Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here's the list: Why you should forget everyone else and chant "Draft Matt Jones"

higgybaby

excerpts from Chris Mortenson ESPN article, along with some of my opinions.

1) He just may be the Very Best WR in this Draft. Before you roll your

eyes and laugh, Read this Quote:

His hands? I think he has the best hands in the draft. He's a basketball player, gifted enough after his junior football season at Arkansas to earn a starting spot on the basketball team within two weeks of his late arrival.

"We charted every pass thrown to him during the Senior Bowl week, and [he] caught all but one," one personnel director said.

So, as a receiver, he's bigger than Southern California's Mike Williams, he's faster, he's more explosive and he might have better hands.

2) As far as anyone knows, there's never been a 6-6 guy or a 242-pounder who ran 4.37 in the 40. Jones is both 6-6 and 242 pounds. Jones is a freak. Let's just remind you of his measurables again, as now officially recorded from his scouting combine and pro day workouts.

Height: 6-6¼

Weight: 242

40 time (hand-timed): 4.37 and 4.39

40 time (electronic): 4.40

Vertical jump: 39.5 inches

Standing broad jump: 10 feet, 9 inches

3) He is more than a "Freak", He is very productive. And all the coaches seem to love him. LSU coach Nick Saban said, "Matt Jones single-handedly won more games than any player in the SEC."

For the past four years, SEC coaches and defenders have marveled at Jones' freakish ability to make plays – his 2,545 rushing yards set an SEC career mark for quarterbacks.

South Carolina coach Lou Holtz called Jones the "MVP" of the SEC

Zook added, "Here's the thing about Matt Jones that people seem to forget because he is such a freak. He is one of the most productive players I've ever seen. It's all about productivity, and the bottom line is, this guy always makes plays and he makes' em when it counts and he makes 'em against everybody else's best players. He's a winner, he's productive and he's a freak. Our guys at Florida will tell you they never saw anything like him before and probably never will again."

4) another note about production He is a Redzone Warrior The red zone, whether you put the ball in Jones' hands as a receiver or a quarterback, would seem to be one obvious frontier.

Arkansas led the SEC in red zone scoring with 87.5 percent efficiency in 2004, and most of those scores were touchdowns.

College overtimes are basically red zone games. The ball is given to each team at the opponents' 25.

"I just know this," Nutt said. "You put the ball [in] the kid's hands in those situations and he's going to find a way to win the game at any level. Red zone, or whatever. On any given play, he can run or pass for 80 yards."

5) Concerning the "Workout Warriar" worries(try saying that 10 time fast):

Some have warned of "workout" warriors, citing Mike Mamula of Boston College as one who fooled everyone about his NFL potential with gaudy workout numbers.

Mamula is a bad example to bring up when talking about Jones, though. For one, I would hardly classify Jones as a workout warrior. He could get out of bed and run 4.4.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

He shouldn't go before the third round. I love how armchair NFL GMs read one biased Mortensen article and watch his one handed catch in Senior Bowl PRACTICE and proclaim him to be a future star in the NFL.

He has BUST written all over him.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Westbrook is right. The kid may be good, but he has never player WR before. No one really knows what kind of routes he runs, whether he can take on jams effectively, or any of the important things you have to know about a WR prospect. He will go to a team that is willing to take a chance on numbers. I hope we aren't that team. Unfortunately for Westbrook, I am hearing his team might be.

So I'm going to be a bust in the NFL? :doh: :laugh:

Wow, do I really have to spell it out for you? You criticize armchair GM's yet you say he has "BUST" written all over him. I'm sorry and you would know this how? Oh that's right, you don't.

So I'm going to be a bust in the NFL? :doh: :laugh:

Whoooooooooooooooosh.

Past him on both lanes on that one. ;)

Criticized and became that which he did all in the same response. Have to hate it when that happens.

He shouldn't go before the third round. I love how armchair NFL GMs read one biased Mortensen article and watch his one handed catch in Senior Bowl PRACTICE and proclaim him to be a future star in the NFL.

He has BUST written all over him.

:nono: many here have been on the Matt Jones bandwagon for sometime now. Long before Mort and the combine.

if you choose to ignore his physical gifts.... so be it... I hope he falls to the Skins in the third.

Based off of his PLAY and before the hype and the combine, Matt Jones was projected as a 5th-6th rounder. This is after everyone watched all of his games in college.

Now, after some jaw dropping Combine numbers, he's probably going to go in the first round by some desperate organization. I predict Minnesota but what do I know? Seems like Tices kinda decision.

I've watched film of him and I just don't see the wiggle in his hips that all the great NFL WRs have. Sure, he is great in a straight line but what ProBowl caliber WR just runs fly routes.

I have a hard time believing so many people can be worked into a frenzy over a clearly biased Mortensen report where he said ridiculous things like he has the best hands in the draft. Just let that set in for a minute. Mort says the guy has the best hands in the draft. :doh:

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Whoooooooooooooooosh.

Past him on both lanes on that one. ;)

Criticized and became that which he did all in the same response. Have to hate it when that happens.

Actually, not really. I was targetting a certain segment of ARM CHAIR GMS who have never really watched Jones but are jerking off after reading all these internet reports and watching a one handed catch. I wasn't what I was calling out so I wondered if he thought I didn't have a chance in the NFL. :cool:

he's probably going to go in the first round by some desperate organization.

I'm getting a psychic flashback. All the way back to the year 1995 in the year of our Lord. It's the 7th pick in the NFL draft. The Philadelphia Eagles select Mike Mamula, defensive end, Boston College.

We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled program.

If we trade down and pick up a late 2nd rounder somehow, I wouldn't mind taking him with a 2nd round choice. If he happens to fall to our pick in the 3rd, I'd be pissed if we didn't draft him at that point.

IMO, this guy will be a very solid WR... and early in his career. It took Drew Bennett 3 years to make an impact coming from a similar type situation... I think Jones will be a 1000 yard contributor by his 2nd season, and will be better than Bennett.

Actually, not really. I was targetting a certain segment of ARM CHAIR GMS who have never really watched Jones but are jerking off after reading all these internet reports and watching a one handed catch. I wasn't what I was calling out so I wondered if he thought I didn't have a chance in the NFL. :cool:

No. It passed you right by. And no surprise that as always you're backtracking to try and get out of it. How wonderfully predictable. " Oh I knew that." :rolleyes: And here's the thing, you're still guilty of that which you criticize.

Based off of his PLAY and before the hype and the combine, Matt Jones was projected as a 5th-6th rounder. This is after everyone watched all of his games in college.

Now, after some jaw dropping Combine numbers, he's probably going to go in the first round by some desperate organization. I predict Minnesota but what do I know? Seems like Tices kinda decision.

I've watched film of him and I just don't see the wiggle in his hips that all the great NFL WRs have. Sure, he is great in a straight line but what ProBowl caliber WR just runs fly routes.

I have a hard time believing so many people can be worked into a frenzy over a clearly biased Mortensen report where he said ridiculous things like he has the best hands in the draft. Just let that set in for a minute. Mort says the guy has the best hands in the draft. :doh:

:rolleyes: he has been projected a 3rd rounder since the college season ended. Wiggle in his hips....:doh: The guy has moves and speed of a Randel El at the size of Harold Carmichael. He is smart, competitive, and a multiple threat. Many former QB's have made an easy transistion to other posititions. He has soft hands, like many other former basketball stars.....Gates, Curry, Pollard..etc.

dude you're :owned:

Archived