Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Cooley vs. Bryan Johnson

seanskins

Last night I was reading some info on extreme and a thought popped into my head. Bryan Johnson (now with the Bears) was as far as I can remember a solid young player at FB. Now, I am young and dont remember much of the old Gibbs coached teams but how do you old timers ;) feel about Bryan as an H Back. Do you feel he would be as good as our current H Back (Cooley)? Had we kept him around would he have been productive in this role? I am just curious what we let go, and had we kept him, how good he would have been. I love Cooley, but maybe we could have kept our second round pick. Just trying to stimulate some interesting football discussion before the draft.

Cooley is more of a true H-back while Johnson is more in the mold of Sellers, a blocking H-back.

Actually Johnson had pretty good hands and was a better blocker than Cooley is. Gibbs was extremely pissed when we couldn't match the offer Johnson got. Can't really tell who would have been the better player. But Johnson would have helped our running game more.

Gibbs invisioned him as our H-back.

Originally posted by VaSkinsNut

Actually Johnson had pretty good hands and was a better blocker than Cooley is. Gibbs was extremely pissed when we couldn't match the offer Johnson got. Can't really tell who would have been the better player. But Johnson would have helped our running game more.

Thats how I felt. Johnson appeared to be a faster than average fullback with good hands. I think he would have been very succesful under Gibbs.

Actually Johnson had pretty good hands and was a better blocker than Cooley is.

Thats pretty much what I said.

That well maybe true but id take Cooley 10 out of 10 times over Bryan Johnson as our starting H-Back.

Bryan Johnson was a good pick up for my Bears last year. I've spoken with several Skins fans that didn't like to see him go, but agreed that he would be great for our team. I don't know how he played for you guys, but I thought he was average as far as a blocker/runner but great in terms of catching passes out of the backfield. It's tough to judge him because he played much of last season injured, and even ended up on IR.

It is comparing apples to oranges, but as far as a Joe Gibbs offense is concerned, Cooley is the more valuable player. That's my guess as to why the Skins didn't mind trading him. It was a win-win for both teams. Gibbs on the other hand....I didn't know he wanted Johnson, but would this topic even be discussed if Johnson was never traded?

And you know Gibbs how?

Blondie

I have only seen the subject of the post and have no idea what anybody else has posted, and had to say

NO COMPARISON

I liked Johnson a lot, and was sad that we had to trade him, but damn it if Cooley wasn't a major bright spot last year. And a rookie, to boot.

Johnson played hard and could be counted on not to make bonehead plays, but Cooley could be a true possession receiver in this league. I love him and can't wait to see what he can do with a year under his belt.

Okay, now I'll read the rest of the post.

Originally posted by GoDannyBoy

Skins should have tendered him with a higher tender offer. Then he may not have needed to be traded after all.

I think I remember Gibbs saying at the time that they couldn't have afforded to keep him, really. Plus, I'm not sure that he would have netted a draft pick. Did we draft him?

had no one gone after Johnson and he was still here, I think he would have been used in the same ways we are now using Sellers - blocking and wedge buster on special teams, so we might have still drafted Cooley.

All in all Johnson is the starter in a system that uses a fullback, so it's probably better for him.

Good question....I think Johnson would have made a pretty good HB. I thought he was a little soft to ever be a really good FB but he could catch and he was a little athletic. These are some of the same qualities that makes Cooley so good. But unless the bears decide to send him back to us and Cooley gets injured, the extremeskins world will never know.

Originally posted by Blondie

And you know Gibbs how?

Blondie

I've read articles where he flat out said he wanted Johnson to be his h-back.

While I love Cooley on our team, if we did manage to keep Bryan Johnson we'd have a second round pick this year. Considering Cooley is probably the best pass catcher we've had here since Ellard maybe it was better Johnson got away.

But a second round pick would be nice this year. Imagine Matt Jones as an H-back with our second rounder. Sub 4.4 speed, great size, hell think of the possabilites with option plays. Sick huh?

Now isn't that a can of worms?

We did match the offer from the Vikes, then traded him to Chicago.

Nick

Archived