Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coleman.. Ben that is...

Skins57

Redskins | B. Coleman Note - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

18:53 PT: According to the Washington Post, the Washington Redskins have not ruled out re-signing G Ben Coleman. Agent Ralph Cindrich said that Coleman, the Redskins starter at right guard last season when he was healthy, has drawn interest from four or five teams. "It's not an exclusion, but nothing is about to happen with them right now," Cindrich said.

I would be happy to see him come back at a decent price

Don't you love agents. Redskins say that they may still have interest in him, the immediate response as reported in the article is, there are five or six teams interested in him. Where have they been? If they are interested, it certainly has not been enough to tempt him or at least sign him. It seems every player you hear about who has been unsigned for months has 4 or five teams they're actively talking with.:rolleyes:

Truth is, Coleman was a solid player for us last year and his arrival coincided with slightly better play. It was either him or the decision to utilize Davis more at the same time. On the other hand, there were times the middle of the line provided very little protection in the passing game and Davis never really broke through to get the long runs he has had in the past couple of years. So while I think that Coleman may be okay, I would not mind upgrading or at least changing in the hopes that someone younger may turn out to be an upgrade. Especially, if one adds in the additional problem of his knees, knees that were bad throughout as I recall. Sheesh, I remember when that inspired loyalty in me. Free agency rots. Remember when Grim and Jacoby used to hobble in week in and week out, still dominate, and the fact that they played through it made them reverential. Then again, I probably admired them based on many years play versus a single year playing through injury.

Wouldn't it be great if we could bring back Coleman, sign Ray Brown at the vet minimum, and sign Adams after a couple weeks go by and he realizes no one thinks he's worth a huge signing bonus. I know it's wishful thinking, but I think that would give us an A+ offseason.

Picking up another DL and a OG would make for a nice offseason. I don't know about an A+ offseason, though, as our draft was a little puzzling, and I don't like the way we addressed our QB situation. But we would have some pretty nice lines and a fantastic, very solid defense.

I beg to differ on the continuity as Coleman would be playing LG, not RG as he did last year. That means that the entire interior line is either new or in a different position.

However, I liked Coleman. He's tough and physical, and he clearly was the difference along the o-line last year. Think about it, his presence turned a team that couldn't pass and couldn't run into one of the best power running teams in the league despite the fact that we still didn't have a passing offense to speak of.

However, as this is still sort of a feeling out year for Spurrier IMHO, I'd rather use it as an opportunity to see our young prospects in action, unless of course we already know that none of them are starting material this year.

I think bring Ben back on a one year vet minimum deal would be a good idea. The guy started for us and played well last year. There is still some level of comfort with him because both Jon and Chris are aware of his abilities. Sign him and try to still get Adams. If we don't get Adams, throw a little more at Marco then just minimum to get him back and then move Wynn to the inside.

Archived