Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough of the Mike Willams talk!!!!!

bricucci

Lets end the Mike Williams draft talk!:puke: Please!!!

The Skins have an abundance of talent on offense. Don't laugh!!

I would be more concerned about Gibbs developing an offense that can work in today's football and give Greg Williams more talent to make our D even more dominating!!!! We had the 3rd rank D in football last year with a bunch of fill ins and role players and with quite possiblly the worst set of Defensive Ends in football! I think you need to stock this unit with more talent, they could be absolutely dominating!!!!!!!! The offense has talent, Gibbs just needs another season under his belt to adapt it to today's NFL!!!!!

I'm sick of the all the we need a DE talk. We don't need to fix the defense. I believe in one theory, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

As far as WR goes, Jacobs has not proven that he's ready, Thrash does not impress me, McCants doesn't seem to exist to Gibbs, and Gardner is pretty much done here in Washington. So that leaves us with 2 receivers (Moss & Patten). I say we draft Mike Williams.

Originally posted by a_good_brotha

I'm sick of the all the we need a DE talk. We don't need to fix the defense. I believe in one theory, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

As far as WR goes, Jacobs has not proven that he's ready, Thrash does not impress me, McCants doesn't seem to exist to Gibbs, and Gardner is pretty much done here in Washington. So that leaves us with 2 receivers (Moss & Patten). I say we draft Mike Williams.

Fact or Fiction?

1: The Redskins can generate pressure with their front four.

Fiction. We have to bring the house plus the kitchen sink to get the QB.

2: We need to draft another corner in order to solidify the secondary.

Fiction. We have nine year veteran Walt Harris to step into the vacant cb spot created by the loss of Smoot. We also have Garnell Wilds behind him, a young player the staff seems to like.

3: Putting pressure on the QB improves your secondary.

Fact.

A pass rushing DE who can generate pressure balances out the defense and would make average secondaries good ones.

Some here act as if our defense is a complete unit. It's not. Gregg Williams did one heck of a job covering up our glaring weakness at the DE position. Just because he was able to use smoke and mirrors to hide that weakness, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Ok, I'm done promoting drafting a DE. We skip this position EVERY season in order to draft a hyped player(sexy pick). Guess that trend continues. One year it's a can't miss WR, next year it's a safety, this year it's another stinking WR. What will it be next year? A can't miss Olineman? A TE? Waterboy?

I wouldn't even have a problem with it, if we addressed it in FA. Instead we pick someone up off the street(see Phillip Daniels) that really belongs on a loading dock instead of a football field.

We need talent and youth on the Dline, because we aren't getting any younger. :2cents:

I love how people presume to tell everyone else here what we "need" to do. Listen bud, no one here really "knows" what we need to do, we are all just speculating and sharing our opinions of what would help the team the most.

So you are tired of reading about Mike Williams? Then stop reading. It really is that simple. But do not presume to tell the rest of us here what we are "allowed" to discuss, or how much we are allowed to discuss it. This is an open community for the most part, there is freedom of speech here just like the rest of this great country. If you don't like it, you can always leave.

Get over it man.

Originally posted by Tmac1577

I would love to see the skins get Pac Man Jones if he was there at #9 that would be a great replacement for smoot. rolle from miami wouldnt be bad either!!!

Didn't Pac Man sign with the Postons?

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Fact or Fiction?

Fiction. We have to bring the house plus the kitchen sink to get the QB.

Fiction. We have nine year veteran Walt Harris to step into the vacant cb spot created by the loss of Smoot. We also have Garnell Wilds behind him, a young player the staff seems to like.

3: Putting pressure on the QB improves your secondary.

Fact.

A pass rushing DE who can generate pressure balances out the defense and would make average secondaries good ones.

Some here act as if our defense is a complete unit. It's not. Gregg Williams did one heck of a job covering up our glaring weakness at the DE position. Just because he was able to use smoke and mirrors to hide that weakness, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Ok, I'm done promoting drafting a DE. We skip this position EVERY season in order to draft a hyped player(sexy pick). Guess that trend continues. One year it's a can't miss WR, next year it's a safety, this year it's another stinking WR. What will it be next year? A can't miss Olineman? A TE? Waterboy?

I wouldn't even have a problem with it, if we addressed it in FA. Instead we pick someone up off the street(see Phillip Daniels) that really belongs on a loading dock instead of a football field.

We need talent and youth on the Dline, because we aren't getting any younger. :2cents:

You people make me laugh.

DE is a "sexy pick" just the same as any of the skill positions. It's importance is also highly over-rated, and Williams just proved that last year. Everyone seems to forget that Williams places a premium on stopping the run, and asks his DE's to look for the run first, then worry about the QB.

A great DE is a luxury, nothing more. There are none in this league who can even get preassure every down. Freeney is the closest thing to that and even he is completely shut down with some regulerity. Is hthere anyone in this drat that we could presume to be even half the player at DE as Freeney? Not that I have seen.

Overall I think we are better off with two or three hungry second tier guys sharing time and staying fresh than some overpaid stud DE. Guys like that who are fighting for a job will perform with a higher intensity than a single guy can, and will be very carefull to listen to what their coach tells them. I can't tell you how overjoyed I was last year to not see our DE's run themselves out of the play nearly every down like Bruce Smith nearly always did. Even if the are not in the QB's face every down, at least they are not a total non-factor.

