Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ECS: Washington to make a pre-draft move????

RWJ

Originally posted by RustburgSkins

ummmm Surtain Is NOT past his prime....he is 29...not almost 40 like Deion was....Surtain has another 5 decent years in him....this board always seems to think a 30 year old player is almost near death

Pass on any 30+ year old players.

Originally posted by SlobberKnockinFootball

Yea, I wish we would of passed on S. Springs :rolleyes:

I'm proud of Springs and us bringing him in. But we need a youth movement at CB. If Gibbs & Co. prefer proven veterans, then fine, but not 30+ years old.

smh @ you in favor of 30 year old players because you yourself are 30 ;)

Originally posted by scruffylookin

If we have to go for a corner, I'd rather draft one than take Clements. I'd rather have Jones, Rolle or Rogers and have them under a rookie contract for the next 5 or 6 years than trade for Clements and then see him seek top 5 or even Champ Bailey money in a year.:doh:

Sorry, I hope the Skins don't do this.

What's to stop a rookie from asking for a big contract the next year? Sean Taylor is doing it.

Nate Clements has been sitting on a very meager contract compared to most CBs at his level, and I don't believe he has complained about it so far.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

What's to stop a rookie from asking for a big contract the next year? Sean Taylor is doing it.

Nate Clements has been sitting on a very meager contract compared to most CBs at his level, and I don't believe he has complained about it so far.

My concern isn't 2005, Clements is a pro and I'm sure he'll play under his existing contract. It's 2006 when he's a free agent and is looking for the big bucks, that's what worries me.

Sean is complaining but he's under contract. He'll be here in August. Even if we sign Jones/Rolle/Rogers to a very generous contract at #9, it will pale in comparison to the contract Clements will be looking for in 2006.

Nate is only about 3 years older than these rookies, and he is already a proven Pro Bowler. Not to mention, he knows the system. Gregg Williams knows him, so we know he will be good for us.

Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards would probably be gone by 9, and we probably can't trade down. Trading a pick we would use to get Antrel Rolle or Pac Man Jones for Nate Clements is a no-brainer. He's probably faster than Pac Man, and he's a punishing hitter, not like little Pac Man. He's actually bigger than Rolle, and he's got the speed that Rolle doesn't have.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

Nate is only about 3 years older than these rookies, and he is already a proven Pro Bowler. Not to mention, he knows the system. Gregg Williams knows him, so we know he will be good for us.

Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards would probably be gone by 9, and we probably can't trade down. Trading a pick we would use to get Antrel Rolle or Pac Man Jones for Nate Clements is a no-brainer. He's probably faster than Pac Man, and he's a punishing hitter, not like little Pac Man. He's actually bigger than Rolle, and he's got the speed that Rolle doesn't have.

I won't dispute he's a better player than those three at this point. But is he 10 to 15 million dollars SB better?

NO WAY!!!!

Originally posted by scruffylookin

My concern isn't 2005, Clements is a pro and I'm sure he'll play under his existing contract. It's 2006 when he's a free agent and is looking for the big bucks, that's what worries me.

Sean is complaining but he's under contract. He'll be here in August. Even if we sign Jones/Rolle/Rogers to a very generous contract at #9, it will pale in comparison to the contract Clements will be looking for in 2006.

That's the downside of this. We'll probably wait until June 1st and then lock him up with a long term contract in 2005. Considering that we wouldn't have to pay for our 9th pick, I think we can find a way to clear up the extra room to sign him with our post June 1st cuts. I don't know if his contract would be affordable after 2005.

Let's see what he is asking for. We don't know. There's not much difference between what pick 9 gets and a $10M SB, but if he wants Champ Bailey money, forget it. It's probably somewhere in between.

Isn't pacman himself 25? Since Rolle will probably be the first CB taken, basically at the # 9 spot it would be a choice between a 25 year old rookie with a drug problem or a 25 year old pro bowl cb who is already familiar with our defense... UHHHHHHH please to the people against this move prove that otherwise... If we wanted Carlos Rogers that would require a trade down if smart so I'm not even putting him in the equation.

Guest GIBBSisGOD

I probably would rather see us going after surtain for whatever miami's asking since it would be so much cheaper than what the bills would want for clements. Clements is a great player, i should know especially since i live in the buffalo area, but i would rather keep our most probable trade bait of the #9 pick and take either merriman or maybe take williamson there so that way we maximize our draft picks. I personally am sick of not having a ton of draft picks, and i think it would be a mistake to trade ourself out of the first round when we could possibly pick up a cornerback of about the same quality for a much lesser pick and use our first rounder on a potential star. If our pick was say in the mid-late 20's i probably wouldn't have as much of a problem with it, but at 9 we can trade down into the teens and gather more picks.

The feeling around Buffalo is that Nate Clements is an elite player. He never misses a game and is a complete pro. He has developed into a shut down corner at only 25. Right now the Bills have 6 million in cap room, and no first rounder. No glaring needs. Clements isn't going anywhere. Everyone loves him here.

Archived