now and join Clayton in The Show on Friday at 4 p.m. ET.

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:05 PM ET ) I'm here and ready to go!

Braden (North Shore, HI): Hey Mark! I'm a big Dallas fan and I'm really hoping they pick you on draft day in the first round. How would you rate their interest in you compared to other teams? Have you had a chance to talk to Parcells?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:06 PM ET ) I haven't spoke to Parcells. But I'm a huge Cowboys fan as well. That would be an awesome place to play.

J.D. Bolick (Greenville, NC): If you had to compare yourself to another receiver, who would it be?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:06 PM ET ) Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt. I really like those guys.

OUgot7 IA: Are you going to be sitting at home during the draft or are you going to go on stage when your name is called? BOOMER

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:07 PM ET ) I'll be in Texas, actually.

Lance - Wagoner, OK: How does Coach Stoops and his staff help prepare you guys for the NFL draft after the season is over?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:07 PM ET ) Not really. You are pretty much on your own. The process is pretty much understood. I've talked to lots of guys who have been through the process.

Chris (Middlebury, VT): Who is faster, you or adrian? (i know jason white is faster than both of you so i left him out of the equation)

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:08 PM ET ) LOL! Adrian, probably. I'm not much of a track guy. I run spurts.

Joe (Baltimore, MD): Mark, I'm a big fan! Any truth to the rumor that the Ravens plan to pick you at 22. Their director of Scouting Eric DeCosta said "Mark Clayton is a Raven-type player".

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:09 PM ET ) I had some conversations with them but they didn't show any signs they would pick me. But if they did, that would be great.

Nick (Walnut Creek, CA): Do you feel you are unfairly being pushed down in the draft because of your height? How many corners in the NFL are over 5-10 anyway? Good luck next season!

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:09 PM ET ) Nah. My height isn't much of a factor. Whoever picks me is going to get a great player. I just want the chance to show it.

dantae va beach ,va: hey mark what's going to be your first big purchase?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:10 PM ET ) Probably a condo. A nice little bachelor pad!

John NC: Earlier, Carlos Rogers said that you were the toughest WR he had gone up against. Who has been the toughest DB that you have gone up against?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:11 PM ET ) Carlos was really though. It would be between him and Darrent Williams from Oklahoma State.

Jon(Akron, Ohio): hey mark, there has been talk about mike williams, braylon edwards and troy williamson being the 3 best wr's in this draft. Do you think that you are underrated and what qualities in your game do you think people over look??

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:12 PM ET ) You would have to ask those people! I think they are overlooking my heart and my understanding of the game. I just think I'm one of the smartest players out there.

Matt Caban, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Hey Mark, rock the house for the Sooner Nation. Do you feel you can significantly contribute to a team during your rookie year?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:12 PM ET ) Yes. Definitly.

Marco (México): San Diegos weather apelling Marky, HAVE U TALKED TO THE BOLTS?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:13 PM ET ) I have a conversation with them. They were excited about trying to bring me in. I met with them at the combine as well.

Brad (Ma.): Mark what are your comments on the whole T.O. thing going on right now?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:13 PM ET ) T.O. deserves whatever he wants. He is a grown man and a true gamebreaker.

Jon A. (Willowbrook, IL): Mark, would you be happy in a west coast offense?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:13 PM ET ) That would be exciting. But any offense would be exciting right now. I'm just looking forward to the challenge of the next level.

Mike: Mark, If you were stranded on an island and could bring one CD, one type of food, and one female celebrity with you,, what, and who would they be ?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:15 PM ET ) Whew! I'd take Usher's Confessions, Christina Milian and taco salad!

Eric (Cherry Hill): If you could pick one reciever in the NFL to help you train in the offseason who would you want?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:15 PM ET ) Jerry Rice.

Ryan (Philly): What are you going to miss most about the college game? Beating Texas, playing with Jason White?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:16 PM ET ) Definitely beating Texas. Mostly just the family atmosphere we had around there.

Scott (MI): Can you tell us how good A. Peterson really is? Is he the best you've ever played with? Give us the low down...

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:16 PM ET ) Without a doubt. Since I was at OU, Roy Williams, Adrian Peterson and Tommy Harris were the players that really stood out.

