Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier Audio Interview

GatorEye

Spurrier is definitely a straight-shooter. Tells it like it is... though occasionally it's not the politically correct thing to do. But you still have to respect him for it. And if anything... it's evident he's got a good head on his soldiers because he knows his sh!t.

Something tells me this guy is going to be part of Redskins lore. Spurrier will succeed here. And I don't usually endorse coaches like that.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Spurrier is definitely a straight-shooter. Tells it like it is... though occasionally it's not the politically correct thing to do. But you still have to respect him for it.

Something tells me this guy is going to be part of Redskins lore.

Three points here.

First, there is no overstating the guy is honest. He walks on water to Gator fans and he knows it. The easy thing to say would have been that it was just time to move on to the NFL. Instead he said some things in this interview that are not going to sit well with those of us in the Gator Nation. Many of us knew all was not rosey between SOS and the admin especially not recognizing the '90 Championship team and the FSU 'Docketgate' incident thing that most of us feel was the nail in the coffin for him to leave. But to air those things publicly along with the lack of real support for the new coach is certainly not taking the easy way out in the eyes of the fans. That's SOS and part of why we love him and this interview shows even more to me that he is always going to be true to himself.

Second - he reiterates that he really cares for the players. Trying to move the FSU game, sticking up for the '90 team, and sticking up for Graham. He is a players coach and I think that even though the Skins are professionals and not college kids they will respond to him.

Third - I agree he will be part of Redskin lore. Somehow and some way he will leave a wake of enemies behind him and piss more than a few people off. I hope it's for beating them year after year. I'm also looking for more good Spurrierisms especially when it comes to the 'pokes!

Listening to this, first part where he was talking about not listening to the critics, and doing what you believe in really reminded me of Marty, which is interesting because on the surface these two could not be more different. I never had a problem with Norv saying "What we do works" come to think of it, but he didn't seem to instill that belief in the players.

The second part, where they lightly brush upon differeces between Spurrier and the Florida Athletic Department and University was interesting. Spurrier sounds like he does not ask for a lot, but when he does ask for something, he expects to be listened to, and it will be interesting how that aspect of his personality plays out when he and Snyder disagree over a personnel move.

Norv Turner was completely justified in stating "What we do works". I never interpreted the "We" in the statement to imply the Redskins specifically. Rather, Turner's offensive 'system'. The man won 2 Super Bowls with the it. And ANY coach who has that kind of success with their system is going to believe in it.

It certainly 'can' work. It 'has' worked. But it doesn't guarantee it 'will' work every time.

30 to go....

I never had a problem with Norv saying "What we do works" come to think of it, but he didn't seem to instill that belief in the players.

If you look at the numbers... it wasn't the offense that was the achilles heel of those Turner teams. In fact, I'm pretty sure they ranked in the top half of most offensive statistical categories most years.

Ultimately, the ONLY way to win players over to believe in your system is to win. And the Redskins did little of that under Norv's watch.

Turner was the most amazingly balanced coach. When the offence was good, the defence rotted. If the defence was good, the offence wasn't. For a few years, the special teams were quite good, so his teams balanced that with the sloppy penalties holding, and false starts. When the special teams were horrid, I think that was when the running game took off, but he must have compensated somehow. Turner truly believed in balance. I guess that's why after scoring, his teams worked so hard at letting the other team score in return. I still remember games where the defence played immaculately, until the Redskins score. After a score, the opposition marched effortlessly down the field and scored themselves. I guess, for me, Turner proves in football it's bad to be Zen-like.

It just goes to show some people are cursed. I think Turner's brilliance may be overstated by the fact he had the three big guns of Aikman, Smith, and Irvin. Lesser offensive coordinators would have prospered with that group.

Like SOS says - God smiles on the Gators and now he'll be smiling on us!

Originally posted by Burgold

Turner was the most amazingly balanced coach. When the offence was good, the defence rotted. If the defence was good, the offence wasn't. ... I guess, for me, Turner proves in football it's bad to be Zen-like.

