Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another Patriot?

joeoconnor

I'm one of those who really wants to see Cooley be our starting TE next season, his blocking should be now a lot more solid after the spell at FB, and he has already shown himself to be a weapon in the passing game, particularly in our goal-line offense late in the season, which had been a major weakness for us throughout most of the season.

So if i get my wish and this happens, we would then be needing a FB. Nothing spectacular, just a fine blocker in the mould of the Bills' Shelton. So after taking a look at the FA market in FB's, Patrick Pass, who played solid football all the way through last season, is one who definitely jumps out of the pile. It would be sweet to land another Patriot as well! The only other realistic starter out there is Jim Finn, who showed himself as a good lead blocker with our division rival Giants last season.

So what do you guys think? We could look at taking one in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft as well i suppose, but i'd like experience in this position personally.

Standard Gibbs offense doesn't use a true fullback, which is what Pass is. He would play the role of blocking h-back with occasional receptions, a la Mike Sellers.

Patrick Pass is a decent runner and a good blocker, but does not excel at pass catching. Although he is a good special teams guy. However, I don't think we need him, so I will ... pass. Pun intended.

Originally posted by joeoconnor

Well now ya do,huh?! Unfortunately the only other NFL Football fan around here is a Giants one... Now THAT'S what you call unfortunate!

Yup. He's a Skins fan. :laugh:

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Now the bad news. Gibbs doesn't use a "true FB" that's just the way it is. He uses an H (hybred) back who shifts from FB, to TE, or even out to WR. But no worries. Cooley is only going to get better as both a blocker and a receiver. The only thing you won't see him do is run as "true FBs do.

:cheers:

thing is, with Cooley as the H-back, and another receiving type TE (Royal's bound to breakout now), we could have an awesome corps there. I always change Cooley into a TE on madden, but to think we could have both Cooley and another guy out there is even better. Split that with 2 more receivers and Portis, thats a good combo of speed and strength coming out.

If anything, I think Rock should bulk up again and be our 'official' FB, and dont take Sellars again.

Well now ya do,huh?! Unfortunately the only other NFL Football fan around here is a Giants one... Now THAT'S what you call unfortunate!

Unfortunate would be having the only other NFL fan being an Eagles or a Raiders fan. A Cowboys fan would be disastrous :puke:

On the bright side - you would always be the most intelligent and classy NFL fan in Ireland :D

Like what you're sayin' Mr.8,an exciting line-up in terms of weapons for Pat certainly,i'm not a Rock fan though...

Pass re-signed with the Dolphins???Sorry but WHAT?Last i checked the Dolphins weren't the SuperBowl champions...!

Yes Sellers is definitely a good one as someone to come in whenever we do need a true FB.Tough kid.

Originally posted by joeoconnor

Sure, bring in a pure blocking TE, that should keep my old-school instincts happy as i adjust to this new-fangled 'hybrid back' thingy!

LOL

And ya i agree,keep Royal,kid can catch. He's just not a sure-fire starter.

LOL, the irony of a 16-year old calling a grown man "kid". :laugh: :cheers:

Originally posted by jtyler42

I think we will resign Mike Sellers he is the traditional lead blocking FB, and was in our goaline situations last yr...

he could be part of the reason for the skins not being able to stuff the ball in when they were at the goal-line then. he also had some stupid penalties on special teams. to be fair though, he also had some very nice tackles in special teams.

Archived