Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Ramsey Rounds Learning Curve

Tay

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53042-2002May21.html

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 22, 2002; Page D3

The learning process resumed for Washington Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey yesterday, as the first-round draft choice participated in a morning practice at Redskins Park.

Ramsey joined Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel and Sage Rosenfels during individual passing drills. But Coach Steve Spurrier, as he had done on Ramsey's first day at minicamp last month, withheld Ramsey from the seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 passing drills.

"Hopefully, we'll get him a few in there" later in the week, Spurrier said.

Still, Ramsey said he felt far more comfortable with Spurrier's offense than he had a month ago at minicamp.

"I'm trying to pick this up, and this was very encouraging," Ramsey said. "It made so much more sense than it did the last time I was here. . . . I was lost in that minicamp."

Tailback Ladell Betts, the second-round draft pick, also practiced at the two-week coaching session that began last week. But under NFL rules, rookies could not participate in the voluntary practices before May 15. Their classes also must have recessed, and Ramsey participated in a seminar for selected NFL rookies in Southern California over the weekend.

Ramsey said he devoted himself to working out and performing drills Spurrier assigned during his time away. He quizzed himself on Spurrier's playbook with written tests, diagraming plays to make certain he knew them well. He hoped he wouldn't be so confused the next time he was on the practice field.

"I did dream that I completed 15 straight balls in practice," said Ramsey, who is not under contract but agreed to a letter of protection with the Redskins that would determine his compensation if injured.

On the day after the Redskins ended their April minicamp, they signed Matthews as a free agent. Matthews played for Spurrier at the University of Florida and has been a part-time starter for the Chicago Bears in recent seasons. Spurrier has said he expects Matthews, Wuerffel and Rosenfels to compete for two roster spots, including the starting job. But Ramsey said he was not discouraged by the addition of Matthews, who signed a one-year contract.

"I think it's positive," Ramsey said. "Whatever Coach Spurrier wants for this team, he's doing it because he wants to win."

Wuerffel, another former Florida quarterback, went out of his way to offer to help Ramsey during last month's minicamp. Matthews said yesterday he also will try to tutor Ramsey.

"I came here to play," Matthews said. "But obviously, he is the future of this franchise. . . . Patrick has all the tools in the world. He has one of the best arms I've seen in a long time. But you have to know how to use that arm‚ . . . He's got the whole package, but he can't just step in and go. . . . Once he understands the entire offense and what plays to use to attack the defense, he's going to be a good player."

Spurrier's quarterbacks are asked to make many play calls after the offense has lined up and gotten a chance to look over the defensive alignment.

"He puts a lot of responsibility on the quarterback's shoulders," Matthews said. "It just makes sense. If a play isn't going to work, don't run it."

Ramsey said he can learn just by watching Matthews and Wuerffel run the offense they know so well. Wuerffel had nine straight completions at one point during yesterday's practice, by Ramsey's count. The Redskins' quarterbacks and receivers are getting improved practice-field results as the offseason progresses.

"We're starting to get it together," Spurrier said. "We're starting to get an idea of what we're trying to do."

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

9 in a row for woeful sounds nice. :)

but....

for what yardage? to who? any tds? any first downs? who was defending? champ? smoot? DONAVAN GREER???? if it was in 11 on 11, was woeful with the first string against the scrubs who will be cut or what?

9 in a row against greer, tony banks could probably do...

I wanna know who besides Big Daddy was playing DB?

But seriously, maybe we're selling Wuerffel short. The Texans were able to make a trade for him. Which is better than the Bears did with Matthews. True, it was DeLoach, but it's not like we are so very deep at DT.

I can't remember when the offseason was clouded with so much mystery. What magic is there in the Spurrier system and coaching? Can he really turn players like Wuerffel into stars?

There are a lot of questions to be answered.

One thing I like about all these Gatorskins is that they all seem to have a team first attitude, and all love to play for Spurrier. I mean, look at how Matthews (and now Hilliard) begged to be let go to reunite with SS. Could you have seen Chandler or Blake having this kind of positive, helpful attitude towrads Ramsey.

And if Gibbs could turn Schroeder into the NFL's top rated passer, maybe SS can turn Waffle into something that doesn't get eaten for breakfast... :cool:

Originally posted by Sailor

I can't remember when the offseason was clouded with so much mystery. What magic is there in the Spurrier system and coaching? Can he really turn players like Wuerffel into stars?

I don't know about the pros, but it sure is interesting that all these former Gators were 'great' college players but not even good pro players. So it begs the question if any of them are actually any good or is it just that SOS can make the average guy seem great.

Let me say that Shane was the 4th or 5th string QB when SOS promoted him. Danny won us a championship and the Heisman and yet people think he lacks ANY talent.

I for one would love to see Danny make the team and maybe even get in a game and play well. I'd love to see all the naysayers eat crow and I'm really sick of everyone bashing him before he even has a chance.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

And if Gibbs could turn Schroeder into the NFL's top rated passer, maybe SS can turn Waffle into something that doesn't get eaten for breakfast... :cool:

When exactly did that happen? Schroeder's best season for us was 1986, when his stats were:

1986- 16 games; 276comp 541att 51.0comp% 4109yds 7.6y/a 22TD's 22INT

That's a 76.22 rating- hardly the best in the league material.

Great yards per attempt and yards, but the ratio of TD's to INT's, and the low completion percentage mitigate. Without looking, I'll bet that Marino and Montana had better numbers those years.

Archived