Right-Wing Bloggers' Fake Sgrena Car Photo

Latest: The Sgrena Hit:

How They Did It, and Why

Right-Wing Bloggers' Fake

Sgrena Car Photo

AP Linked to Disinfo on Shooting

by Fintan Dunne, Editor

BreakForNews.com March 6th, 2005

Right-wing bloggers are circulating a photo purportedly showing the car in which Sgrena Guiliani was wounded and her rescuer Nicola Calipari was fatally shot. The photo is being used to discredit Sgrena's account of the shooting.

It shows a four-door sedan which has only the driver's side window broken and no overt bullet damage to the bodywork. That contradicts the "hail of bullets" described by Sgrena and others. And it boosts the US military's case that the incident was just a "mishap."

At first glance the picture seems legitimate. Captions which accompany the photo on blogs say it's a still frame taken from an Associated Press video about the shooting at Baghdad Airport. These captions also give a source link to versions of the video on Yahoo and on AP Feedroom.

They make comments like:

"Unless this car is made out of thick metal and bullets bounce off of it, I don't think this car was shot at more than 10 times." [source]

"I ask you, does the car above look like it was “riddled with bullets? Either our soldiers are terrible shots or some people are being pretty loose with the facts in this story." [source]

But if you are suspicious that the car seems far too little damaged, you might -as I did- check major search engines for such a high-profile photo. On the Yahoo News Photo site -I quickly found the same vehicle photographed from another angle. This time with an Iraqi man standing beside the vehicle.

The Yahoo photo caption says:

An Iraqi driver stands near his damaged vehicle at the site of the kidnapping of an Italian journalist outside al-Nahrain University in central Baghdad, February 4, 2005.... Gunmen pulled up alongside her vehicle, forced her driver and an Iraqi journalist with her out of the vehicle at gunpoint and then drove off with Sgrena, the sources said.

The driver said that the gunmen hit his car as they were rushing away

from the scene following the kidnapping. (Akram Saleh/Reuters)

Tracking back the "car photo" story through blogs --which credited each other as the tale passed around, the feeding chain included thepoliticalteen.net, sayanythingblog.com, [also 1 2] and the source of it all littlegreenfootballs.com.

You will gain some insight into the political flavor of littlegreenfootballs.com -the blog which started the fake story- from this comment in a related thread on the blog:

"Journalists writing for commie rags are not impervious to bullets if they disregard the American military in a war zone. One would think Sgrena would be more cautious having just been released as a hostage."

Here, at even as the story continued to ooze across the blogsphere, the source of it all: littlegreenfootballs.com had already retracted their claim it was Sgrena's car.

And they were blaming Associated Press for it all, because in the AP video, the car clip from the February 5th, kidnapping was misleading synchronized with the voice-over describing the Baghdad airport shooting of Sgrena:

"[The video has] a medium shot of this car, changing to a closeup, as the voice-over says, “Coalition forces fired on a vehicle that was approaching a checkpoint at a high rate of speed.” ...So we apparently have a false alarm here, triggered by a highly misleading AP video. This is not a photo of the car that ran the checkpoint. [source]

But even as one piece of disinfo is retracted that last sentence sows another:

"This is not a photo of the car that ran the checkpoint."

There was no checkpoint. Sgrena recounts that a patrol fired on their car within sight of the terminal building at the airport - not on the road to the airport. This is just a continuation of earlier disinformation by the US command in Iraq.

The AP video is disturbingly edited. And the little green footballs have been suspiciously inept. [see below]

But that isn't stopping the popularity of disinformation which serves only to cover-up the likely assassination bid on a journalist --who was at the time of her imminent departure from Iraq, set to beecome a heroine of the anti-war movement in Italy and a considerable obstacle to the US/UK and Italian political mafia and their proto-imperial objectives in Iraq.

[Note] Littlegreenfootballs kickstarted the "outrage" against Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-NY). Luckily [ahem], an LGF reader was in a community forum audience to record Hinchley saying the fake CBS memos were planted by Karl Rove to discredit Dan Rather. Thanks 'pia'

See our related investigations:

* Americans Knew in Advance to Arrange Ambush

* Giuliana Sgrena : Means, Motive and Murder

* US attack on Sgrena was deliberate says companion

* Reporter survives likely assassination bid by US Special Forces

...more to come on BreakForNews.com

3 COMMENTS from previous story version

LadySimons said...