I would not disagree with drafting a DE, especially in round two if we trade down to the late first, but it is simply not as important as some of the other areas of need.

Originally posted by feeshta

You people make me laugh.

DE is a "sexy pick" just the same as any of the skill positions. It's importance is also highly over-rated, and Williams just proved that last year. Everyone seems to forget that Williams places a premium on stopping the run, and asks his DE's to look for the run first, then worry about the QB.

A great DE is a luxury, nothing more. There are none in this league who can even get preassure every down. Freeney is the closest thing to that and even he is completely shut down with some regulerity. Is hthere anyone in this drat that we could presume to be even half the player at DE as Freeney? Not that I have seen.

Overall I think we are better off with two or three hungry second tier guys sharing time and staying fresh than some overpaid stud DE. Guys like that who are fighting for a job will perform with a higher intensity than a single guy can, and will be very carefull to listen to what their coach tells them. I can't tell you how overjoyed I was last year to not see our DE's run themselves out of the play nearly every down like Bruce Smith nearly always did. Even if the are not in the QB's face every down, at least they are not a total non-factor.

I would not disagree with drafting a DE, especially in round two if we trade down to the late first, but it is simply not as important as some of the other areas of need.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :cheers:

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, that offense was just racking up the points last year, and trading Coles and Gardner for Moss & Patten is gonna be the ticket to us being a good offense I'm sure. :doh: Everybody has an opinion on who we should draft if you don't like reading them perhaps you should take a break till after the draft cause that's going to be 90% of the threads in Fedex until then.

Originally posted by a_good_brotha

Yea, but the thing is the D was good but not GREAT. We only scored once all year:doh:

Don't you think Williams could use another gamebreaker on the line of scrimmage?

You are right, it's not broken but there s no WAY you can convince me that our D wouldn't be that much better with a true edge rusher.

Look at it like this, right now the only guy who gets consistent QB pressure is Griffin. Imagine if we just had ONE other guy to create pressure from the opposite side, or even the same side.

We'd have MORE interceptions and MORE forced fumbles not to mention a LOT more 3rd and long situations. Our d right now relies on alot of blitzing... Imagine if we got consistent pressure with our front 4?

:rolleyes:

I'm not saying we wouldn't be better off with a pass rushing DE. All I'm trying to say is I feel the WR position is a bigger need at this point.

It's all fine and dandy to generate more turnovers with pressure from the D-line, but it does no good if the offense does nothing with the opportunity except kick field goals like last season.

We don't need a DE, it would be a luxury and here's why:

1- Clemons and Lavar can and will play the role of pass rushing DE.

2- We didn't have a dominating pass rusher last year and still had the #3 defense in the league.

3- The system is designed to create pressure on the QB even without a pass rushing end.

I wouldn't mind having a pass rushing end, but at the moment I see Corner and even WR as more pressing needs. We had one of the worst offenses in the league last year, if anyone would complain over a move made to help correct that then I don't think you have your head screwed on straight.

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Question: How can DE be a sexy pick when have have skipped the position in the first two rounds of the draft for almost a decade??

I don't see any pick that helps the team fill a need as being a "sexy pick".

WR, DE, CB.... would all fill a need. Tired of the "sexy pick" cliche.

Originally posted by bricucci

Lets end the Mike Williams draft talk!:puke: Please!!!

I would be more concerned about Gibbs developing an offense that can work in today's football and give Greg Williams more talent to make our D even more dominating!!!! We had the 3rd rank D in football last year with a bunch of fill ins and role players and with quite possiblly the worst set of Defensive Ends in football! I think you need to stock this unit with more talent, they could be absolutely dominating!!!!!!!! The offense has talent, Gibbs just needs another season under his belt to adapt it to today's NFL!!!!!

Did you watch the offensive video thread. If you didn't you should, over and over again. You know whats changed between then and now. Our wrs got worse.

Originally posted by illone

Yea, but the thing is the D was good but not GREAT. We only scored once all year:doh:

Don't you think Williams could use another gamebreaker on the line of scrimmage?

You are right, it's not broken but there s no WAY you can convince me that our D wouldn't be that much better with a true edge rusher.

Look at it like this, right now the only guy who gets consistent QB pressure is Griffin. Imagine if we just had ONE other guy to create pressure from the opposite side, or even the same side.

We'd have MORE interceptions and MORE forced fumbles not to mention a LOT more 3rd and long situations. Our d right now relies on alot of blitzing... Imagine if we got consistent pressure with our front 4?

:rolleyes:

Making something that was very good a little better = luxury. Making something that was bad a little better = need.

Fact or Fiction?

Fact. See the highlight reel made on our defense and on Griffin as well. We can get to the QB just fine.

Fact. If one of our defensive backs goes down with injury then we are looking at starting Wilds and some relatively unknown player or Brown at nickle back. We need some depth at defensive back.

3: If you had your way we would have drafted Udeze instead of Shawn Taylor our (sexy pick).

Archived