Max (Pittsburgh, PA): Mark, what kind of car do you prefer?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:17 PM ET ) A new Chrysler 300C fully loaded!

Steve (Ohio State): If you didnt play football, what sport would you prefer to be playing?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:18 PM ET ) Baseball. Anywhere in the OF. I also can play short and third.

Justin (Corpus Christi, Tx): hey Mark, GO LONGHORNS!! do you ever play madden? are you going to be excited to use yourself in it?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:19 PM ET ) Oh yeah. Me and Brodney Pool and Jammal were talking about that the other day. I'm a bigtime gamer. I play with a guy named Moses Washington. He's probably one of the top 10 Madden players in the country right now. It gets real intense!

Broken Arrow, OK: What is your most proud accomplishment throughout your football career?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:20 PM ET ) I'm not sure. Probably winning the way we won so consistently over the years.

Scott (EP, MN): Hey Mark, how would you feel having Daunte Culpepper throwing you passes in the NFL, and do you think that if you were drafted by the Vikings, that you could help replace some of the "Randy Moss" in our offense?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:21 PM ET ) I wouldn't try to be Moss. I can only be myself. Nobody can be Randy Moss.

George (Oklahoma ): Any chance you change numbers in the nfl or would you like to stay with #9?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:21 PM ET ) I'll change. 81 would be nice.

Eric (Oklahoma): hahahah i know Moses Washington...Ive never played him in maddden though, but he did kill me in nba live

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:22 PM ET ) LOL I guarantee he would do the same thing in Madden!

Josh Baltimore,MD: What our your goals for your rookie season in the NFl?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:22 PM ET ) Yes, I do. Big goals. I'll share one and that's to just be consistent the whole year.

Matt (St. Paul, Minnesota): Hey Mark be honest, have you ever taken a play off?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:23 PM ET ) Early in my career I took plays off if I knew the ball wasn't coming my way. But I realized you can't do that. There is a safety you have to be entertaining and if you aren't, he will peel off and go the other way.

Sean (Tulsa OK): Mark how did you progress so quikly from somewhat under the radar out of high school to the playmaker you are now?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:24 PM ET ) I don't know the reason. I guess Oklahoma saw something others didn't see. I played QB in high school and had to do a lot of adjusting in college to understand coverages and all my responsibilities.

Patrick (Norman, OK): Boomer Sooner! Mark, what NFL team do you look forward to playing AGAINST most next year?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:25 PM ET ) All of them! Every one. Just to play pro football is such an honor for me.

adam k (St. joseph, MO): I'm a Nebraska fan and I hate you!

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:26 PM ET ) I have nothing but love for the Huskers.

Michael (Warren, OH): Hey Mark, are you so stoked right now you feel like you could throw up? Dude, you are living THE DREAM!!!

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:27 PM ET ) I'm not nervous yet but I will be closer to draft day.

mike (concord,ca): Mark why did USC beat you guys down in the title game?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:27 PM ET ) Because they were just the better team that day. That is what good teams do.

Onder (Norman OK): Mark, i'm sitting in a cubicle working, and you get to play sports and make millions..HELLO!! Could you loan me some 22 inch spinners? I live in norman!

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:28 PM ET ) I would if I could.

Hank (Redondo Beach ,CA): What was your favorite childhood team and sport?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:29 PM ET ) Dallas Cowboys.

Mike (Baltimore): Hey Mark. I know the guys from Miami still hang out after getting drafted. Is there a secret Sooner Mafia as well?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:29 PM ET ) Yeah, we have a little somethin'.

Sandy (norman): Are you going to be at the Red/White game tomorrow? what are your thoughts on this Sooners team?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:30 PM ET ) Yes, I'll be there. I love next year's team. They look good. The lack of experience will hurt them but they look good.

Eric (Denver): What was it like playing with the great Dan Marino?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:30 PM ET ) Wrong Clayton!

Jacob (Houston TX): Alot of the sports writers are saying that the rookie wide recievers arn't going to do anything this year do you think that you could prove them wrong?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:31 PM ET ) I'll prove them wrong by playing well.

Carl (Cedar Rapids): Mark, any preference for offensive system u play in, e.g. West Coast offense, Martz offense, etcetera?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:32 PM ET ) Not really. I just like going downfield.