BLUE 1 from Green Zone to Airport is the most heavily guarded route (yanquis say "rowt"). Official Vehicles are under control by very secure RF Direct Mil. link to Green Zone and Airport and handed from Point to Point (numbered)as they travel along.

This was not a checkpoint. The vehicle has "disappeared" and cannot be photographed.

If anybody thinks that a Top Security guy taking a kidnapped hostage for which the It Gubment have paid serious dinars for, going to Berlusconis personal plane is going to travel in that rattle wagon along Death Alley they must be seriously deranged.Also with such a precious cargo there would be at least three vehicles in the convoy. Probably support from Kroll via USAID.

Vehicle of Choice is a big GM - White.6 litres, accelerates like s*** and turns like a London Taxi.

Apparently the vehicle was in contact on open mobile to Italy at time of incident.

Somebody is throwing dust in yer face.

The bad thing is as far as the US are concerned they didn't complete the job.

9:30 PM

Interesting...Some folks will do anything, eh?

It is still a strange situation how the Italian was shot - you would have thought that the sentries at the airport would have been fully aware of the vehicle, its make, model, color, etc....

Originally posted by Sarge

Ummmm, we did a thread on this about three days ago

This thread is about the fact that her car really was riddled with bullets and the car that was shown in the stories was a fake. It's about how the US assassinated one man in that car and tried to assassinate her.

Originally posted by Jonathan

This thread is about the fact that her car really was riddled with bullets and the car that was shown in the stories was a fake. It's about how the US assassinated one man in that car and tried to assassinate her.

Had you looked in the other thread Osama, you would have seen a picture of what is supposed to be the the real car from an Italian newspaper. It had less holes than the first one

Do you honestly believe that? Can you be that stupid? Can you be that twisted?

Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena's history of lies

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94454

And BTW. Here is the real car. NOT "riddled with bullets"

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/070580.php

capt.rom17003082010.italy_sgrena_car_rom170.jpg

Hmm, if they would have shot 300-400 bullets at that care, I don't think anyone would have survived.

It still sounds like some sort of screw-up on the part of the airport security, but not quite the ambush as depicted by some. After all, wouldn't a LAW had done a much better job of destroying that car?

It's sad this incident happened, and it is sad that the story is seemingly getting raised to epic proportions.

This thread is pointless.

1 - Right wing bloggers lie? No way!

2 - Car may not be swiss cheese but that doesn't make people any less dead does it?

3 - Claiming the US was out to kill you....even though they allowed you to go on living is foolish. Obviously this was an accident.

4 - Also who the hell is Sarge calling Osama?

Still stand by my points originally and later:

By the way if you say assassinate you should spend 11 seconds looking it up and finding out nobody was notified about their arrival by either the Italy side or the superior side Soooooooo.

It was treated just as if it was just another car.

I concede as I think about things further that we don't know enough to say it was an attempted assassination for sure - it could have been trigger happy troops, so sorry for my overconfident statement. I believe it was an attempted assassination, and as Eason Jordan of CNN pointed out bravely, the US has deliberately assassinated journalists on at least 12 occassions. This article offers another perspective:

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0309-21.htm

Published on Wednesday, March 9, 2005 by CommonDreams.org

'Trigger-Happy' Troops or Attempted Assassination?

by Ritt Goldstein

"They knew an Italian car was coming", said senior Il Manifesto editor Roberto Zanini, speaking to me from the Rome headquarters of recently released hostage Giuliana Sgrena's paper. But nevertheless, a fateful barrage fired by US forces at Baghdad airport hit the vehicle carrying the Italian journalist to her flight home. And much of the globe is asking, 'why?'

On Saturday, in interviews with a Rome prosecutor, both Sgrena and an Italian Secret Service agent confirmed each other's stories that their car was traveling at regular speed, that no 'warning shots' were fired by US forces, said Zanini. That directly contradicts the Pentagon's version of events.

Zanini also said that America differs in its approach to hostages from Europe, that while Europeans prefer to talk and negotiate, the US prefers hostage-taker identification and elimination. And media reports indicate Sgrena has publicly speculated upon US 'intervention' because of this difference.

On Monday, the large Italian paper 'La Stampa' ran a story that Sgrena was ransomed for somewhere between $7-8 million US, quoting anonymous and unconfirmed sources. But what happened after Sgrena's release from captivity is the question, a wounded Sgrena and a heroically dead Italian Secret Service agent further punctuating the issue.

