Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs, Cerrato Disagree

galentjm

Originally posted by FS36

Watching Art and Om lead the blind out of the dark is great. It's as if they were Redskins missionaries and people like Tulaneskins are lost sheep.

:D

I should have applied for the pontiff position because this work I and Mark do requires the patience of a Saint :).

It's like the Post is going overboard -- it used to be Redskins.com and that was bad enough. Now they've gone in the completely opposite direction. I long for fair, objective reporting. I mean, if the folks at the Post hate Snyder so much there's more than enough factual stuff they could report to make the organization look bad (this whole off-season, for example).

One of the problems with the Post's reporting is a basic lack of football knowledge, cap understanding and NFL common sense. When I first read the Buchanon & late 2nd rounder for our #9 rumor it didn't add up as a fair trade, therefore unlikely. Many, many folks on this board agreed. The WP wrote of the possibility without questioning the logic first. This is what continues to get them up a creek. If so many of us knew it was a lousy trade why didn't the WP?

Was our #9 ever mentioned by the Raiders in trade talks for Buchanon? Who the he11 knows? No responsible reporter or fan expects the FO to talk about trade discussions while they are in progress. Every negotiation in the history of man started out with an unreasonable offer, just to see if the other side would bite. Gibbs says no compelling offers were made, that's all that matters. Where is the story? The story is that the WP continues to be incompetent.

Talk about an article about nothing. Gibbs is not going to tell the press what he wants to do. The man is borderline paranoid about that kind of stuff. The only reason why he's talking to the press at all is to try to keep the fans from being misinformed.

Also, of course Vinny and Gibbs are going to disagree about things. That's comes with being a part of a team. The important part is that they work together to come up with good solutions. So far they've done pretty well with that IMO. Man is the Post going to feel stupid when Gibbs is hoisting another Lombardy and the Times is in the locker room.

In my view the problem with the entire article to begin with -- not this, but the one that started this storm -- is the Post may not realize this kind of article HURTS the Redskins. In a draft said to be a buyer's market because a number of teams want to move down, even if it is TRUE the Redskins are one of them, reporting it without clear statements and unambiguous attribution hurts the team's chances to receive value for the pick.

The Redskins have to present themselves as uninterested in making any trade down right up until they are on the clock in the hope they can get value for moving down -- if they are interested. The story about Coles being released actually HURT the team's chances to trade him, because every team knows what every other team's media reports and if Coles was going to be released, why would any team trade for him?

I don't think the local media is looking at how their reports may alter the balance of how the Redskins operate enough. It is their job to report news, not to create response points the team has to manage.

Good points GSF & Art. I think that Gibbs was both trying to keep the fans from being misinformed, and protect the value of the #9 pick. I suspect that after the original Post article Gibbs got all kinds of phone calls from GM's thinking that he might be willing to give away the #9. The trade talked about in the Post basically was making him out to be a desperate patsy. It's entirely possible that the Post isn't smart enough to realize the trade theory they wrote about was a very unfair trade. If that's true then they also are probably too dumb to realize the problems that it (and the Coles fiasco) causes the team.

I view this whole story as nothing more then a smoke screen and draft posturing and the WP is in on it. Whether the WP knows what's going on or the Redskins are using the WP without their knowledge is another topic for debate. It's funny to see Gibbs & Co going to such great lengths to hide their true intentions.

Archived