Alex(Livemore): What will go through your mind when they read your name on draft day?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:32 PM ET ) OH MY GOD! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING! That's what will go through my head.

Michael (Warren, OH): Any desire to play some QB anymore?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:33 PM ET ) Everytime they draw up a reverse or any kind of trick play. I just want to unwind and throw it downfield.

Jon (Philly): Do you ever think we will see a touchdown celebration dance out of you in your career, or is that not your style?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:34 PM ET ) Possible. Very possible.

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:34 PM ET ) I didn't do it much in college but ...

Ben Baltimore : Can you dunk?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:34 PM ET ) Yes.

Joe (Norman): So if you were an EX-QB, why didn't you throw that pass in the 2003 Big 12 champ game? You took off and made that amazing spin move!

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:34 PM ET ) The man wasn't open!

Brian (Norman): Bring back the Icky Shuffle

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:35 PM ET ) That's OK .. I'll pass on that.

Drew (Albuquerque): Hey Mark! Do you pay attention to these Mock Drafts out there?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:35 PM ET ) I don't pay attention them. I've seen them but I don't pay much attention.

Louie (cleveland): Who is your team in madden?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:36 PM ET ) I play match up games.

john (NYC): hey mark any tips for a young Corner on how to cover receivers with your talent

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:36 PM ET ) Move your feet. Keep me in front of you.

George (Spokane): What do you feel will be the biggest challenge for you while making the NFL transition?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:37 PM ET ) Probably the speed of the game. They don't mess up mentally. That makes the game faster.

ricky( Huntigntin,WV/: Have you talked to Dick Vermeil or Al Suanders? have you heard anything about the Chiefs using the 15th pick on you? I that you would be All Pro in our Offense.

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:38 PM ET ) I've heard that. I've heard they really like me but they have some defensive needs so they will probably go that route.

Bryan (Philadelphia): Mark-Im going to make a markclayton.com website, is that ok with you?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:38 PM ET ) Actually I'm getting ready to put up a website after I get drafted.

Justin (Corpus Christi, Tx): who would you least like to be be tackled by?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:39 PM ET ) Roy Williams!

RaiderHank (Redondo Beach ,CA): What do you think about the new contact rules in the NFL> Do you think this might help you a little more than before?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:39 PM ET ) I haven't really looked into it. But after I get a contract and get on the field I"m sure I"ll understand it a little more.

Jeff (Boston, Mass): Mark, have you had any talks with the Patriots?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:40 PM ET ) Yeah, I got to talk to them at the combine.

Brian (Norman): How do you think Jason White will do in the NFL?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:41 PM ET ) I think somebody will pick him up. Don't know where or when, but somebody will give him a chance.

Steve (Pittsburgh): Out of all the nfl coaches you've met, who has been your favorite?

SportsNation Mark Clayton: (4:42 PM ET ) Coach Tice and Coach Fox in Carolina. They could be comedians.

Thanks for the questions! I appreciate all the support as I go through this very unknown process. Keep rooting for me after the draft! Talk to you again soon.

SportsNation Buzzmaster: (4:48 PM ET ) Thanks, Mark! Folks, that's a wrap for today. Been a big week! Thanks to all the NFL draft prospects for dropping by, Willis McGahee, Plaxico Burress, Reuben Droughns, Brendan Haywood, and on and on. Don't miss The Pulse on ESPNEWS on Saturday from 1-4 ET! You can have your voice heard! Also, join us Monday for the second week of our MLB block with Fantasy, Buster Olney, Steve Phillips and Tony Gwynn!

-----------------------------------------

Hah, i especially like the Huskers fan, but i didn't know he liked the Boys.!!!:wewantd: :wewantd: :dallasuck :wewantd: :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :wewantd: :wewantd:

Originally posted by wwninja420

No Cowboys fan for us. He will want to be hit least by Sean Taylor when it's all said and done.

(Can't stand the 'boys, but Sean Taylor couldn't carry Roy Williams's jock.)

Would love to have Mark Clayton on the team. No ego or moneygrubbin' to deal with. No off the field problems. Trains hard. Practices hard. Quick as lightning. No injury history. Great hands. Runs great routes. Nice kid who knows what he's good at and goes out and does it every time. Won't burn you deep too often, but if he gets some open space, see ya.

This guy would be a fan favorite.

Archived