Is Sgrena's theory of deliberate 'intervention' off the mark and pretty far-fetched, maybe, but like John Pilger I too have been published in Il Manifesto. I have spoken with Sgrena on several occasions, and found her tough, smart, and level-headed. She isn't an ideologue, and my experience with her is that she calls things as she sees them; so, saying the paper is communist just doesn't wash here.

The 'Blogosphere' is rife with speculation, including that Sgrena may have also been targeted because of what she knew and had written regarding Fallujah. And she's been quoted by the Associated Press (AP) as emphasizing that her Iraqi captors had warned that the US "might intervene".

Both domestic US police forces and the US military have previously attacked journalists, sometimes fatally. Paris based NGO 'Reporters sans frontieres' is calling for a UN investigation into the circumstances surrounding Sgrena's shooting, the group recalling 2003 US fire upon Baghdad's Palestine Hotel, the two journalists it killed. But the 'Seattle Post-Intelligencer' ran a far more telling article this February 17th, "News about Iraq goes through filters"

"Recently at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Eason Jordan, a CNN executive, told a panel that the U.S. military deliberately targeted journalists in Iraq. He said he 'knew of about 12 journalists who had not only been killed by American troops, but had been targeted as a matter of policy,' said Rep. Barney Frank, a Democrat from Massachusetts who was on the panel with Jordan.", a portion of the 'Post-Intelligencer' piece read.

Domestically, a 2000 lawsuit was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) regarding the actions of the Los Angeles police department (LAPD), alleging LAPD "deliberately targeted members of the media, clubbing and shooting them", according to an ACLU spokesperson. And I, myself, was the victim of life-threatening assaults by US police while publicizing and pursuing police accountability legislation in the US.

It is a matter of record that I was: shot at, had the steering purposefully unscrewed on my car, had my home and offices destroyed, and was attacked repeatedly and often with 'non-lethal' chemical weapons, i.e., pepper spray. In other words, while sometimes 'accidents happen', sometimes it's not an 'accident'.

A lot of the world believes President George W. Bush is far from being America's only 'quick-draw cowboy', but that's also a big and legitimate part of the current question.

Zanini told me that while tough questions need answering, many believe that 'trigger-happy' troops were the problem, and he felt they could well be right, and they indeed could. Casual violence and shootings have become standard fare for a great many of those Americans carrying weapons in the line of duty.

In all fairness, fear is a real part of this equation for some; for others, anger and contempt decidedly appear the emotions in play. The idea of respect for human lives, setting aside the question of human rights, has been too often reduced to little more than a bad joke endlessly told by 'official spokespeople'.

Whether the current 'incident' was a matter of 'shoot em all' or 'shoot Sgrena', an absolute certainty is that it's long-past time that the 'shooters' be held accountable. 'Quick-draw cowboys' need to be finally relegated to the old westerns, because that's the only place where they legitimately belong.

Ritt Goldstein can be reached at ritt1997@hotmail.com

I concede as I think about things further that we don't know enough to say it was an attempted assassination for sure - it could have been trigger happy troops, so sorry for my overconfident statement. I believe it was an attempted assassination, and as Eason Jordan of CNN pointed out bravely, the US has deliberately assassinated journalists on at least 12 occassions. This article offers another perspective:

Whoa.... you got something real about US "deliberately asassinating journalists? that assassinate word means something you know.. to say deliberately and assassinate is redundant..

and as Eason Jordan of CNN pointed out bravely, the US has deliberately assassinated journalists on at least 12 occassions.

You are a freak, a loon, a moron, a POS. Take your tin foil hat wearing @ss and jump in front of a fast moving train, or at least jump over to DU where your idiocy will be welcomed.

Mods. This is getting out of hand. Must we deal with this idiot's lies and fruitcake conpiricy theorys? The guy is not contributing to reasoned discussion, he is starting threads like this and "Will Bush the Beheader use Terrorism to Become America's Pinochet? " This isn't discussion, it's hate, propaganda, and lies.

Originally posted by Mad Mike

You are a freak, a loon, a moron, a POS. Take your tin foil hat wearing @ss and jump in front of a fast moving train, or at least jump over to DU where your idiocy will be welcomed.