I think Turner lacked a killer instinct, a true "win or die" passion. Spurrier's the complete opposite in this respect. You get the feeling that he *must* win, and that even winning isn't enough, especially in grudge matches -- he wants to kick dirt in the opponent's face.

In Turner's final 2000 season, everyone moaned about the bad luck the team had with kicks and kickers. Fair enough, but what drove me nuts was that every game was close enough to be lost by those plays. The team just didn't have a passion for crushing opponents. So every game seemed to go to the fourth quarter, until the team could find some way to blow the game at the end.

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

So every game seemed to go to the fourth quarter, until the team could find some way to blow the game at the end.

Tell me about it. Turner never perfected the art of running down the clock to protect the lead late in a close ball game. You just knew that every game would come down to the final possession. How many more games would we have won if we had gained a just a single first down instead of going 3-and-out every single freakin' time. Ugh. I'm getting ill just thinking about those days.

And I must say I'm just a little relieved that Spurrier has already addressed the issue in prior interviews by acknowledging the neccesity of running the ball to protect a lead late in the game.

27 to go...

Marty was quite a dolt when it came to third and fourth down situations as well, although most of that credit probably goes to my homey, Jimmy Raye.

We opted to go for it on fourth and one in the Chiefs game last year, and we PASSED the ball. It was knocked down and never got anywhere close to the intended receiver, which brings me to the end of the Bears game last year.

We had literally four chances from the three yard line to score a game tying touchdown. What do we do? Pass 3 times. Ugh. :puke:

I was listening to ESPN radio today with Kiper and I forget who, but apparently SS hates Kiper and won't be associated with him for whatever reason, so there is this feud or bad blood between them. Anyways continuing on, Kiper said that if SS wins a game with Woeful, he'll be his personal caddy. Love to see this happen.

"To me, you have to look out for your guys (players)".

Steve Spurrier

Says it all. He won't wilt and he won't say unnecessary things, or get into "power play". I mentioned this earlier, I believe a couple of months ago, that he also knows full well about big time scheduling, reviewing, evaluations ON THE FIELD. He mentioned the fact that those big (bowl) college games and his time with WR's on the Tampa Bay Bandits (who by they way went to the playoffs three straight years and sent some to the NFL), does count for something. As he said we'll see.

Not a single word uttered by the pundits with their seering unfounded criticism, have made an inroad or dent in Spurrier's steadfast approach. Couple a man like Marty, with Gibb's intelligence, Lombardi's drive and Don Coryell's tactics and you have Steve Spurrier. When I say like Marty, I mean his main staple (offense). This is his strength, like defense was Marty's.

Where they differ is SS has Lewis, whil Marty had the laughable Jimmy Raye (who I actually thought would use his KC schemes- he didn't).

Steve Spurrier will NOT mince words with management, but he IS THE BALL COACH!

Hail!

Yep,

It's gonna be fun watching this play out. I do think the first half of the season AT LEAST will be painful just like it was last year. There is a difference up here in the NFL. Right now, SS doesn't know what he doesn't know. BUT, he will figure it out and he will be successful here and it's gonna be fun. The Cowboys are his new Florida State and THAT will be very fun indeed watching him "kick some dirt" in thier collective faces as one you put it above!

Looking forward to it!!

Originally posted by fish

Yep,

It's gonna be fun watching this play out. I do think the first half of the season AT LEAST will be painful just like it was last year. There is a difference up here in the NFL. Right now, SS doesn't know what he doesn't know. BUT, he will figure it out and he will be successful here and it's gonna be fun. The Cowboys are his new Florida State and THAT will be very fun indeed watching him "kick some dirt" in thier collective faces as one you put it above!

Looking forward to it!!

Actually SOS said he hopes the 'pokes will be like Georgia, who I think we only lost to once in 12 tries. We weren't quite as successful against FSU. Either way he's going to put a spanking on them. If he gets the chance to run it up - he will.

Archived