Extremeskins

TBO - Merriman Plays Lights Out

Tae Bo

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBW5KG2Q5E.html

Feb 28, 2005

Merriman Plays Lights Out

By IRA KAUFMAN

ikaufman@tampatrib.com

INDIANAPOLIS - Shawne Merriman might be the most intriguing defensive prospect in the 2005 NFL draft, hands down.

Or not.

The 6-foot-4, 272-pound junior out of Maryland is tantalizing NFL executives at the scouting combine with his imposing package of versatile skills.

Merriman is predicting a 4.45 time in the 40 at his March 16 pro day, which will be well attended.

While NFL coaches drool over Merriman's physical tools, they remain unsure whether his future rests at defensive end or outside linebacker.

With more teams going to the 3-4 alignment, Merriman could find himself at outside linebacker, providing heat off the edge as a rookie.

In the more traditional 4-3, he would play end with a hand on the ground.

``Whatever they need me to play, I'll play,'' said Merriman, who earned the nickname ``Lights Out'' at Maryland for his savage hits. ``I think I can play any linebacker - middle linebacker, outside, whatever they need me to play, I can play it.''

As a junior, Merriman registered 8.5 sacks and 85 tackles, including 17 for losses. He has a 41-inch vertical leap and Merriman is expected to go within the first 15 picks of the April 23-24 draft.

``When you find a guy who can really get to the quarterback and disrupt an offense, he's attractive,'' Jets coach Herm Edwards said. ``You want a difference maker.''

Edwards already has a Merriman clone in John Abraham, who was also considered a ``tweener'' coming out of South Carolina.

As an undersized defensive end, Abraham has quickly developed into one of the league's premier pass rushers.

Merriman appears to fit the mold of New England's versatile linebackers.

``Some people find that maybe a tweener is not so good, but from what I've seen so far, I find being a tweener is an excellent thing these days,'' Merriman said.

Want to make him mad? Just call Merriman a finesse player. This is one prospect who relishes his reputation for intimidation.

``My nickname comes from the punishing hits,'' he said. ``I don't know how many people watched me during the season, but I've knocked out a couple of people in my time.''

The defensively challenged Vikings are likely to take a long look at Merriman at No. 7, the pick Minnesota obtained from Oakland in the Randy Moss deal.

Whoever drafts this Terrapin will add some swagger to the locker room.

``I can run with any back or any tight end,'' Merriman said, ``and at the same time, I can go against any tackle. Whatever teams want to do with me is fine ... I can adjust to it.''

Merriman named Florida State tackle Alex Barron as his toughest Atlantic Coast Conference opponent and said he harbors no regrets about bypassing his senior season, adding 10 pounds to make him more attractive for the pro game.

He lists Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington as a mentor, frequently asking the former Penn State standout for guidance.

Merriman obviously doesn't require any tips on self-confidence.

``I'd be lying to myself and you all if I said I didn't think I was the best defensive player in the draft,'' he said. ``But there's some talent here, man. Nobody wants to admit it, but when you come here, players look at players. Ballers recognize ballers.''

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

I didn't see too much of the Terps, but did this guy play mostly end or OLB at Maryland? Or did they move him around?

They moved him around. Honestly, he can play against almost an LT one on one -- however he gets crushed when he gets double-teamed.

I still think he is a 3rd rounder.

Merriman's size doesn't bother me one single bit. Guys with similar size, like Jason Taylor, Simeon Rice, and Jevon Kearse have become very good run defenders. Abraham and Dwight Freeney are coming on strong in that department, too.

It's a matter of technique and gaining experience--learning to take advantage of superior athletic ability and not staying blocked. And wiley defensive coordinators learn how to put these guys in advantageous positions.

3rd rounder my A$$. A guy with that kind of pass rush ability is rare, and you pray he gets double teamed. If you double team a defensive end, you are going to leave either LaVar Arrington or Marcus Washington unblocked, or blocked by a running back. Believe me, that's EXACTLY what Gregg Williams wants to see.

This guy sounds almost exactly like Jevon Kearse when he came out of Florida.

At Florida, they moved Kearse all over the place (MLB, OLB, DE, DT, even SS as a frosh) and he eventually played his majority of snaps at OLB. Kearse absolutely blew up at his Pro Day and ran a 4.43 at 265 and had CB scores/times for all the agility drills.

Still, he wasn't a top pick because this was a time when teams were getting burned by tweeners, especially in the first round. No one knew what to make of him other than that he was a freakish athlete. The reports considered him a jack of all trades/master of none but that was Bob Stoops fault for not getting all he could out of the guy. Tennessee steals him in the middle of the 1st and made him concentrate on end and the rest is history.

I don't know if Merrimen is built like Kearse with arms down to knees to rush the passer but everything else sounds eeirly familiar. Definitely someone to consider though.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

This guy sounds almost exactly like Jevon Kearse when he came out of Florida.

At Florida, they moved Kearse all over the place (MLB, OLB, DE, DT, even SS as a frosh) and he eventually played his majority of snaps at OLB. Kearse absolutely blew up at his Pro Day and ran a 4.43 at 265 and had CB scores/times for all the agility drills.

Still, he wasn't a top pick because this was a time when teams were getting burned by tweeners, especially in the first round. No one knew what to make of him other than that he was a freakish athlete. The reports considered him a jack of all trades/master of none but that was Bob Stoops fault for not getting all he could out of the guy. Tennessee steals him in the middle of the 1st and made him concentrate on end and the rest is history.

I don't know if Merrimen is built like Kearse with arms down to knees to rush the passer but everything else sounds eeirly familiar. Definitely someone to consider though.

The other reason Kearse fell was because that draft was absolutely loaded at the top.

2- McNabb

4- E. James

5- R. Williams

6- T. Holt

7- C. Bailey

8- D. Boston

9- C. Claiborne

10- C. McAlister

11- D. Culpepper

13- T. Edwards

14- J. Tait

15- A. McFarland

16- J. Kearse

17- D. Woody

19- L. Petigout

21- LJ Shelton

23- A. Winfield

31- A. Wilson

not to mention Jon Jansen, Mike Rucker, Dre Bly, Joey Porter, Randy Thomas, Dat Ngyun, B. Stokely, R. Colvin, E. Mulitalo

Looking back, Tim Couch and Akili Smith stick out like sore thumbs

Originally posted by fdarugar

Merrimen reminds me of Terrell Suggs more than anyone else, a smart team that runs a 4-3 won't pick him, I look for Dallas to scoop him up at #11.

I think Merriman would be a perfect fit in a 3-4, but I think #11 may be too high. Still, Dallas needs a pass rusher in the worst way so I wouldn't be suprised if Bill pulled the trigger on him.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

They moved him around. Honestly, he can play against almost an LT one on one -- however he gets crushed when he gets double-teamed.

I still think he is a 3rd rounder.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer......

As a Terps season ticket holder, I've seen Merriman play numerous times. He is a great athlete who makes plays all over the field. He is tough, strong, smart and relentless. I think he would be great in a 3-4 defense as an inside linebacker but not in a 4-3 as a DE. I say this because the only weakness I've seen in his game is that he sometimes struggles a bit when playing against good, big offensive tackles. Other than that, he is a "lights out" player who is definitely worthy of a first round pick, but probably not a top ten pick - and I don't see him going to the Redskins (darn it!).

Archived