Mods. This is getting out of hand. Must we deal with this idiot's lies and fruitcake conpiricy theorys? The guy is not contributing to reasoned discussion, he is starting threads like this and "Will Bush the Beheader use Terrorism to Become America's Pinochet? " This isn't discussion, it's hate, propaganda, and lies.

I agree with you that he's fallen off the sanity cart with that last post but why should radical liberals receive more harsh treatment then lunatics on your side of the fence. Last I checked we didn't ban people for calling Clinton a traitor, labeling all liberals "enemies" of the US, or any other sort of generally well received right wing idiocy.

BTW - Jonathon, you really have taken it a bit too far.

http://www.theforeignnewsobserver.com/archives/2005/01/davos_forum_ask.html

Heres a sane perspective on it: Including Eason Jorden backing off his own comments... To say we shoot at someone aiming a camera with a zoom lens from 300 meters away trying to get the perfect shot... yeah.. accidents happen.

Please back up YOUR version with something other than an off handed remark I can't seem to find backed up?????

edit: Wait You did say BRAVE right?

did you mean THIS brave:

The CNN executive, who gained transient infamy for revealing that he'd directed CNN to sit on stories of Hussein's brutaility to avoid getting the CNN Baghdad Bureau shut down, has been caught by multiple sources claiming that the US military deliberately targeted journalists in Iraq.

http://www.theforeignnewsobserver.com/archives/2005/01/davos_forum_ask.html

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Foreign Scribes Don't Corroborate Jordan

Reports by two organizations of foreign journalists don't support Easton Jordan's allegation "that he knew of 12 journalists who had not only been killed by US troops in Iraq, but they had in fact been targeted," as originally reported by Rony Abovitz.

In May of 2004, the Committee for the Protection of Journalists published an extensive report on threats, injuries and deaths ("at least seven -- and possibly as many as nine") suffered by journalists in Iraq, but made no mention of deliberate targeting:

For many Iraqi journalists who are frequently out in the field, the threat of gunfire, particularly from U.S. troops, is also a major concern. "Our real fear is the Americans," says Mohammed. "We fear them more than other people here."

At least seven -- and possibly as many as nine -- journalists have been killed by U.S. gunfire since the war began in 2003. Most of them have been Iraqi or Arab, and several of the incidents have called into question the rules of engagement and conduct of U.S. troops, engendering deep mistrust among Arab journalists.

The International Federation of Journalists reports that at least two journalists were killed by US forces in the well-covered errant targeting of the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad in 2003. Again, there is no hint of deliberate targeting, only a criticism of the US military for not taking responsibility.

The IFJ says that the investigation by the US government into the killing of two journalists at the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad on April 8 2003, which was issued last November, was a tragic example. Here was an incident where soldiers fired on media in broad daylight, yet the military exonerate themselves and fail to take responsibility. It is denial of justice on a shocking scale.

The IFJ says that the unexplained killing of media staff and journalists in Iraq, involving 12 of the 69 violent deaths since the war began, shows why new international rules are needed to force independent investigations of media killings. The Federation plans a worldwide protest over the failure of the US to carry out such inquiries on April 8th the second anniversary of the Palestine Hotel attack.

The CPJ and IFJ are understandably quite pro-journalist and there are signs on their Web sites of typical journalist cynicism towards the US and the war, so the fact that neither corroborates Jordon's claim is significant.

posted by Laer at 8:49 PM

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0309-21.htm

Published on Wednesday, March 9, 2005 by CommonDreams.org

'Trigger-Happy' Troops or Attempted Assassination?

by Ritt Goldstein

"They knew an Italian car was coming", said senior Il Manifesto editor Roberto Zanini, speaking to me from the Rome headquarters of recently released hostage Giuliana Sgrena's paper. But nevertheless, a fateful barrage fired by US forces at Baghdad airport hit the vehicle carrying the Italian journalist to her flight home. And much of the globe is asking, 'why?'

On Saturday, in interviews with a Rome prosecutor, both Sgrena and an Italian Secret Service agent confirmed each other's stories that their car was traveling at regular speed, that no 'warning shots' were fired by US forces, said Zanini. That directly contradicts the Pentagon's version of events.

Zanini also said that America differs in its approach to hostages from Europe, that while Europeans prefer to talk and negotiate, the US prefers hostage-taker identification and elimination. And media reports indicate Sgrena has publicly speculated upon US 'intervention' because of this difference.

