Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kingdom of Heaven (movie)

Mr. S

What do you all think of this movie coming out soon:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/kingdom_of_heaven/

No, not about Christianity, well slightly since it is about the Crusades. I definitely just like any medieval/middle ages history of any sort, so I will be wanting to see this. However, I am sitll not a fan of Orlando Bloom, for his weak attempts to be strong in Pirates and Troy.

I think it looks really cool. Looks like Gladiator meets the Crusades. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors. And I think it's supposed to be pretty neutral between the Muslims and Christians, neither side is seen as the good guys or bad guys. I'm definitely gonna go see it in the theaters.

And I agree about Orlando Bloom. He's too girly looking and skinny to play tough guy action roles. I don't think he'll ruin the movie though because there is a great supporting cast.

• 7 months later...

I just rented this movie on DVD, never having caught it in the theatre, and I thought it was pretty good. I don't seem to remember it being in theatres too long, considering the type of movie it was (i.e. very expensive epic with all-star cast and Oscar-winning director). In the end I thought it was very good – certainly not as entertaining as Gladiator, which it is inevitably and logically compared to, but still excellent nonetheless.

I looked at the box office results from the movie and it's clear that it wasn't very popular in the US but did quite well overseas. I wondered why this was, and came to the conclusion that American audiences don't want to see a movie where a Muslim army defeats a Christian army, even if Ridley Scott gave a picture of many more Muslim deaths than Christian. I felt that it would have been better received pre-9/11.

Just wondered if anyone else saw this movie and had an opinion.

I also recently rented the movie -- and really enjoyed it.

Yet again, Ridley Scott makes very enjoyable movies.

Given the subject matter, I really thought it was going to come off as a very unctuous (see, I can use Dictionary.com too) sort of lecture on the wrongs of the Crusades.

In the end, it definitely acknowledged the evil motivations behind the Crusades, but it didn't rub it in your face. Instead, it came off as more of a personal quest for redemption.

I studied this subject ad nauseum almost a decade ago (the Battle of the Horns of Hittin and the fall of Jerusalem) -- but I honestly can't recall what/if any historical liberties were taken in giving this account. Generally, the movie's story fit well into the perceptions I had formed back then (the political intrigue in Jerusalem, the integrity of Salah ah Din, and the military bungles of the Christian Army at Hittin).

Overall, I'd recommend the movie. If you like the epic, historical war flick -- Kingdom of Heaven is one of the few to come along in a while. It's not Braveheart (as an engrossing story); but it's also a far cry from Alexcander (pukesville).

I walked out of it, the movie was full of characters I grew to hate and not care about, the plot moved at a snail's pace and when it got close to the end I had already given up on it

I left right before the battle scene at the end - first movie I ever walked out of

wanted to walk out of Garden State , but the never ending cliche's kept me glued to my seat

Archived