On Monday, the large Italian paper 'La Stampa' ran a story that Sgrena was ransomed for somewhere between $7-8 million US, quoting anonymous and unconfirmed sources. But what happened after Sgrena's release from captivity is the question, a wounded Sgrena and a heroically dead Italian Secret Service agent further punctuating the issue.

Is Sgrena's theory of deliberate 'intervention' off the mark and pretty far-fetched, maybe, but like John Pilger I too have been published in Il Manifesto. I have spoken with Sgrena on several occasions, and found her tough, smart, and level-headed. She isn't an ideologue, and my experience with her is that she calls things as she sees them; so, saying the paper is communist just doesn't wash here.

The 'Blogosphere' is rife with speculation, including that Sgrena may have also been targeted because of what she knew and had written regarding Fallujah. And she's been quoted by the Associated Press (AP) as emphasizing that her Iraqi captors had warned that the US "might intervene".

Both domestic US police forces and the US military have previously attacked journalists, sometimes fatally. Paris based NGO 'Reporters sans frontieres' is calling for a UN investigation into the circumstances surrounding Sgrena's shooting, the group recalling 2003 US fire upon Baghdad's Palestine Hotel, the two journalists it killed. But the 'Seattle Post-Intelligencer' ran a far more telling article this February 17th, "News about Iraq goes through filters"

"Recently at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Eason Jordan, a CNN executive, told a panel that the U.S. military deliberately targeted journalists in Iraq. He said he 'knew of about 12 journalists who had not only been killed by American troops, but had been targeted as a matter of policy,' said Rep. Barney Frank, a Democrat from Massachusetts who was on the panel with Jordan.", a portion of the 'Post-Intelligencer' piece read.

Domestically, a 2000 lawsuit was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) regarding the actions of the Los Angeles police department (LAPD), alleging LAPD "deliberately targeted members of the media, clubbing and shooting them", according to an ACLU spokesperson. And I, myself, was the victim of life-threatening assaults by US police while publicizing and pursuing police accountability legislation in the US.

It is a matter of record that I was: shot at, had the steering purposefully unscrewed on my car, had my home and offices destroyed, and was attacked repeatedly and often with 'non-lethal' chemical weapons, i.e., pepper spray. In other words, while sometimes 'accidents happen', sometimes it's not an 'accident'.

A lot of the world believes President George W. Bush is far from being America's only 'quick-draw cowboy', but that's also a big and legitimate part of the current question.

Zanini told me that while tough questions need answering, many believe that 'trigger-happy' troops were the problem, and he felt they could well be right, and they indeed could. Casual violence and shootings have become standard fare for a great many of those Americans carrying weapons in the line of duty.

In all fairness, fear is a real part of this equation for some; for others, anger and contempt decidedly appear the emotions in play. The idea of respect for human lives, setting aside the question of human rights, has been too often reduced to little more than a bad joke endlessly told by 'official spokespeople'.

Whether the current 'incident' was a matter of 'shoot em all' or 'shoot Sgrena', an absolute certainty is that it's long-past time that the 'shooters' be held accountable. 'Quick-draw cowboys' need to be finally relegated to the old westerns, because that's the only place where they legitimately belong.

Ritt Goldstein can be reached at ritt1997@hotmail.com

Look Skippy. We're the US Military. We kill people for a living. It's what we do. If we had wanted her dead, she'd be dead

Now, go back to the Barbra Streisand site and try to get some more defendable topics to show your a$$ about.

No wait, I just figured something out. You're not Osama!!

Daaaaaaan. I know it's hard being out of a job for using forged documents and all, but I really thought you'd take a break, a little vacation before venturing onto the internet. BTW, when you signed off last night, your fly was open.

The IFJ says that the investigation by the US government into the killing of two journalists at the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad on April 8 2003, which was issued last November, was a tragic example. “Here was an incident where soldiers fired on media in broad daylight, yet the military exonerate themselves and fail to take responsibility. It is denial of justice on a shocking scale.”

I watched that live. I even saw a view FROM that room before the event and thought. "these guys are going to get shot".

If there is any time a tank crew is going to be nervous, it's sitting on a bridge. Anything or anyone sitting on a balcony overlooking that bridge is going to be considered a threat. I would have been surprised if they had NOT been targeted.

The bottom line is if you are a war reporter, you may be killed. You need to show some good common sense when covering an ongoing battle, remember you are dealing with scared young people with big guns who are themselves being shot at, and do the best you can to keep YOURSELF safe.

Archived